News   Apr 24, 2024
 987     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 631     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

That may be right - but it is possible. For items like the Bloor Street Bike Lanes I wouldn't be surprised if 2/3rds of council voted to bring it to the floor for debate if committee had voted against it.

There have been some small changes lately to help make the bike lane network more useable. One I can think of is making Temperance Street in the Financial District 2-ways. This helps incoming morning commuters as they can now take a right and access the Bay-Adelaide towers, plus Scotia Plaza and related tower bike parking, without a walk westbound on Adelaide or an awkward turn-around on Richmond / Bay / Adelaide. Another upshot is easier access to the Bike Share station on Temperance. It's a small change, not connected to the network, but it makes the network function more smoothly.
Temperance Street in the financial district was 2 way before the construction of Bay Adelaide Centre East started. It seems they just reverted it to its original configuration.

Back in the bike lanes this week. I've been a bit lazy this winter, and in spite of the good weather have only cycled about half of the days so far.

I picked up this G&M article on twitter - it seems to be about the Richmond/Adelaide lanes, judging from the photo:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...way-in-designated-bike-lanes/article34015444/

I actually like to see a right-turning car move into the bike lane before a corner, because it prevents a "right hook" type of collision.

I actually like to see a right-turning car move into the bike lane before a corner, because it prevents a "right hook" type of collision.
If that's the article I read yesterday, it caused me to scan the HTA on changing lanes. I never did have the time to find the relevant clauses, but that article failed to make clear (possibly because of the overlapping jurisdiction of "lane" and "path") that *any lane change* under the HTA requires the driver (or cyclist) to first attain the lane they wish to turn from before the actual turn. In other words, you are not allowed to *cross* lanes. Many motorists fail to do that, and many cyclists seem unaware of the motorist's right and requirement to do it. It's whoever gets there first that has the right to the lane. It doesn't help that so many intersections in Toronto (and elsewhere) don't comply with the HTA in many respects, one of the worst being the Bloor Lanes.

On Bloor, for instance, many side street turns don't have sufficient distance of broken lines (two car lengths is the prescribed practice) to allow a car to attain the cycle lane before turning. It truly pizzes off the bylaw officers too, and they can't ticket offenders because it's implemented so poorly.

Last edited:
If that's the article I read yesterday, it caused me to scan the HTA on changing lanes. I never did have the time to find the relevant clauses, but that article failed to make clear (possibly because of the overlapping jurisdiction of "lane" and "path") that *any lane change* under the HTA requires the driver (or cyclist) to first attain the lane they wish to turn from from the lane they are in. Many motorists fail to do that, and many cyclists seem unaware of the motorists right and requirement to do it. It's whoever gets there first that has the right to the lane. It doesn't help that so many intersections in Toronto (and elsewhere) don't comply with the HTA in many respects, one of the worst being the Bloor Lanes.

Agree Steve, in practice it seems to be a grey area. I'm a slow and deliberate cyclist who is happy to cede the right of way to a car. A faster or more aggressive cyclist might feel differently. It's not always easy for a motorist to tell which type of cyclist they're dealing with, based on a quick shoulder check or mirror glance.

Agree Steve, in practice it seems to be a grey area. I'm a slow and deliberate cyclist who is happy to cede the right of way to a car. A faster or more aggressive cyclist might feel differently. It's not always easy for a motorist to tell which type of cyclist they're dealing with, based on a quick shoulder check or mirror glance.
I just added a bit more clarity to my post, but you strike me as a being a savvy, careful cyclist. The Dutch and Danes cringe when seeing how Toronto is doing bike lanes. Exactly the situation you describe is an absolute no-no in their layouts, not least because as you state, drivers can't see you with the degree of neck vector needed before crossing that lane and turning.

