News   Apr 19, 2024
 87     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 457     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 793     3 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

Cycling advocacy in this city is almost as extreme as subway advocacy. Bikeways, bikeways, bikeways everywhere!
One difference is that nobody is dying because Toronto isn't building enough subways. And, you know, the fact that cycle tracks don't cost billions of dollars. And the fact that nobody is advocating for cycle tracks on the basis of "deserving" them because some other part of the city has them. But hey, great comparison otherwise!

Cycling advocacy in this city is almost as extreme as subway advocacy. Bikeways, bikeways, bikeways everywhere!
Ah, but cycling infrastructure is more than a bit cheaper...here's a link to a comparison in SF:
http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/1-mile-protected-bike-lane-100x-cheaper-1-mile-roadway-chart.html

Proper cycle tracks (not bike lanes) cost between $100-500,000 per mile to install, including all the infrastructure changes. A less colourful, but more authoritative report on costs of bike infrastructure is here:
http://www.pedbikeinfo.org/cms/downloads/Countermeasure Costs_Report_Nov2013.pdf

And by the way, I love subways...I just love them in dense development when in appropriate, not attached to the end of a line in Scarborough.

One difference is that nobody is dying because Toronto isn't building enough subways. And, you know, the fact that cycle tracks don't cost billions of dollars. And the fact that nobody is advocating for cycle tracks on the basis of "deserving" them because some other part of the city has them. But hey, great comparison otherwise!

/s

Last edited:
Was your original post supposed to be ironic? I honestly can't even tell anymore when it comes to opinions on cycling in this city.

Last edited:
Extending the trail as far as south of Queen is a great start. Sudbury Street will get cyclists to King Street, but from there, it's necessary to improve the connection to Strachan Avenue (link to the Martin Goodman Trail) and across Wellington Street towards Downtown. Traffic signals at Strachan/Douro/Wellington are a must (edit: I see this signal is recommended in the report), I'd also want to see a re-alignment of Douro to meet Sudbury Street directly (which is not recommended).

Last edited:
Weren't the lights at Strachan/Douro/Wellington installed last week?

ETA: Yes, they were!

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 9.34.43 AM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 9.34.43 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 9.34.43 AM.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 531
Extending the trail as far as south of Queen is a great start. Sudbury Street will get cyclists to King Street, but from there, it's necessary to improve the connection to Strachan Avenue (link to the Martin Goodman Trail) and across Wellington Street towards Downtown. Traffic signals at Strachan/Douro/Wellington are a must (edit: I see this signal is recommended in the report), I'd also want to see a re-alignment of Douro to meet Sudbury Street directly (which is not recommended).

They might be able to extend Sudbury south across King and then east to meet with Douro - it seems like there's just a parking lot and a condo presentation centre there now - which would make the current King/Douro intersection redundant.

I hope the Railpath extension also takes into account the new bridge going across the tracks and Garrison Common - doesn't that start on Wellington?

I'm not surprised at all.

With the condo booms downtown and many places within biking distance of each other -- and not enough transit built -- a transit demand imbalance is occuring.

Despite using GO/streetcars/driving as my main mode of transits in recent years, I'm pretty glad there's a big-time bike advocacy now.

I commute into Toronto via GO. I'm reconsidering resuming using Bike Share Toronto again... so being able to spontaneously take a bike whenever I want to go to Kensington Market or St. Lawrence Market (both places aren't as quick by transit, as by bike from my downtown Financial District job). There are now an increasing number of bike corridors, and now I see people riding the lanes quite a lot during some times of the day.

(Now that it's getting easier to get around on bike from the location of my financial district area job, as I GO-commute to downtown. I see business suits riding a bikeshare quite often during good sreason nowadays).

I initially thought the "luxury" Sherbourne lanes might have been a tad "rich" for the benefits initially given not many destinations on the route. But ever since Queens Quay and Richmond/Adelaide -- better interconnections between bikeways -- I've seen bike traffic on Sherbourne dramatically increase last summer and I think it's now money well spent, despite me not currently being part of any Toronto bike advocacies.

Let's be fair -- it's a good thing that the bike advocacy exists even if I'm not part of it. It's a sensible use of tax per dollars.
See these examples I posted.

Last edited:
What distance will it cover? And the real question is, will council approve it and fund it?

What distance will it cover? And the real question is, will council approve it and fund it?

It will close the gap in the waterfront train in Etobicoke. if approved by council, construction will begin this spring and be completed in the summer.

Screen shot 2015-11-18 at 1.22.41 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-11-18 at 1.22.41 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-18 at 1.22.41 PM.png
    208 KB · Views: 377

Back