News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 351     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 911     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

You should probably cycle on the sidewalk if the road looks like that. It's not like many people will be using the sidewalk
No. I'd leave the bicycle and walking shoes at home and take my car. That's what the designers of that road always intended me to do. If the powers that be now want me to cycle or even walk this road they need to redesign it.

Eglinton Today - Cycle Tracks and Streetscape improvements from Mt. Pleasant to Bicknell is up for approval at the next meeting of the Infrastructure and Environment Ctte:

Bonus item w/this, multiple bus stops on Eglinton are being consolidated/eliminated as part of this project which will make a faster 'local' bus service on Eglinton.

Some notable details:
  • "If the continuous cycle tracks are not approved for installation, Transportation Services would recommend that the short segments of disconnected cycle tracks already built in front of the underground stations be closed. Without connecting bikeways, these short segments have limited utility for people cycling and would require people cycling to merge in and out of higher speed motor vehicle lanes, resulting in safety issues and confusion around where people cycling should be on the road."

• "Subject to approval from Council, Transportation Services would implement the complete street project between Bicknell Avenue and Mount Pleasant Road in 2024, in conjunction with road resurfacing. However, in the vicinity of the Eglinton Avenue and Allen Road intersection, the complete street project for the section between Old Park Road/Glen Cedar Road and Marlee Avenue would be implemented only after adjustments are made to improve traffic operations at the intersection."

• "Later in 2024, preliminary study, design work and consultation is proposed to begin for the continuation of the complete street design eastward to Brentcliffe Road, to connect with the existing Metrolinx-built surface-level section of the LRT, completing the last gap in the Eglinton Avenue complete street design. Resurfacing of Eglinton Avenue from Mount Pleasant Road to Brentcliffe Road is planned for 2025 with the complete street installation proposed to be delivered in conjunction with this work, subject to Council approval, with a report to Infrastructure and Environment Committee on recommendations for Phase 2 anticipated in early 2025."

Last edited:
The City has published its 2023 Year-in-Review for Cycling:

No major news we didn't know, but a good synopsis of what was built, installed, including bike lanes/cycle tracks, Multi-use paths, Bikeshare Docks, Bike parking etc.

1714162679607.png

1714162975740.png

1714162701241.png

On Bikeshare, I will update that thread shortly, but they are now operating 796 docks/stations.

On Safety, we do seem to be making progress, certainly, there's a large improvement from the 2016-2019 period to the 2020-2023 period.

But we're sort of steady and need to see the downward trend resume.

1714163004233.png

Back