The Bloor lanes have a litany of bad design features. Not so much the Adelaide and Richmond ones, where sight-lines are a lot better, save for some glaring danger spots (Bathurst and Richmond, for instance)

Thanks - it makes more sense now, and I agree about the "crossing" of lanes.
I'll try and dig out the relevant clauses from the HTA later, there's a few that pertain to this exact situation if they are lanes and not 'paths', which come under municipal jurisdiction. The irony of that article, presuming it's the one I think it is, is that they don't make clear that the protocol for changing lanes is and has been enshrined for *any* public roadway in Ontario for decades, if not more. Why it suddenly becomes a question is purely down to the ambiguity of 'lanes' v 'paths'. That cycle lane, for all the misunderstanding, is a full and complete lane of traffic under the HTA, (edit to clarify, the fact that the lane is protected by a solid white line is the key to this, when the line becomes broken, or if there's a need to enter a driveway, then the white line can be crossed, and that applies to cyclists the other side of that line too, it works both ways) and bicyclists in that lane must also observe all facets of the Act. Roller bladers and skateboards are not allowed on those lanes, but are on paths, minutiae in the Bylaw besides.

You see all sorts of violation of the lane change clause on the highways, especially approaching turn-offs, where drivers will do a vector across three lanes of highway to get their exit ramp. It's illegal, for good reason, and yet many cops do it too.

Last edited:
I'll try and dig out the relevant clauses from the HTA later, there's a few that pertain to this exact situation if they are lanes and not 'paths', which come under municipal jurisdiction. The irony of that article, presuming it's the one I think it is, is that they don't make clear that the protocol for changing lanes is and has been enshrined for *any* public roadway in Ontario for decades, if not more. Why it suddenly becomes a question is purely down to the ambiguity of 'lanes' v 'paths'. That cycle lane, for all the misunderstanding, is a full and complete lane of traffic under the HTA, (edit to clarify, the fact that the lane is protected by a solid white line is the key to this, when the line becomes broken, or if there's a need to enter a driveway, then the white line can be crossed, and that applies to cyclists the other side of that line too, it works both ways) and bicyclists in that lane must also observe all facets of the Act. Roller bladers and skateboards are not allowed on those lanes, but are on paths, minutiae in the Bylaw besides.

You see all sorts of violation of the lane change clause on the highways, especially approaching turn-offs, where drivers will do a vector across three lanes of highway to get their exit ramp. It's illegal, for good reason, and yet many cops do it too.
A proper cycle path/track is supposed to be grade separated or barrier separated from traffic, making lane changes impossible. A cycle path is no longer a lane of traffic.

A proper cycle path/track is supposed to be grade separated or barrier separated from traffic, making lane changes impossible. A cycle path is no longer a lane of traffic.
A cycle path never was a "lane of traffic". And a "cycle lane" remains one.
upload_2017-2-16_21-27-46.png

https://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toronto/Transportation Services/Cycling/Article/Understanding_bike_lanes_FINALweb.pdf

There's a lot of misunderstanding as to what constitutes a "track", since it is a route using lanes, paths and sidewalks:
What is a Cycle Track?
Cycle Tracks are separate lanes for bicycles that are adjacent to the roadway, but separated from vehicular traffic. The first such lane has been installed on Sherbourne Street between Bloor and King Street.

Why is Toronto building cycle tracks?
Cycle tracks help to make the area for cycling that is more separate from motor vehicle traffic than a painted bicycle lane. This fosters and environment which is safer for cycling, and which encourage people who wish to ride their bicycles, but do not feel safe in regular traffic lanes or in painted bicycle lanes.

Will the Cycle Track be cleared of snow, and other debris such as glass?
The level of service for ploughing and sweeping will be similar to that of the rest of the roadway.

Should pedestrians walk or stand in the cycle track?
No. Pedestrians should only walk on the sidewalk, not on the cycle track. The cycle track is for cyclists only.

Should cyclists ride on the sidewalk?
No. Cyclists should not ride on city sidewalks. Sidewalks are for pedestrians.

