News   Apr 25, 2024
 353     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I was told at the open house that they spent hours and hours deciding what colours should the wall be and how it affects people. I guess reddish-orange is good.

did they hire consultants for that too?
It was talks between Metrolinx and the consortium. I assume there must be some expertise from the consortium. They say did their homework on the area. They design the size of the buildings for visibility and avoiding alleyways/hard to see locations that would become crime committing places.

I'll say it's a good thing look good for now. Overthinking is better than underthinking. The consortium is responsible for the design and delivery. They'll be responsible for the interior design, not Metrolinx.

Of course, later in the decades, all those colours on the wall will be attempted to be hidden behind advertisements (to make money from).

dundas1.jpg

They wanted something that people can walk in and out instead of forcing people to sit for an hour starting at a specific time. It was about Keelesdale not the entire line and was design for locals wondering about the situation. They try to put it closest to the entire line.

The two presentations are up: http://thecrosstown.ca/news-media/whats-new

Thanks for sharing - the trend of using Slideshare which does not allow you to download any presentations unless you sign up or login with your social media account is incredibly annoying and a dubious practice for a government body.

AoD

Thanks for sharing - the trend of using Slideshare which does not allow you to download any presentations unless you sign up or login with your social media account is incredibly annoying and a dubious practice for a government body.

AoD
Governments get money from our taxes. Social media websites get their money from selling personal information to advertisers. We should be able to access everything a government is allowed to offer to the public without having to resort to registering onto a commercial for-profit website. We are already paying taxes to the government. There is a good reason why some people browse using Firefox on Linux.

One more thing, SlideShare is owned by LinkedIn, which is itself a for-profit social media website.

Governments get money from our taxes. Social media websites get their money from selling personal information to advertisers. We should be able to access everything a government is allowed to offer to the public without having to resort to registering onto a commercial for-profit website. We are already paying taxes to the government. There is a good reason why some people browse using Firefox on Linux.

One more thing, SlideShare is owned by LinkedIn, which is itself a for-profit social media website.
They don't want to host it themselves when they can host it somewhere else for free cause the presentation is like 55MB. Bandwidth adds up quickly when 1000 users download large files. They're already wasteful and I'm sure they don't need to spend another $500+ on internet bandwidth.

They don't want to host it themselves when they can host it somewhere else for free cause the presentation is like 55MB. Bandwidth adds up quickly when 1000 users download large files. They're already wasteful and I'm sure they don't need to spend another $500+ on internet bandwidth.

The cost argument doesn't fly, considering hard printouts/posterboards/public consultations aren't cheap - plus existing presentations/reports of similar sizes are already hosted on the Metrolinx site. And you know what takes the cake? It is an unoptimized PPTX file.

I think they are more interested in getting data analytics and tracking who downloaded the files.

AoD

I may not be paying enough attention. What's happening? And was it unexpected?

**SIGH**. I wish I were a teenager writing this. I am a middle-aged person who was drawing lines on maps in high school for urban geography transit planning projects. I was born here, but I have been lucky enough to have lived and worked in a variety of cities around the world. I was a teen-ager when I went to Paris and saw my first faregate - amongst other things. Coming home, it was apparent that we had a problem with vision in the late 1980s.

rbt - I think we are sitting quietly - on the edge of our seats - because after two generations and thirty years of total failure on the vision front, the Eglinton LRT is progressing along - more or less on time - and with no backhoes in sight about to fill in the tunnels. There is a consensus that this is good. And it's happening. Credit to Metrolinx - notwithstanding other legitimate criticisms for station renders that show light, airy, consistent design and for having the balls to start a network by doing things like building Caledonia station as inter-modal (GO Barrie / Eglinton Crosstown LRT) from the get-go, and for that matter Downsview Park also as an intermodal (GO Barrie / Line 1 - YUS) station.

With a little federal help on maintenance...and (quite) a bit of help from the province, we are on the verge (again after thirty years) of seeing: TYSSE (Toronto, York, Spadina Subway) complete in 2017, Eglinton Crosstown LRT complete mid-2021, Finch West LRT complete late 2021. On the fleet side, there will be a slew of new vehicles in the fleet including the oft-criticized Flexity streetcars, new (additional) buses and perhaps more Toronto Rocket trainsets.

The city is planning a network - instead of more ridiculous spur lines (hallelujah) and we have waterfront reset, GO RER, perhaps some good ideas left in the Smart-track concept, getting the east and west extensions to ECLRT (Eglinton Crosstown LRT) funded and built on the same timeline as the current project and if we are very brave - and persistent as residents, voters and citizens maybe even shovels in the ground on the Relief Line.

It's happening - I think - means that we are growing up, getting our act together, making a plan, sticking with it, and building it out.

I just wish I were a teenager today...

Last edited:

Back