News   Apr 23, 2024
 570     1 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 397     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

So if the platform will be at street level, I assume it will be far enough from Weston Rd that the trains can dive under that street and then resurface again toward Jane?

From the updated EPR.
View attachment 66478
They are proposing to extend the new Photography Drive to connect with Industry Street, which connects with Black Creek Drive.

Jeez, I forgot how absolutely massive these facilities are. I'm wondering a couple things: a) is there a provision to affordably cover the storage tracks to keep the LRVs free from the elements while parked overnight; or b) has there been a design so that in the future Mlinx could actually deck over the tracks for future redevelopment overtop. With air rights leasing and the somewhat prime location, this could be a major boon to the Prov had it been considered.

*seems like the storage tracks cover almost 20acres. That's fairly sizable, particularly if zoned as high-density.

Last edited:
The tracks will go down an 2% incline from the Black Creek overpass (over Black Creek Drive) and into the hill at Weston Road. The station box may have a 1% incline. The current design will be have the station box partly exposed and partly in the hill.

Mount Dennis 3.jpg

This is the 2013 design, so it will be have to be updated.

Attachments

• Mount Dennis 3.jpg
    Mount Dennis 3.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 924
Is there any plan for a bus-only access/egress on the north side of Eglinton? It looks like all the bus access will be on the south side which will add longer times to every bus route

I'm thinking at Keelesdale Rd so it can go under the LRT and then head directly to the bus terminal.

With this left turn (stop light) being so close to Black Creek they will have to time it with traffic. That light is over a minute long and given the number of busses coming out of here that's serious additional time for each bus (and will add to bunching on Jane)
That is why I don't like about the TTC. They have to have buses loop into the station adding 2-3 minutes of unnecessary wasted time. From the west, I could see a lot of people getting off at Weston Rd and walking into the station instead of getting into the bus terminal. With Presto coming and the requirement to tap to get into the subway/LRT system, the whole concept of fare paid zone will change. Everyone, not just metropass users can get off early and walk into the station using their transfer registered on their presto card. It's going to be annoying to take the Weston Rd bus through Eglinton if it needs to loop into the station and out. It's like Wilson and Downsview station but worst.

When the LRT extends to the airport, they'll should build a bus loop at Eglinton/Jane and have the buses terminate there instead.

That is why I don't like about the TTC. They have to have buses loop into the station adding 2-3 minutes of unnecessary wasted time. From the west, I could see a lot of people getting off at Weston Rd and walking into the station instead of getting into the bus terminal. With Presto coming and the requirement to tap to get into the subway/LRT system, the whole concept of fare paid zone will change. Everyone, not just metropass users can get off early and walk into the station using their transfer registered on their presto card. It's going to be annoying to take the Weston Rd bus through Eglinton if it needs to loop into the station and out. It's like Wilson and Downsview station but worst.

And how are they supposed to build access to the bus platforms then? You've got the railway tracks on the west, LRT tracks on the south and east, and the LRT yard (for the time being) on the north. There simply is no other way to access the location where the bus terminal is going.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The tracks will go down an 2% incline from the Black Creek overpass (over Black Creek Drive) and into the hill at Weston Road. The station box may have a 1% incline. The current design will be have the station box partly exposed and partly in the hill.

A station box on an incline? I'm not a complete expert but that seems strange to me. Are any existing TTC stations inclined?

And how are they supposed to build access to the bus platforms then? You've got the railway tracks on the west, LRT tracks on the south and east, and the LRT yard (for the time being) on the north. There simply is no other way to access the location where the bus terminal is going.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The LRT tracks are elevated on the NW corner of Black Creek and Eglinton (where Keelesdale is now). Assume a bus is coming westward on Eglington. It would turn right onto Keelesdale. The bus entrance can follow the north side of the LRT ROW It can then skirt the east side of the redevelopment site south of Photography drive and then follow the Photography drive ROW into the bus bays. The only incremental pedestrian impact is an additional bus-only street on the North side of Eglinton. Coming out of the bus bays the 35 bus could do the same.

This would eliminate the need for any left turns onto Photography Drive from Eglinton (and the need for a traffic signal.

The LRT tracks are elevated on the NW corner of Black Creek and Eglinton (where Keelesdale is now). Assume a bus is coming westward on Eglington. It would turn right onto Keelesdale. The bus entrance can follow the north side of the LRT ROW It can then skirt the east side of the redevelopment site south of Photography drive and then follow the Photography drive ROW into the bus bays. The only incremental pedestrian impact is an additional bus-only street on the North side of Eglinton. Coming out of the bus bays the 35 bus could do the same.

This would eliminate the need for any left turns onto Photography Drive from Eglinton (and the need for a traffic signal.

Except that it would still need to cross the access to the yard in some manner, either underneath or overtop of the yard leads. And as far as I can figure, you'd have some severe grade issues either way there, either with the roadway or with the tracks (which already have to drop from the yard to the mainline).

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back