Are cycle tracks the same as multi-use park paths?
No. Multi-Use park paths are not part of a street. Cycle Tracks are part of the street. Multi-use paths are shared use facilities used by both pedestrians and cyclists in green spaces such as City parks. Cycle tracks in Toronto are built on roadways, next to sidewalks. Cycle Tracks are for cycling only and sidewalks are for pedestrians only.

Should people waiting for Transit vehicles stand in the cycle track?
No. Pedestrians should wait on the sidewalk, not in the cycle track, when waiting for a transit vehicle.

When a transit vehicle has stopped and opened its doors to pick up passengers, patrons should walk across the cycle track to board the transit vehicle.

When the doors of the transit vehicle are opened, cyclists must yield to these patrons, following the same protocol as when waiting for transit patrons to cross a curb lane to board a streetcar.

Should TTC Buses Stop in the Cycle Track, or regular Traffic Lane?
TTC Buses should stop in the regular traffic lane. Motor vehicles and cyclists must wait for TTC patrons to board the TTC vehicle before proceeding. When the doors of the TTC vehicle are open, cyclists must yield to these TTC patrons, following the same protocol as when waiting for TTC patrons to cross a curb lane to board a streetcar.

Why does the cycle track surface slope up and down TTC stops?
At TTC stops, the cycle track has been build to provide level boarding from the sidewalk, to the TTC vehicle.

Can emergency vehicles such as EMS or Fire Trucks stop, park, or drive in the Cycle Track?
From time to time, an emergency vehicle may cross or occupy a cycle track when responding to an emergency situation.

Should taxi drivers stop, park, or drive in the Cycle Track?Taxi drivers with regular patrons should not stop, park, or drive in the cycle track. Private vehicles under contract to WheelTrans may pick up or drop off persons with a disability by pulling into the cycle track.

Should private cars, trucks or SUVs stop, park or drive in the Cycle Track?
Private vehicles should not stop, park, or drive in the Cycle Track.

Should delivery or courier vehicles stop, park or drive in the Cycle Track?
Private delivery vehicles should not stop, park, or drive in the Cycle Track. Private delivery vehicles must find a legal parking spot near the cycling track which they can use to make their delivery.

Can E-Bikes drive in the Cycle Track?
In Toronto, only E-bikes which meet the City of Toronto definition of a "Pedalec" may be used in a Cycle Track. Learn more about the difference between a "Pedelec" and a "E-scooter" on the

Who has the right of way at intersections? Bicycles riding across the intersection in the cycle track or right turning vehicles in the regular traffic lane?
Signs have been erected at intersections giving the cyclists in the cycle track the right of way. Motorists turning right at an intersection must carefully shoulder check for cyclists using the cycle track, before merging across the cycle track in order to make their right hand turn.

I want to ride more quickly than the cyclist in front of me, how do I pass slower cyclists now that a curb separates the cycle track from the other traffic lanes?
It is important to be respectful of all cyclists using the cycle track.If you are in a section of the cycle track where passing other cyclists is not possible, remember that there are many breaks in the cycle track's curb including intersections, driveways and other junctions where there is more space to pass.

When I'm passing a slower cyclist, how much space should I leave between me and the person I'm passing?
Please pass other cyclists only when the space between the widest point on your bike, and the widest point on the other person's bike (usually handle bar to handle bar) has a minimum of 10 inches to 1 foot clearance. Always pass on the left. It can be dangerous to pass a slower cyclist when you are travelling in close proximity.

How do I position myself in the cycle track, if the cycle track is busy and I know I will be passed by faster cyclists?
Slower cyclists are encouraged to comfortably position themselves to the RIGHT side of the cycle track, so that they may more easily be passed by faster cyclists on the LEFT.

Is there a polite way to let someone know that you will be passing them as you approach?
The standard practice for both mountain bikers and road cyclists to say "on your left", "rider left" or "passing left" as you approach the cyclist you will be passing. You don't need to shout, just politely alert them to your presence in a regular speaking voice. You can also use your bell to help make other riders you are approaching them from behind.

