News   Apr 25, 2024
 354     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

Cycle TO has a sneak preview of the Bloor bike lane pilot design options.

Shaw to Spadina needs to be option A. Spadina to Avenue, I could accept either option A or option C.

Public open house is at Trinity-St. Paul's United Church, 427 Bloor St W, 4pm-8pm, December 2.
Nice to see this moving forward. I like the parking-buffered lanes. If it's just a normal bike lane, it has to have bollard and buffers like Option A. Really something more protective than bollards would be ideal.

Toronto Police OPS ‏@TPSOperations
Collision: Adelaide Street and Victoria Street -Cyclist struck

"Separated bike lanes" are not safe.

That's an absurd generalization, especially since we don't know how the collision occurred. It depends on the amount and type of separation.

As it stands, the Adelaide bike lane between Yonge and Victoria is almost entirely blocked by construction and cyclists are supposed to follow sharrows (which, of course, are more of a suggestion about where to ride):

IMG_5365.JPG

East of Victoria, however, the protected lane continues. Since there isn't traffic in all four directions at this intersection, there is less potential for conflict (except where drivers decide to drive/park in the parts without bollards).

IMG_5366.JPG
IMG_5367.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5365.JPG
    IMG_5365.JPG
    562.7 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_5366.JPG
    IMG_5366.JPG
    588.5 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_5367.JPG
    IMG_5367.JPG
    587.7 KB · Views: 541
Opened this year, in a non-world class city named New York City. From this link:

This spring, the Highbridge re-opened between the Bronx and Manhattan, the first car-free crossing linking the two boroughs. Now the second one in less than a year is open with the debut of the Randall's Island Connector. The project has been in the pipeline for what seems like forever, and on Saturday it opened to the delight of many South Bronx residents.

The connector provides a direct and easy link between the developing South Bronx greenway network and Randall's Island, with its athletic fields, picnic tables, miles of beautiful greenways, and stunning views of the Manhattan skyline. From Randall's Island, you can bike or walk to the big island via the 103rd Street footbridge.

Advance apologies for some of the sound. When the winds are gusting over 30 mph and you are below an Amtrak train trestle, well, those aren't ideal conditions. But kudos to the hundreds of people who showed up on a cold and blustery fall morning to celebrate the occasion.

It was a horrid month for fatalities indeed (of the 26 2 or 3 were cyclists).

A disproportionate number of bicyclists get injured or killed relative to the number of people who ride bikes. The number of people who drive is orders of magnitude higher than the number who ride bikes, so of course there will be more car accidents. A rather large percentage of serious car accidents are caused by impaired drivers. Also, I suspect that there are many minor bike accidents that are not reported to the police.

The fact of the matter is that bicycling in Toronto is dangerous. Isn't this rather obvious? There was a bike accident at Sheppard near Jane when I was writing this post. Yes, I know that I am going to have a hard time convincing other people in this forum, but the city put out a report a few months ago stating that bicycling is dangerous and that bike lanes are dangerous. Also I think that the vast majority of Toronto's population realizes this. Bicycles are a small percentage of the traffic downtown and you rarely see them in any other part of the city. Also the bike lanes downtown are filled with potholes, garbage, parked cars, streetcar tracks and other hazards.

The only way you are going to stop bike accidents is if you ban bicycling on major roads.

Yes, I know that I am going to have a hard time convincing other people in this forum, but the city put out a report a few months ago stating that bicycling is dangerous and that bike lanes are dangerous.

Vulnerable is a more accurate description than dangerous, I think.

The only way you are going to stop bike accidents is if you ban bicycling on major roads.

Alternate approach to stop fatal bike-car crashes: Ban driving on major roads.

I'd be more in favour of banning cars. Or banning people who suggest we should ban bikes.

This seems rather radical to me.

I mean banning bikes on major roads (except for walking them on the sidewalk), not banning them altogther. I just do not think that there is any way to make bicycling on major roads safe. We have tried separated bike lanes on a few roads in Toronto and they have obvious safety problems (streetcar tracks, vehicles blocking them, construction blocking them, etc.) I know it will never happen with the current city council.

From the statistics I have read, the methods of transportation, in order of most dangerous to least dangerous: motorcycle, bicycle, walking, driving, bus, train.

See http://webarchive.nationalarchives....h/rsrr/theme5/indepthstudyofmotorcycleacc.pdf

"Motorcyclists have an especially poor safety record when compared to other road user groups. Their killed and serious injury (KSI) rate in the UK, per million vehicle kilometres, is approximately twice that of pedal cyclists and over 16 times that of car drivers and passengers. Motorcyclists make up less than 1% of vehicle traffic but their riders suffer 14% of total deaths and serious injuries on Britain’s roads (DETR, 2000)."

In other words bicycling is 8x as dangerous as driving and riding a motorcycle is 16x as dangerous.

The fact of the matter is that bicycling in Toronto is dangerous. Isn't this rather obvious? There was a bike accident at Sheppard near Jane when I was writing this post. Yes, I know that I am going to have a hard time convincing other people in this forum, but the city put out a report a few months ago stating that bicycling is dangerous and that bike lanes are dangerous. Also I think that the vast majority of Toronto's population realizes this. Bicycles are a small percentage of the traffic downtown and you rarely see them in any other part of the city. Also the bike lanes downtown are filled with potholes, garbage, parked cars, streetcar tracks and other hazards.

See http://webarchive.nationalarchives....h/rsrr/theme5/indepthstudyofmotorcycleacc.pdf

"Motorcyclists have an especially poor safety record when compared to other road user groups. Their killed and serious injury (KSI) rate in the UK, per million vehicle kilometres, is approximately twice that of pedal cyclists and over 16 times that of car drivers and passengers. Motorcyclists make up less than 1% of vehicle traffic but their riders suffer 14% of total deaths and serious injuries on Britain’s roads (DETR, 2000)."

In other words bicycling is 8x as dangerous as driving and riding a motorcycle is 16x as dangerous.
Why are you using a study from the UK to prove that bicycling in Toronto is dangerous? Actually, why do you keep posting here if you hate bikes so much?

This seems rather radical to me.

I mean banning bikes on major roads (except for walking them on the sidewalk), not banning them altogther. I just do not think that there is any way to make bicycling on major roads safe. We have tried separated bike lanes on a few roads in Toronto and they have obvious safety problems (streetcar tracks, vehicles blocking them, construction blocking them, etc.) I know it will never happen with the current city council.

From the statistics I have read, the methods of transportation, in order of most dangerous to least dangerous: motorcycle, bicycle, walking, driving, bus, train.

We've barely begun to try separated bike lanes and the problems we've had with them stem not from the fact that that are separated bike lanes (or "separated bike lanes" as you like to call them) but from the fact that they have been implemented as insufficiently separated bike lanes: no real separation, too easy for vehicles to pull into them. Streetcars tracks aren't really an issue, since even a poorly separated bike lane provides an opportunity not to have to ride next to tracks or between cars and streetcars.

Also, if motorcycling is even more dangerous and there are probably more regular motorcyclists on the whole than cyclists, why not ban motorcycles? They're a hazard on city streets too.

Back