News   Apr 24, 2024
 961     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I believe tunnelling ended many months ago, they were being disassembled and are only now coming out.

Anyone have any idea when the western TBMs, Dennis and Lea, will be extracted? They are presumably still sitting under Eglinton Avenue at about Duplex. They finished months ahead of the eastern TBMs, Don and Humber, but I guess they'll be removed as part of the Eglinton LRT platform construction. Btw, this station (LRT and subway) should be renamed Eglinton-Yonge, but whatever.

Anyone have any idea when the western TBMs, Dennis and Lea, will be extracted? They are presumably still sitting under Eglinton Avenue at about Duplex. They finished months ahead of the eastern TBMs, Don and Humber, but I guess they'll be removed as part of the Eglinton LRT platform construction. Btw, this station (LRT and subway) should be renamed Eglinton-Yonge, but whatever.
If they don't rename it, it would either be because the forgot or have no logic what so ever.

You are the one who's going around telling us how the LRT is inferior to your plan. If anything, you're the armchair critic.

Pardon my assertiveness.

I'm just critiquing how Crosstown West seems to going towards the way of real rapid transit (all the midblock stops getting omitted, grade separated stations, elevation over Eglinton Flats) meanwhile Crosstown East is stuck with a 18-stop milk run service stopping every 500 metres or so, that in my opinion - based on current alightings at each intersection where a stop is proposed - seems highly unnecessary. How many people are getting off at Falmouth, Mason and West Hill outside of school hours? 100 combined tops?

Am I being harsh to a mother with a stroller who has to walk an extra 200 metres to a station? Perhaps, but the majority benefits with subwaylike spacing and grade separation; which is all I was trying to emphasize.

Yes vote out all people telling the truth and we can all live in a fantasy land.
the people living in a fantasy land are those that think a 1 stop subway will help the majority of people living in scarborough or bring all this development and think that 3.5B which will increase is ok for a 1 stop. And even if tis built and development comes, people will be against the developement

the people living in a fantasy land are those that think a 1 stop subway will help the majority of people living in scarborough or bring all this development and think that 3.5B which will increase is ok for a 1 stop. And even if tis built and development comes, people will be against the developement
@Palma - this may not be a rational universe and the journey back from the planning stupidity to something resembling normal planning, approval, construction and completion is long. This year marks the first completion of something material - TYSSE - in a very long time.

Furthermore - in a rational universe - the citizenry would see transit improvements as improvements to the quality of their lives. We are a ways from that as we are debating expense and willingness to pay for it as though there is no payoff. That is just weird. Everywhere else in the world, citizens clamour for improvement.

I'm just critiquing how Crosstown West seems to going towards the way of real rapid transit (all the midblock stops getting omitted, grade separated stations, elevation over Eglinton Flats) meanwhile Crosstown East is stuck with a 18-stop milk run service stopping every 500 metres or so, that in my opinion - based on current alightings at each intersection where a stop is proposed - seems highly unnecessary. How many people are getting off at Falmouth, Mason and West Hill outside of school hours? 100 combined tops?

Crosstown West may be treated as a special case, since it has two large destinations at the western end; Pearson terminals and the Airport South employment cluster. A very large percentage of riders will travel to those places, either boarding at a major interchange like Yonge, Allen, Mt Dennis, or transferring from a N-S bus route.

In such case, a service model with fast trips / wide stop spacing, and a parallel bus route to serve minor stops, is quite reasonable.

Other LRT lines or sections, such as Crosstown East, ECLRT between Laird and Kennedy, or Finch, are more for local service than from long end-to-end trips. Removal of local stops may be less justifiable.

With the BD subway extended to Scarborough Centre, and Durham Pulse BRT along Ellesmere, the fastest way to travel between UTCS and Kennedy will be a combination of bus to STC and one-stop subway ride. Eglinton East LRT will be slower than that, even if it has 12 stops instead of 18. There may be more value in tailoring that LRT for shorter trips.

With the BD subway extended to Scarborough Centre, and Durham Pulse BRT along Ellesmere, the fastest way to travel between UTCS and Kennedy will be a combination of bus to STC and one-stop subway ride. Eglinton East LRT will be slower than that, even if it has 12 stops instead of 18. There may be more value in tailoring that LRT for shorter trips.

This is a really good point. However, you're missing one crucial part of this "fastest" route, the fares.

Crosstown West may be treated as a special case, since it has two large destinations at the western end; Pearson terminals and the Airport South employment cluster. A very large percentage of riders will travel to those places, either boarding at a major interchange like Yonge, Allen, Mt Dennis, or transferring from a N-S bus route.

In such case, a service model with fast trips / wide stop spacing, and a parallel bus route to serve minor stops, is quite reasonable.

Other LRT lines or sections, such as Crosstown East, ECLRT between Laird and Kennedy, or Finch, are more for local service than from long end-to-end trips. Removal of local stops may be less justifiable.

I agree totally, LRT was always advertised in Toronto as basically a subway but above ground in the median of a street. This isn't really the case, LRT is more of an enhanced surface route rather than a rapid transit route. This isn't a bad thing at all though, LRT is still a major improvement over buses and it doesn't need to be as fast as a subway as long as it's reliable and stops where necessary. It's perfect for some corridors including Eglinton East and Finch West, just because it wont be as fast as the subway doesn't mean it will be slow, what's the point of having surface transit when the stops are so inaccessible (1 km away from each other)

We're using The Queensway streetcar right-of-way as a sample. A bad sample, unfortunately. One with "go-slow" orders at intersections. One with wobbly tracks (yet the railways use open track at high speed) that give riders a shake riding them. A "transit priority" that only delays the green light, not giving the streetcar the go first signal before the single-occupants making left turns.

They are rebuilding the right-of-way over the summer. So hopefully they can improve the experience on The Queensway to a more faster ride.

I guess the platforms will look something like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aircriss89/11487040794

11487040794_cfeebae09b_h.jpg

Back