Can I wear earbuds to listen to music while riding in the cycle track?
Whenever and wherever you are cycling, the more aware you are of your environment you are, the better. For this reason, refraining from listening to music, particularly loud music, is a good choice to make for your own safety. Music is a distraction which may make you less aware of other cyclists, vehicles, and pedestrians nearby.

A new cycle track is being planned for my street; will the cycle track impact my property access?
Property access for vehicles using laneways or private driveways will be maintained. Careful consideration is being given to the impact of vehicles exiting a site and the potential conflicts with cyclists. Vehicles could totally block the bike lanes as they wait to enter the abutting traffic streams.

A new cycle track is being planned for my street; will traffic or parking in my neighbourhood be affected?
On certain streets, parking spots may need to be removed to ensure there is enough space to build a cycle track. When this is the case, City staff endeavour to find opportunities to create new parking spots on nearby adjacent streets. City staff encourage individuals who may be affected to contact bikeplan@toronto.ca or phone our 24 hr. voicemail at 416-338-1066 so that we may consider your concerns as the cycle track design is developed.

A new cycle track is being planned for my street, how do I contact the City to discuss my concerns?
City staff encourage individuals who may be affected by a new cycle track which has been built, or is in the design phase to contact bikeplan@toronto.ca, or phone our 24 hr. voicemail at 416-338-1066 so that we may consider your concerns as the cycle track design is developed.

When and where will there be public meetings for cycle track projects?
Please learn more about the planned cycle track projects, including when and where public meetings will take place for each project by visiting the web pages for pages for the cycle track projects in development.
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=f97edd5e4cf12410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD#a01

Right turn at intersection

(2) Where a driver or operator of a vehicle intends to turn to the right into an intersecting highway, he or she shall, where the highway on which he or she is driving has marked lanes for traffic, approach the intersection within the right-hand lane or, where it has no such marked lanes, by keeping immediately to the left of the right curb or edge of the roadway and he or she shall make the right turn by entering the right-hand lane of the intersecting highway where the lane is marked or, where no such lane is marked, by keeping immediately to the left of the right curb or edge of the roadway being entered. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (2).

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-16_21-27-46.png
    upload_2017-2-16_21-27-46.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
From this link:

Bike lanes on Bloor St. have increased driving time and boosted number of cyclists

City plans to makes changes to the street after data shows the cyclists using the road has increased 36 per cent, while driving times during afternoon peak are 8.5 minutes longer.

The city plans to make alterations to the pilot project of separated bike lanes on Bloor St. West, after preliminary data showed that while they have increased cycling rates they have also led to significantly longer travel times for drivers.

Data on the one-year pilot project was collected last September and October, just weeks after the bike lanes were installed, and transportation staff stress that the numbers are interim and shouldn’t be used to judge the success of the bike lanes. The figures were released to the Star after it filed a freedom of information request.

They show that while the number of cyclists using the lanes increased by 36 per cent, from 3,300 a day before the lanes went in to 4,500 a day afterwards, car travel times during the afternoon peak period increased by 8 minutes and 25 seconds. In the morning peak period they increased by just over 4 minutes.

Prior to the lanes being installed between Shaw St. and Avenue Rd. it took just over 11 minutes to drive from Bay St. to Ossington Ave. during afternoon rush hour. Afterwards it took 19 minutes and 39 seconds. Driving times on parallel corridors weren’t adversely affected.

Daily car traffic volumes on Bloor St. also fell by about 22 per cent, which combined with the greater number of cyclists pushed the mode share of bicycles on the street from 12 per cent to 18 per cent.

Barbara Gray, the city’s general manager of transportation, is aware that critics of the project will see the increased driving times as proof that the bike lane isn’t working. But she said that by changing the timing of traffic signals, implementing turning and parking restrictions, and tweaking the bike lane design at trouble intersections, she fully expects to reduce the negative impact on car traffic.

Gray said that the city didn’t implement any of those kinds of operational changes to the street when the lanes went in, and the transportation department always intended to adjust the project once it had measured traffic and cycling patterns.

