News   Apr 23, 2024
 228     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 439     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

image.jpeg
Streetcar track removal on Richmond isnalready underway. The north side of Richmond has seen a complete replacement of the sidewalk between Yonge and Bay. Hard to believe this is going to take all the way to December to finish.

Also, I saw Gerrard and River today. River doesn't appear to have been started, though I'm sure it'll be any day now. Gerrard seems to have had the entire north sidewalk replaced, with most subsurface work done on the north side. I presume paving of that bit will be soon then work will shift to the south side.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 553
This summer is getting a bit tough for cyclists and drivers in Toronto. So much construction. Richmond is almost shut down. In addition to College being shut down at Bathurst, it appears to be one lane in each direction all the way out to Dufferin. Queen has sewer construction. Half the streetcar routes are detouring somewhere. This summer is making it not fun to get around.

My commute route on bike has shifted to Harbord which is now crazy busy. Tons of cyclists. I really feel for drivers on this route though, as right now, the 506 and 511 replacement buses are detouring on it in addition to the 94 already using it. It's a parking lot at commute hours.

The busy downtown construction - which has impacted so much of the cycling infrastructure - is partially thanks to the PanAm Games, which delayed some planned works, like Gerrard Street to this year.

There's also the Don River Trail closure (for at least another week) and the Humber River Trail closure at Highway 401, so the MTO can rebuild some bridges there without cyclists and pedestrians in the way.

But Tory found money to re-open a lane on the Gardiner early!

This summer is getting a bit tough for cyclists and drivers in Toronto. So much construction. Richmond is almost shut down. In addition to College being shut down at Bathurst, it appears to be one lane in each direction all the way out to Dufferin. Queen has sewer construction. Half the streetcar routes are detouring somewhere. This summer is making it not fun to get around.

My commute route on bike has shifted to Harbord which is now crazy busy. Tons of cyclists. I really feel for drivers on this route though, as right now, the 506 and 511 replacement buses are detouring on it in addition to the 94 already using it. It's a parking lot at commute hours.

I've actually found College to be not too bad, almost better in some ways. The part just west of Bathurst is really quiet as traffic is diverted onto adjacent north-south streets (which are now busier, but not unbearably so) and only the intersections with stop signs are slightly trickier (because no one can handle impromptu four-way stops). College/Bathurst itself can be traversed on the north side. West of Ossington the south side curb lane is set off with construction barrels, so it's kind of separated (but bumpy).

Will the City be installing those flexible bollards (the name of which escapes me) along the Adelaide bike lane between Yonge and Bay anytime soon? IIRC, they were not originally installed along this stretch due to road work in the south curb lane. But that work appears to be long over. One recent afternoon, I saw three trucks and four cars parked in the bike lane in this block.

The Adelaide and Richmond cycle tracks are awful excuses for protected bike lanes.

On a hopefully dissimilar note, the City yesterday announced it will commence construction of the Bloor bike lanes pilot on August 2nd, with expected completion to come in mid-August.

There were road crews patching the asphalt on Bloor near Spadina yesterday, I would say work has sort of begun already. Looking forward to the lanes, I anticipate they will be well used.

Back