News   Apr 18, 2024
 691     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.2K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

The problem is that bicycles do not come with lights already on them, like motor vehicles. Maybe the city, province, or feds should require that all new and used bicycles must have lights and either a horn or bell already on them.

If it's a requirement, there should be some kind of standard for how loud the bell is and for how reliably it and the lights function. In Montreal, all the bixis come with bells and lights... except the lights don't work half the time, the bells only work after a couple attempts, and don't work when they are wet, and even when they do work they are less than useless (they are made to give a soft chiming 'ding' sound rather than operate as a safety device.) I keep "turtle lights" on my backpack as a precautionary measure for if I take a bixi.

It's a hazard and a lawsuit waiting to happen that their lights/bells are designed more as an accessory/decoration than as safety equipment. I was hit by a car while riding a bixi (left hook) despite continuously ringing my bell to make sure they knew I was there because the bell was too quiet. On another occasion, a pedestrian stepped in front of me without looking as I was riding in the separated bike lane - I anticipated this happening since they looked oblivious and I tried to ring the bell proactively but it didn't work after 3 attempts, and by then it was too late to prevent a collision.

From this link:

In France and Germany there are laws so that new bicycles have to come with lights. Presumably the French and Germans thought that this would be a good idea for road safety and there must be some statistics that prove these laws to not be a waste of time. Presumably these laws did not make cycling so expensive, killing the trade in new bikes and deterring people from cycling.

Maybe in Toronto or anywhere in Ontario, we should require that if the buyer does not supply a working light, that the retailer or seller supply and install a working light. The seller should also supply and install a working horn or bell and reflectors.

Maybe as well, if the owner of the bicycle brings in a bicycle for repair, and if the bicycle does not have a working light and a horn or bell, they will not be able to return the bicycle until there is a working light and horn or bell. Could be simple as a battery, supplied by the owner to make it work.

The problem is that bicycles do not come with lights already on them, like motor vehicles. Maybe the city, province, or feds should require that all new and used bicycles must have lights and either a horn or bell already on them.
I followed your links on this, and the discussion is one (or similar) that we should be having here...with one massive proviso (and a big nod to Brainfreezed), the *sensibilities* of the Dutch and Germans is absent in most of the Toronto cycling diaspora. It's even a bit remote to the Brits, (who also have a *massive problem* with lycra louts and just plain loonies on bikes) and yet part of the EU. It's an Anglo thing, oddly, although the Aussies, who've had wrenching debates on the cycling issue (they're jock lovers as a nation, but reactionary against cycling infrastructure), are even coming around on it. You could even offer to tuck Toronto cyclists into bed, and read them a bedtime story about how perfect they are, and many would still not bother to turn their bikelights on when needed. *It just doesn't apply to them!*

That being said, it would help a small minority of cyclists to do the sensible thing, but I have to question how applicable *behavioural change* is for TO cyclists in general, when they can't even look over their shoulder before turning...

lol...I shouted at a cyclist yesterday blowing through all the stop signs...that she was dragging her handbag straps in her spokes. She couldn't or wouldn't hear. She had her headphones on full blast.

Hey....

Btw: In that UK thread discussing the German and Dutch sales model, this is mentioned in the article and reader replies, and has a prominent role in the UK, there's nothing similar in Canada:

RoSPA: The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents

Last edited:
If it's a requirement, there should be some kind of standard for how loud the bell is and for how reliably it and the lights function. In Montreal, all the bixis come with bells and lights... except the lights don't work half the time, the bells only work after a couple attempts, and don't work when they are wet, and even when they do work they are less than useless (they are made to give a soft chiming 'ding' sound rather than operate as a safety device.) I keep "turtle lights" on my backpack as a precautionary measure for if I take a bixi.
You absolutely have a point, but unfortunately it's not one that would be pursued under 'safety' legislation, merely not living up to the sales contract.