“We designed the pilot so that we had the opportunity to see how it was working and modify it based on the data that we see. We also don’t love the increase in travel times but we have ways to mitigate that and that’s what we’re going to move forward and do,” she said.

Areas of specific concern for traffic bottlenecks are where Bloor St. intersects with Bathurst St., and at Avenue Rd., where the bike lanes begin.

Pointing to the increased cycling rates, as well as survey results that show 64 per cent of local residents and businesses believe the lanes make Bloor St. safer, Gray said that the initial findings were encouraging. “We look at this and see it as very positive for the phase of the project that this is in right now and we have the capacity to make it even better.”

Councillor Joe Cressy, who represents one of two wards that the bike lanes pass through, has been a vocal proponent of the cycling project. He said that the “early data shows that there has been a very positive response but of course it’s a work in progress.”

“We put a bike lane on Bloor St. and the world didn’t end. People like it, they feel safer, and cycling is up. But we have more work to do and improvements to make,” said Cressy (Ward 20, Trinity-Spadina).

City staff will collect a second round of data in May and June, after the modifications have taken place. Gray said that information collected then will provide a more accurate picture of how the lanes are working.

The city installed the bike lanes on a 2.6-km stretch of Bloor St. in August, after city council overwhelmingly approved the pilot project. The vote of 38 to 3 was a huge victory for cycling advocates, who have been pushing to add bike infrastructure to the major downtown route for forty years.

The $500,000 pilot had the backing of Mayor John Tory, who said at the time of the vote that in order to build a “21st Century city” council needed to “provide alternate ways to move people around the city.” But he also warned that he would have no trouble calling for the lanes to be removed if the data showed that they weren’t working.

In an emailed statement on Thursday, the mayor said he had been watching the project “carefully.”

“It’s important to me that cyclists, drivers and pedestrians have safe and efficient routes through the city,” he said.

“At the half-way point of this process, we have preliminary data that will help us to make changes to improve the flow of people along Bloor and make sure this new street design works for everyone. I look forward to seeing the end result so city council can evaluate the pilot in its entirety.”

A report on the pilot project is expected to go before the public works committee in October. It’s expected to include recommendations to council on whether to keep, modify, or remove the lanes.

Apparently, the single-occupant inside a 3 ton Hummer is considered, by motorists, as being much, much more important and must have a greater right to the road than the single-occupant of a 14 kg bicycle. Just because they look larger and need more real estate, doesn't mean motor vehicles should have the road just to themselves.

The city will make alterations to the Bloor Bike lanes based on preliminary data that was collected last Sept and Oct (6 weeks after the installation).

- Cycling increased by 36%, from 3,300 per day to 4,500
- Approx 25% of those are new cycling trips, while the rest have re-routed from Harbord/Dupont
- Car traffic volumes decreased by 22%
- Driving times in the afternoon peak are 8.5 minutes longer
- Driving times in the morning peak are 4 minutes longer
- Driving times on parallel roads are unaffected
- 64% of local residents and businesses believe the lanes make Bloor St safer.
- 63% of motorists feel safer driving next to cyclists on Bloor, compared to 14% before the pilot
- 53% of local business reps surveyed agree the bike lanes are worth the tradeoffs
- Staff will collect a second round of data in May and June, after the modifications have taken place

The city's GM of transportation says that by changing the timing of traffic signals, implementing turning and parking restrictions, and tweaking the bike lane design at trouble intersections, she fully expects to reduce the negative impact on car traffic. Areas of specific concern for traffic bottlenecks are where Bloor St. intersects with Bathurst St., and at Avenue Rd., where the bike lanes begin.

http://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toronto/Transportation Services/Cycling/Files/pdf/B/Bloor_Pilot_February_2017_Update_web1.pdf

Of course DMW has selectively read the data and made up his mind.

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 1.25.09 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 1.25.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 1.25.09 PM.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 455

Back