News   Apr 19, 2024
 322     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 553     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 923     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

If you take the example of the viva purple bike lanes the simple fact is despite making them hardly anyone uses it. What it has done however is compromise the right turning lane so now if buses or cars stop gridlock ensues. Sure bikes are good, but if there's not enough statistical usage to warrant a separate lane at the expense of the harmony of road traffic I don't think it would be a great idea. Drivers won't simply jump into the ect nor will there be a bloor or downtown level of bicycle traffic anytime within the next decade or so on the Eglinton at grade sections

what are you talking about? We must only study transit projects ad nauseum on their warrants/needs. Cycling simply requires an angry letter to council because it will save our city. /s

It's just not an inviting environment on Highway 7, I bet more people would actually bike in the area if the bike lines were placed on minor arterials that run parallel to Hwy 7 like 14th / John st and with connections to highway 7. It is however easy to just add bike lanes to a transit project and check off a TDM checkbox and seem like a beacon of progress in the media.

I think 15 minutes is too long to justify removing 2-3 lanes and making them sit empty most of the time. As I said in my post though, I think the merit of Highway 7 is that it's future-proof for development that is happening now and in the next few years. Ditto for the bike lanes.

if headways are 15 minutes then average wait time is closer to 7-8 minutes which isn't bad.

what are you talking about? We must only study transit projects ad nauseum on their warrants/needs. Cycling simply requires an angry letter to council because it will save our city. /s

It's just not an inviting environment on Highway 7, I bet more people would actually bike in the area if the bike lines were placed on minor arterials that run parallel to Hwy 7 like 14th / John st and with connections to highway 7. It is however easy to just add bike lanes to a transit project and check off a TDM checkbox and seem like a beacon of progress in the media.

So youre implying that city council would just bend over to whining and crying from a fringe group of lobbyists?? And guess what, Eglinton for the most part isnt as "inviting" of an environment as well as you hope it would be. Its just like yonge street up north york. That area has been developing for 60 years since the subway has opened. Wheres the bikes??? You dont see people whining and crying for bike lanes...

So youre implying that city council would just bend over to whining and crying from a fringe group of lobbyists?? And guess what, Eglinton for the most part isnt as "inviting" of an environment as well as you hope it would be. Its just like yonge street up north york. That area has been developing for 60 years since the subway has opened. Wheres the bikes??? You dont see people whining and crying for bike lanes...

Eglinton has a more inviting Road geometry and urban form that would be more conducive to cycling. However, you've got a great railway dedicated separated trail just north of Eglinton, why don't we leverage that and improve connections to Eglinton instead of trying to shove bike lines along Eglinton? Like I mention, this stuff just feels like a checkbox being checked off instead of really look at the needs or warrants and what would actually, you know...manage transportation demand.

In fact, you got to wonder how this made the "news" in the first place.

The opening line makes that pretty clear: "A Toronto developer says a deal ..."

12 paragraphs later and we get a statement from Metrolinx which is in response to a media inquiry. After that we have several paragraphs from the local councillor about `doing the right thing`.

It looks like the developer complained to the city councillor (probably to bitch at them about how long city approval was taking) then they called a reporter together to try and force Metrolinx to wait on the city.

You don't shut-down a wedding cake bakery because someone thinks the local No Frills might discount their bakers chocholate by 10 cents in the next 6 months. You also don't risk the timeline of a $4.4B project for $0.002B. Seriously, put in some vertical supports and knockout walls, then worry about selling air-rights later when they're equally useful. The folks getting worked up about this can't see the forest for the trees.

Last edited:
Eglinton has a more inviting Road geometry and urban form that would be more conducive to cycling. However, you've got a great railway dedicated separated trail just north of Eglinton, why don't we leverage that and improve connections to Eglinton instead of trying to shove bike lines along Eglinton? Like I mention, this stuff just feels like a checkbox being checked off instead of really look at the needs or warrants and what would actually, you know...manage transportation demand.

As someone who recently got hit by a car while biking in a *concrete curb-separated* bike lane, I completely agree that the best-designed on-street bike lane is not as good as a separated trail.

And before your comment, I didn't event know the Kay Gardner beltline trail existed. I don't understand why the city hasn't put effort into paving it and connecting it to the York Beltline trail...

As someone who recently got hit by a car while biking in a *concrete curb-separated* bike lane, I completely agree that the best-designed on-street bike lane is not as good as a separated trail.

And before your comment, I didn't event know the Kay Gardner beltline trail existed. I don't understand why the city hasn't put effort into paving it and connecting it to the York Beltline trail...

A private development is extending the York Beltline to Marlee Ave and I believe there are plans to improve the bike lanes on Roselawn to cross the Allen, but no formal plans for a crossing at Allen to connect them directly.

On Friday, tunnel liners were removed from the completed tunnels at the emergency exit building shaft adjacent to Leaside High School. They were pretty bashed up and cannot be used again for anything as far as I can see. This seems to be a waste of money and materials. Also, I assume the underground stations will all have their liners removed and trashed as well. How many hundreds of these liners are going to end up in land fill?

On Friday, tunnel liners were removed from the completed tunnels at the emergency exit building shaft adjacent to Leaside High School. They were pretty bashed up and cannot be used again for anything as far as I can see. This seems to be a waste of money and materials. Also, I assume the underground stations will all have their liners removed and trashed as well. How many hundreds of these liners are going to end up in land fill?

Concrete can be recycled, and there is no way around putting in the tunnel liners where they will be removed later,

TBMs don't function without liners or something giving them a push. These liners did the job; helping the TBM pass that location in the ground without a 3 month dig-down + manual push.

Last edited:
TBMs don't function without liners or something giving them a push. These liners did the job; helping the TBM pass that location in the ground without a 3 month dig-down + manual push.
Plus they don't have to dismantle and reassemble the whole thing like the TTC did with TYSSE. Without tunnel liners, they would have to excavate all stations and emergency exits ahead of time.

A private development is extending the York Beltline to Marlee Ave and I believe there are plans to improve the bike lanes on Roselawn to cross the Allen, but no formal plans for a crossing at Allen to connect them directly.

I think the Allen connection was put off because there was an environmental assessment going on for the Allen, which could have removed it. But they withdrew it from the process, so maybe it needs to be raised again.

As for paving it? Unnecessary.

edit: I didn't find a standalone thread for the Beltline Trail, so I started one.

Last edited:

Back