News   Mar 28, 2024
 127     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 186     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 251     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

Very interesting...I haven't noticed that in my last few visits to DC. I quite like the center of the lane approach, eliminates all of the right turn conflicts. I do wonder a bit how cyclists make right turns to get out of the cycle path.

There are signs and road markings indicating that the crosswalks should be used for turns: https://goo.gl/maps/E6sYkm6EJUB2

Next year the city plans to build a cycle track on the south side of Lakeshore Ave in Etobicoke, that will close a major gap in the waterfront trail.

Lakeshore Cycle Track at Royal York Draft July 2.jpg

Screen shot 2015-11-18 at 1.22.41 PM.png

More info: http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=644560560580f410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

Attachments

• Lakeshore Cycle Track at Royal York Draft July 2.jpg
    Lakeshore Cycle Track at Royal York Draft July 2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 494
  • Screen shot 2015-11-18 at 1.22.41 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-18 at 1.22.41 PM.png
    208 KB · Views: 471
I sure hope there are going to be physical barriers because I'm not looking forward to cycling towards traffic going west on Lake Shore the way it looks in that rendering. People park on that side now and bike lanes or not, they're going to keep doing it unless they physically can't. Or unless the city gets properly aggressive with handing out tickets.

Toronto Police OPS ‏@TPSOperations
Collision: Adelaide Street and Victoria Street -Cyclist struck

"Separated bike lanes" are not safe.

You're right, they're not safe when cars are in them.

And I'm talking physical barriers that keep cars out. Not little humps like on Sherbourne or flexi-post bollards

I sure hope there are going to be physical barriers because I'm not looking forward to cycling towards traffic going west on Lake Shore the way it looks in that rendering. People park on that side now and bike lanes or not, they're going to keep doing it unless they physically can't. Or unless the city gets properly aggressive with handing out tickets.

from the design info on the page:

Key features:

• Separated bi-directional/two-way cycle track on the south side of Lake Shore Blvd. W. between Norris Cres. and First St.
  • A variety of barriers will be considered to separate the cycle track from vehicular lanes, including a low concrete wall, curbs, bollards, planters, and painted buffer zones
  • Gaps in the barriers will be planned to provide to residential and commercial driveways
  • Ramp platform design at TTC stops to allow safe loading and unloading of passengers
  • Removal of parking on south side of Lake Shore Blvd. W. between Norris Cres. and First St.

Toronto Police OPS ‏@TPSOperations
Collision: Adelaide Street and Victoria Street -Cyclist struck

"Separated bike lanes" are not safe.

There are constantly cars and trucks blocking the "bike lanes" on Richmond/Adelaide, and there are streetcar tracks, and there is the hazard of cars turning right. Also part of Richmond is narrowed to one lane due to a condo construction site on one side and the bike lane on the other side.

I've lost track of how many times I have seen "cyclist struck" on the Toronto Police Twitter account. Riding a bike in Toronto is not safe.

I've lost track of how many times I have seen "cyclist struck" on the Toronto Police Twitter account. Riding a bike in Toronto is not safe.
Perhaps you might enjoy participating in another thread on this forum. We have duly noted your concerns in "Cycling is toronto bike friendly." In other threads you often have something useful to add to the conversation, however repeating the same point once every 10 posts in this thread is the definition of trolling.

Please and thank you!

i've lost track of how many times I have seen "cyclist struck" on the Toronto Police Twitter account. Riding a bike in Toronto is not safe.
Why are you trolling?

And really ... checking the last week of tweets from @TorontoPolice I don't see a single mention of cyclists. Collisions involving cars come up 12 times. And Sex comes up 12 times.

Surely we'd reduce suffering in society more by cutting off males genitals than we would worrying about cyclists.

I've lost track of how many times I have seen "vehicle collision" on the Toronto Police Twitter account. Driving a car in Toronto is not safe.
It's worth pointing out that October in Toronto was a really bad month for all forms of transportation with 26+ fatalities among cars, bikes, and pedestrians in collisions with vehicles:
http://bikingtoronto.com/blog/2015/11/carnage-october-2015/

We're sadly rather far from Vision Zero and efforts to improve safety for all drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists are clearly needed.

It's worth pointing out that October in Toronto was a really bad month for all forms of transportation with 26+ fatalities among cars, bikes, and pedestrians in collisions with vehicles:
http://bikingtoronto.com/blog/2015/11/carnage-october-2015/

We're sadly rather far from Vision Zero and efforts to improve safety for all drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists are clearly needed.

It was a horrid month for fatalities indeed (of the 26 2 or 3 were cyclists).

We have duly noted your concerns in "Cycling is toronto bike friendly." In other threads you often have something useful to add to the conversation, however repeating the same point once every 10 posts in this thread is the definition of trolling.

Attempting to explain facts to a fool is the definition of feeding the troll. Trust me, we tried everything with this guy.

Yup, he's a broken record. I'm adding him to my "ignore" list and I recommend that you do too. He's just as bad in other threads. In any thread involving LRT, you can find him doing exactly the same thing he's doing here: repeating the same tired arguments, over and over again, ignoring any attempts to correct his misinformation and faulty logic, and stubbornly insisting that we build subways everywhere, demand be damned. He's incorrigible.

Yup, he's a broken record. I'm adding him to my "ignore" list and I recommend that you do too. He's just as bad in other threads. In any thread involving LRT, you can find him doing exactly the same thing he's doing here: repeating the same tired arguments, over and over again, ignoring any attempts to correct his misinformation and faulty logic, and stubbornly insisting that we build subways everywhere, demand be damned. He's incorrigible.

I wish everyone would just use the ignore list. Let him talk to himself all he wants, we'll just carry on.

Back