News   Apr 19, 2024
 241     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 918     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.5K     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The drl was not originally part of this discussion. We're talking about Eglinton.

"Creative funding" - preferably not more of the same pixie dust magic ideas like tax increment financing that pretends not to raise taxes.
Just 50/50 Feds province with the infrastructure fund. Eglinton East needs to be a go or East Scarborough might try to stop the subway.
But we're not talking about eglinton west. I haven't heard the mayor or a councillor advocate for it since smarttrack eglinton west was shown to not be viable. Somehow it seems the west should be satisfied with RER.
Haha. Eglinton West is fine, it will be built.

Eglinton West is already a committed project. Metrolinx and the city already signed an agreement. It should be safe if John Tory gets reelected.

Eglinton East is not that far along in planning.

Eglinton West is already a committed project. Metrolinx and the city already signed an agreement. It should be safe if John Tory gets reelected.

Eglinton East is not that far along in planning.

How far along is the West? Eglinton East has received committed funding from the Feds and Province for design. Realistically
2020-2021 it could be shovel ready

The thing I wonder is under what political scenario could someone actually promise to correct this mistake.
  • First, maybe a campaign promise to extend the DRL to Sheppard.
  • Then, highlight how short sighted government was to not plan ahead with a station rough-in.
  • Follow that up with acknowledgement that ECLRT on street through Leslie also hurts the connectivity of the transit network.
  • Promise to grade-separate ECLRT.
All this promising means nothing. Perhaps if people could see the line started with the tunnelling, then they would believe promises to extend the line further.

I'd rather have Crosstown East delayed if that means the planners take more time and care to design it to be more subwaylike in nature i.e. with fewer stops and more grade separation.

I'd rather have Crosstown East delayed if that means the planners take more time and care to design it to be more subwaylike in nature i.e. with fewer stops and more grade separation.
Go on.

What does fewer stops and more grade separation on Crosstown East look like? How can it become closer to a higher-degree of rapid transit in nature?

Before answering, it might be useful to take a look at the stop-space between proposed stops in Crosstown East route. Scarborough is sort-of a big place.

Crosstown-East_Stop_distance.png

Would removing a stop or two necesarially improve operating speeds along the route? I'm doubtful.

Attachments

• Crosstown-East_Stop_distance.png
    Crosstown-East_Stop_distance.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 480
Go on.

What does fewer stops and more grade separation on Crosstown East look like? How can it become closer to a higher-degree of rapid transit in nature?

Before answering, it might be useful to take a look at the stop-space between proposed stops in Crosstown East route. Scarborough is sort-of a big place.

View attachment 100625

Would removing a stop or two necesarially improve operating speeds along the route? I'm doubtful.

I don't know what it is about this route that make people keep on calling for wide stop spacing, there's no reason for it, even just eliminating the two closest gaps would leave spacing of well over 800m.

I don't know what it is about this route that make people keep on calling for wide stop spacing, there's no reason for it, even just eliminating the two closest gaps would leave spacing of well over 800m.

There's very valid reason if half of these stops will be very sparsely used. Do any of you even venture through east Scarborough on a regular basis to know what I'm talking about, or are you just armchair critics?

Run a parallel bus if you think these intermediate stops are so vital to be served by a billion+ dollar rapid transit line. It's no wonder the line is in jeopardy.

And the central portion of the Crosstown Line does have 800 metre apart spacing through a far more densely populated area of the City. Is it too much to ask for someone to get from UTSC to Kennedy in 12 minutes versus 24? Time savings are indispensable.

The problem is that running a parallel bus costs extra money which they dont want to spend nor have to spend. What everyone seems to act like is that theyre is always enough money or if we wait people will be willing to pay more taxes. I said in this thread or another thread I would happily pay double my taxes if it meant we saw transit get built. On the other hand I dont want to pay double the taxes just to see people throw money around at projects which could be served at a lower cost. I am willing to admit that LRT isnt my preferred option but on a cost front it sure is. That is no different than my car purchasing. My number one choice would have been a Ferrari, but I drive a fiat because it gets me from point a to b maybe without the frills but it does the job.

Go on.

View attachment 100625

I've mentioned it in the forum before how to go about about fewer stops.

1. Consolidate some of the stops. Instead of Midland and Famouth, a single stop in the block from Commonwealth to Huntington. Combine Mason and Markham. Combine Kingston/Eglinton and Golf Club. Combine Lawrence and Kingston/Morningside. There you go. 4 highly trafficked stops versus 8 poorer performing ones.

2. Cut the West Hill stop. 116 bus covers this already.

3. 3 stops at UTSC is a bit much. A single underground station on the campus proper, followed by the secondary terminus at Military Trail/Morningside would be better IMO.

I've just taken 18 stops and turned it into 12. And the walking distances aren't vastly affected either. How am I the bad guy for suggesting a leaner, more efficient, more bang for our buck LRT line? If you think about it, I'm not really suggesting to cut anything.

As for grade separation. Again this has been covered previously. Grade-separate at Brimley/Danforth Rd, Bellamy/Eglinton GO, Kingston/Eglinton, Guildwood GO, West Hill triangle, separate bridge crossing at Morningside Park/Highland Creek, UTSC campus, separate 401 bridge crossing if ever extended into Malvern.

I've mentioned it in the forum before how to go about about fewer stops.

1. Consolidate some of the stops. Instead of Midland and Famouth, a single stop in the block from Commonwealth to Huntington. Combine Mason and Markham. Combine Kingston/Eglinton and Golf Club. Combine Lawrence and Kingston/Morningside. There you go. 4 highly trafficked stops versus 8 poorer performing ones.

2. Cut the West Hill stop. 116 bus covers this already.

3. 3 stops at UTSC is a bit much. A single underground station on the campus proper, followed by the secondary terminus at Military Trail/Morningside would be better IMO.

I've just taken 18 stops and turned it into 12. And the walking distances aren't vastly affected either. How am I the bad guy for suggesting a leaner, more efficient, more bang for our buck LRT line? If you think about it, I'm not really suggesting to cut anything.

As for grade separation. Again this has been covered previously. Grade-separate at Brimley/Danforth Rd, Bellamy/Eglinton GO, Kingston/Eglinton, Guildwood GO, West Hill triangle, separate bridge crossing at Morningside Park/Highland Creek, UTSC campus, separate 401 bridge crossing if ever extended into Malvern.
Im ok with what you are suggesting up until "parallel bus service." I used to walk from huntingwood to finch to grab a bus because midland was so infrequent. However there is a loud majority or minority ( I have no idea which one) which seems to jump on me for suggesting that people can walk abit more between stops. I too would rather less stops while on the service than to have random stops. Anyways once these people break out the dont you think about people with disabilities, seniors, children arguments we are back to either keeping the stops or running a bus as you suggested. Unfortunately we dont have the money for the busses. Id prefer just thinking that the loud voices are a minority and therefore we should ignore them. I dont know.

Back