Smart move on carrying your own back lights, I can't even cycle without proper cycling gloves, let alone lights at night. People say "Well you can just take the bike back and get another one that works"...but that misses the point. That defect should have prevented the bike being recirculated, or at the least, the rider warned before taking it. It's way too late to find out with cars whizzing past at a fraction of a metre. Bad enough with lights...let alone without.

As for bells, they're purely for being gracious when passing pedestrians or other cyclists. Motorists at speed can't hear them. Plus who in their right mind is going to waste valuable seconds to go for the bell? You jam on the brakes and *scream!* (Obscenities help sometimes...)

For the life of me, I don't get that cohort that insists on continually ringing their bells in traffic. It diverts attention from other cyclists straining their senses for any change of nuance in the traffic.

At long last, from The Star, at this link:

Toronto council votes to make the Bloor St. bike lanes permanent

Following a year-long pilot project and decades of advocacy by the city’s cycling community, council backs separated lanes between Shaw St. and Avenue Rd.

The Bloor St. bike lanes are here to stay.

Following a year-long pilot project and decades of advocacy by the city’s cycling community, council voted Tuesday to make the separated lanes between Shaw St. and Avenue Rd. permanent.

The vote was 36 to 6, with Mayor John Tory voting in favour. Two of his four deputy mayors, Denzil Minnan-Wong and Stephen Holyday, were opposed.

A city staff report released last month found the pilot project met its key objectives and recommended it be kept. Transportation department staff said the study, which included traffic counts, public surveys, and economic data, was the most extensive evaluation the city has ever conducted of a project of this kind.

Councillor Joe Cressy (Ward 20, Trinity-Spadina), who represents part of the pilot area and is a major supporter of the bike lanes, told reporters council’s decision to keep a bike lane on one of downtown’s major streets marked a “tipping point” in efforts to build cycling infrastructure in Toronto.

“Today’s decision I think puts to bed the old debate that it’s bikes versus cars, or bikes versus business. What this vote and the staff report in support of it has shown is that when you build a bike lane and you design it well, it’s a win-win for everybody,” he said.

“And now the task becomes to build bike lanes in other areas, all across the city.”

The report determined the bike lanes, which were installed along a 2.4-kilometre stretch of Bloor last August, increased cycling rates, didn’t have an overly detrimental effect on car travel times, and had the broad support of cyclists, drivers, pedestrians, and local residents.

The report found the lanes had also improved safety and reduced conflicts between all road users by 44 per cent.

Councillor Mary-Margaret McMahon (Ward 32, Beaches-East York) argued safety should outweigh all other considerations. Moments before the vote she put up photos on the overhead screen in the council chamber of three Toronto cyclists who have died this year, including 5-year-old Xavier Morgan.

“Providing proper cycling infrastructure is the difference between life and death. This should be a unanimous vote,” she said.

The Bloor bike lanes are already the second-most travelled cycling facilities in the city, behind only the Richmond-Adelaide separated lanes. Roughly 5,220 riders used the Bloor lanes on an average weekday, according to city counts, which represents an increase of 56 per cent compared to before the lanes went in.

However, adjacent cycling routes on Dupont and Harbord Sts. saw declines in rider volume, which partially offset the increase on Bloor. City staff told council that when all three streets are taken into account, the Bloor lanes led to 370 additional daily cycling trips in that part of the city, or about a 3 per cent increase.

Critics of the project argued that wasn’t enough new riders to justify inconveniencing drivers. The city report determined travel times for motorists on Bloor increased as much as 4 minutes and 15 seconds, to about 15 minutes and 30 seconds after the lanes went in.

“What is the cost to people that simply just want to get home after a day’s work, and need to get to work on time in the morning?” asked Councillor Holyday (Ward 3, Etobicoke Centre).

“Sometimes people need to drive. People know that there’s a cost to doing that. I just want to make sure that people’s lives remain livable.”

In a speech to council, Mayor Tory dismissed arguments against the lanes, said that while the layout of the lanes could be improved, making them permanent was “the right thing to do, the balanced thing to do, and the far-sighted thing to do.”

“We are not talking about a revolutionary change here,” he said.

