News   Apr 18, 2024
 287     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The sad thing is a co-worker of mine who is pro-LRT (and someone who is very against the SSE) has told me repeatedly that wait until the Eglinton LRT is done, it will change your mind about LRTs. This LRT is supposed to stand for how wonderful a properly done, modern, next-generation LRT can be.

..Yea I don't think that's gonna happen.

The shelters are separate topic from the LRT technology. Part of the same package sure, but shouldn't detract from the ability and performance of LRT technology.

The shelters are separate topic from the LRT technology. Part of the same package sure, but shouldn't detract from the ability and performance of LRT technology.

the thing is anytime in the future that they wanna propose an LRT, eglinton will be looked at as an example. If it goes well and is well received then expect little resistance to future LRT construction. If the shelters end up being a problem, we wont hear the end of it when they propose another lrt line.

the thing is anytime in the future that they wanna propose an LRT, eglinton will be looked at as an example. If it goes well and is well received then expect little resistance to future LRT construction. If the shelters end up being a problem, we wont hear the end of it when they propose another lrt line.
I could see how other lines might demand tunneled after seeing Eglinton's poor station shelters.

Or subway, in the case of Sheppard.

But Finch and K-W should be complete before Eglinton, Hurontario and Hamilton should be getting their own treatment, and the Waterfront should be lucky to get a cardboard box as a shelter.

Which LRT line is threatened by Eglinton having poor shelters, beyond Sheppard (which is getting subway or nothing, most probably nothing)?

They will do the same as they did with Spadina LRT, Harbourfront LRT, and St. Clair LRT. If people complain, they will say they are not true LRT and the next one will be better.

But Finch and K-W should be complete before Eglinton, Hurontario and Hamilton should be getting their own treatment, and the Waterfront should be lucky to get a cardboard box as a shelter.

Heh. Better be corrugated cardboard or I won't be happy. One thing I'm wondering about the Crosstown shelters tho, is it possible those renders are merely stand-ins (and what we'll actually get will be more attractive and rider-friendly)? IIRC in 2010ish there was news that the art component for Crosstown got immediately cut back. Not sure if the island stops and their look were part of that. But maybe Metrolinx is currently working with a company like Astral to design shelters that will be debuted later?

They will do the same as they did with Spadina LRT, Harbourfront LRT, and St. Clair LRT. If people complain, they will say they are not true LRT and the next one will be better.
None of these lines are rapid transit, nor are they on the TTC subway map.

The Crosstown is rapid transit and will be on the subway map.

A whole bunch of trees were cut down on the north side of Eglinton at Sloane. Are they widening the road or the sidewalk, or is it just for construction purposes? The stop will be in the middle.

bermondsey_aerial.png

I'll check the exact location again to be sure, but IIRC, the trees cut down would be the ones in the strip of grass just below the sidewalk at the top of the above image. However, clearly, trees are intended to remain there according to that image.

A whole bunch of trees were cut down on the north side of Eglinton at Sloane. Are they widening the road or the sidewalk, or is it just for construction purposes? The stop will be in the middle.

bermondsey_aerial.png

I'll check the exact location again to be sure, but IIRC, the trees cut down would be the ones in the strip of grass just below the sidewalk at the top of the above image. However, clearly, trees are intended to remain there according to that image.
Ah yes, confirmed. I took a couple of pix.

16358993-57ee-401b-bbf3-aa160b8ae7d5_zps6sahrmpx.jpg

99E8352F-43F7-4D84-86F8-1F8AE40B59A9_zpsdlkeiw9h.jpg

I wonder what is being done then. Cuz in the second pic the city has fenced off some trees to indicate these trees are protected and should not be cut down.

So something is being done there. Perhaps it's nothing to do with the Eglinton Crosstown, I dunno.

I think they are going to begin widening the roadway along Eglinton some time soon as they want to maintain the same number of lanes as it has already along with the LRT lanes in the middle of the road. The only real casualty of it will be the HOV lanes for two or more people in the car, cabs and buses as they will be removed.

A "visible" development coming up.

Caledonia Station, West Portal and Elevated Guideway Open House

From link:

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

York Memorial Collegiate Institute

2690 Eglinton Avenue West

west_portal_and_elevated_guideway_open_house_map_june_2017.jpg

Join us at our upcoming open house and learn about the future Caledonia Station, West Portal and Elevated Guideway. The west portal is where vehicles will enter and exit the underground tunnel, just west of Keele Street. Between the portal and Mount Dennis Station, vehicles will travel on bridged tracks on an elevated guideway.

Join Metrolinx and its constructor, Crosslinx Transit Solutions (CTS), at an open house to find out:

• the design of the West Portal and Elevated Guideway
  • what construction is happening in your neighbourhood
  • when it is happening
  • why it needs to happen
  • how it may impact you
  • who to contact if you have questions/concerns

Back