News   Apr 24, 2024
 627     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 831     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 549     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

If its the "finishing touches" thats left on on list I sure hope that they are throwing all available resources to this (overnight shifts if not done so already)
They really cant afford to waste another 2 weeks on this.

We have 5 years or more until the Crosstown opens. Another couple of weeks - or even months - for the first cars for the line isn't going to make or break anything, seeing as how they won't be able to run anywhere on the line for several years at least.

Unfortunately, those poor buggers in Kitchener, on the other hand.....

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

We have 5 years or more until the Crosstown opens. Another couple of weeks - or even months - for the first cars for the line isn't going to make or break anything, seeing as how they won't be able to run anywhere on the line for several years at least.

Unfortunately, those poor buggers in Kitchener, on the other hand.....

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

thats exactly what im implying ......Ion is relying on this pilot vehicle too for testing data.
if they cant get testing done in time there will be another long delay...we saw how long "testing" took for the flexitys

thats exactly what im implying ......Ion is relying on this pilot vehicle too for testing data.
if they cant get testing done in time there will be another long delay...we saw how long "testing" took for the flexitys

I'm not sure that Ion will be using any of the testing "data" from Metrolinx, to be honest. The first two cars are for Metrolinx to play with - why they need two, and this early in the process, is beyond me. But the length of time that the Toronto Flexities required doesn't really factor into the equation, because there's no existing Metrolinx track for them to need to test on. To a substantial degree the track is being built to the car's specs, not the other way around.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Are there any locations where one can photograph the moved building 9 without stepping into the construction site?

From the Crosstown website, at this link.

Traffic Disruptions on Eglinton Avenue West at Oakwood Avenue

Friday September 16 to Tuesday September 20

What Work is Taking Place?

Large heavy equipment will be delivered to the Oakwood Station Main entrance. Traffic will be interrupted at the intersection of Eglinton Avenue and Oakwood Avenue intermittently six times for a period of five to twenty minutes from Friday September 16 to Tuesday September 20.

Timing
  • Traffic interruptions will occur between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm from Friday September 16th to Tuesday September 20th
  • Work is subject to permits and all relevant approvals and may be rescheduled due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances.
What to Expect

Lane closure and traffic interruption are required to accommodate the delivery of large equipment to the Oakwood Main Entrance site. Approximately six loads will be delivered to the site during the noted dates; each load will require traffic to be stopped for a period of five to twenty minutes.

oakwood_mobilization.jpg

When the float arrives on Eglinton Avenue, traffic will be stopped while the float turns on to Oakwood Avenue southbound and then backs in to the construction site.

Traffic Details
  • One westbound lane closure on Eglinton Ave from west of Alameda Ave to Oakwood Ave.
  • Traffic will be stopped in all directions on six occasions for five to twenty minutes between Friday September 16 and Tuesday September 20.
  • Traffic will be stopped in all directions on three occasions for five to twenty minutes on either Sunday September 11th or Monday September 12th.
  • Paid Duty Officers (PDOs) will be on-site to manage traffic.
  • As always, please take care when travelling near work sites.
Pedestrian Details
  • Pedestrians will be unable to pass in front of the construction site when the equipment is being delivered.
  • All property access will be maintained.

TTC Details

• The bus Stop at the Oakwood/Eglinton Avenue intersection for westbound route #32 will be temporarily moved eastward to the end of the lane closure.

Thanks! Any idea what heavy equipment they're moving in site? I don't recall similar closures for any of the other stations, so I figure it's something we haven't seen before.

Thanks! Any idea what heavy equipment they're moving in site? I don't recall similar closures for any of the other stations, so I figure it's something we haven't seen before.

Likely oversized loads, like giant beams, pillars, or pipes.

536aaeb26a6ee.preview-1024.jpg

Or construction equipment, like cranes.
maxresdefault.jpg

Or all of them.

Oh I know it's oversized equipment, I was just wondering if anyone knew what specific equipment, so we could get an idea of the work that would be happening at Oakwood.
It all depends on what needs to be done at Oakwood. If demolition work is already done and nothing else has started then it is likely DEEP moving in their drilling rigs to start secant pile work. The larger crawler rigs are usually floated in pieces and put together on site with the assistance of a mobile crane.

Secant piles? Drilling Rigs? Check out Deep Foundations Contractor's website to better understand these things. http://www.deepfoundations.ca/

Oakwood is a mined station, not a cut n cover station. Presumably digging a mine requires some substantial equipment.

Last edited:
As far as I know, the crosstown will be using the TTC subway font on station walls. I don't have a source for that, though.

The TTC font has been in all design publications I've seen. Expect the whole thing to look similar to the TTC subway system.

Back