Local business associations supported the bike lanes and the city’s economic impact study found the project didn’t have a detrimental effect on retailers. The report found just 10 per cent of people who travel to Bloor arrive by car.

However, several councillors raised what appeared to be the concerns of a minority of merchants who have reported the lanes have hurt their bottom lines.

In a letter sent to council Monday a group called the Annex Business Bike Alliance claimed the city data was inaccurate and their sales were down as a result of the bike lanes. The group asked the city to change the bike lane design to “mitigate the disruption to our businesses.” Council approved a motion to consult with the group on potential changes.

City staff were already planning to make tweaks to the bike lanes. The public works committee voted last month to direct the city to consider modifications to improve traffic flow, pedestrian safety, and loading for local businesses, and also to perform cycling counts during the winter. Council approved that direction Tuesday.

There are tentative plans to extend the bike lanes further east on Danforth Ave. Council is expected to consider that option in early 2018 as part of a review of the city’s 10-year cycling plan.

DOEFVgKX4AAiDvJ.jpg

Suburban Councillors (wards 1, 2, 3, 7, 34, 39) voted NO. No surprise there.

Maybe time to replace these with ones who think 21st century, instead of the automobile addicted late 20th century.

Last edited:
Well, only six of them. For something billed as controversial, this is a surprisingly lopsided result. Shows that the tired War on the Car arguments aren’t so relevant anymore.

Well, only six of them. For something billed as controversial, this is a surprisingly lopsided result. Shows that the tired War on the Car arguments aren’t so relevant anymore.

So can we talk about all those doomsday predictions of city council voting to tear out the bike lanes?

Yeah, surprise surprise... It wasn't controversial at all. Nobody saw any votes to win in opposing the bike lanes. The only people who voted against it were the centre-right puritans.

I have trepidations, healthy ones, of where Toronto goes from here. It's not the time to be sanguine on the outcome of the vote. The Bloor lanes are far from being acceptable the way they are. Toronto has a nasty habit of sitting on laurels.

It will take continued pressure to keep the impetus moving on this.

I think anything west of Keele would receive too much opposition from the local residents. Bloor lanes in the Annex had its hurdles despite overwhelming support from residents. The situation is reversed here.

In other news, the Adelaide / Bathurst intersection was receiving its final coat of asphalt last night when I biked home from work. We'll see what it looks like tonight.

The whole project was stalled for over a month waiting for Hydro to relocate a light standard, that finally happened last week so it looks like the contractor is finally moving to finish the project, well over a month late.

I think anything west of Keele would receive too much opposition from the local residents. Bloor lanes in the Annex had its hurdles despite overwhelming support from residents. The situation is reversed here.

you could do it as a trail on the south side of the street along High Park at least, though yes, as you get into Bloor West Village, it would be a bit of a fight.
Got to fully agree on both posts. It's going to be far too easy to think it's a cake-walk from here on in. It won't be. Best to concentrate on getting what's already in place and get it right. A lot of the existing infrastructure is very poor, if that. A lot is just downright dangerous. Extending the Bloor lanes west to the West Toronto Railpath would make a lot of sense. The Bloor-Dundas West intersection will be addressed with the 2280 Dundas project with a bike path paralleling the underpass at Bloor Station. At least valuable connections to Roncesvalles can be made there.
In other news, the Adelaide / Bathurst intersection was receiving its final coat of asphalt last night when I biked home from work. We'll see what it looks like tonight.
I was just about to cycle past there to see what progress is being made. The unfinished construction made that a very dangerous situation with cyclists clogging the sidewalk with no place for pedestrian safety, not to mention the open grate ditches in the road when approaching it.

For a project touted as being as being so important and meaningful for Toronto bike infrastructure, it seems to have a low priority on the City's radar in terms of completion.

Bloor bike lanes between Dundas and approx. Clendenan should be among the easiest to implement. It's such a wide right of way through there. For much of it, you could probably add bike lanes without even affecting existing traffic lanes or parking much at all. The Dundas-Keele stretch even included bike lanes in the Bloor/Dundas Avenue study 8-ish years ago.

Back