News   Apr 24, 2024
 906     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 607     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I'm surprised no one at Metrolinx thought of Forest Hill North as an possibility. In fact this is the actual name of the neighbourhood, whereas Forest Hill is centred more towards St Clair rather than Eglinton. Even google maps knows this.

Type "Forest Hill" in to Google Maps and it will include "Forest Hill North". "Forest Hill North" is a subset of the "Forest Hill" neighbourhood, not a separate, exclusive neighbourhood.

Forest Hill is fine for Bathurst.
They are silly to change Eglinton West to Cedarvale and I hope they rebrand the Yonge Line station (Eglinton-Yonge).
As for Fairbank and the rest, they can always add the major streets like Dufferin Street, Keele street etc on the station tiles just like on the Spadina line.

It's so complexe for nothing...Really not the end of the world

Montreal has 2 stations on St.Laurent boulevard (splits Montreal in half). The green line station is "Saint-Laurent" while the blue line is named "De Castelneau". Life still goes on in Montreal and so will it in Toronto.

I guess the Metrolinx board members have more common sense than the people who were coming up with the names. I hope common sense prevails in the end.

Type "Forest Hill" in to Google Maps and it will include "Forest Hill North". "Forest Hill North" is a subset of the "Forest Hill" neighbourhood, not a separate, exclusive neighbourhood.

The area north and west of Bathurst/Eglinton was indeed part of the old Town of Forest Hill. If one were pedantic, one would use the old municipal boundary as the dividing line for the name. Forest Hill was absorbed into Toronto in 1967, and that boundary was pretty arbitrary and not intuitive. The realtors have done a good job of adjusting the consensual boundary to make everyone happy.

The original commercial centre of Forest Hill was south on Spadina, In my youth, locals referred to it as 'The Village'. There is more commerce up on Eglinton these days. I Guess names move around. But really.....are we going to rename Yonge/Bloor to Yorkville ? I hope not.

- Paul

I feel like 99% of people don't care about the name of the stations and it's 100% a waste of money to even waste time getting public input for station names. Over time any name that is chosen will just become the "norm". Is this something that is required to be done for transit projects or this just some type of community outreach approach to make the stations more a part of the community fabric?

I feel like 99% of people don't care about the name of the stations and it's 100% a waste of money to even waste time getting public input for station names. Over time any name that is chosen will just become the "norm". Is this something that is required to be done for transit projects or this just some type of community outreach approach to make the stations more a part of the community fabric?

We've already tried this experiment. 50 years after the University Line opened people still don't know where Osgoode, St. Andrew or St. Patrick Stations are located, as was pointed out by the Metrolinx board. There's no reason to expect things to be different with Eglinton Line. These station names will never become the "norm". If selected, Torontonians will be asking "what intersection is Forest Hill Station" as long as these stations exist.

Why can't we just name them by the major cross streets and be done? When you are giving directions it's just Bathurst (on Line 2 or on Line 5). Done.

I hate to agree with them, (since they sounded so clueless in those quotes) but I've lived at Yonge/College for 7 years (and Sherbourne/Wellesley for 6 years before that) but I still can't make St. Andrew vs. St. Patrick stick. I just know they're those King or Queen equivalents.

I hope they rebrand the Yonge Line station (Eglinton-Yonge).

I sent an email to Metrolinx about this, and it felt silly, but nonetheless, here's the gist of it.

I strongly dislike the idea of naming the proposed Eglinton-Crosstown station at Yonge and Eglinton as just "Eglinton". I strongly believe the original name of Eglinton-Yonge is much more intuitive. I have applied Metrolinx's 5 station naming principles to this situation to give weight to this:
  1. Simple: While "Eglinton" is the most simple name, "Eglinton-Yonge" adds minimal complexity.
  2. Logical: It also follows the same naming convention as Bloor-Yonge and Sheppard-Yonge stations, which are similar interchange stations. Furthermore, it is confusing that "Eglinton" station would be on the Eglinton Crosstown line along Eglinton Avenue.
  3. Durable: There will likely never be another area in the GTHA that refers to an intersection of streets or other features named Eglinton and Yonge.
  4. Self-Locating: Optimal station name are associated with a cross street, neighbourhood or landmark, but "long streets can be inefficient at self-locating." "Eglinton-Yonge" is at Eglinton and Yonge in Toronto; you can't get better at pinpointing the station location than that. "Eglinton" is inefficient at self-locating because "Eglinton" could be anywhere along Eglinton Avenue, which stretches from Kingston Road in Scarborough in the east, to Highway 407 in Mississauga in the west. In fact, "Eglinton" is already a placeholder name for the Hurontario-Main LRT in Mississauga.
  5. Unique: See Points 2 to 4 above. There is no other area referred to as Eglinton and Yonge.

Back