Toronto Crosstown LRT: Leaside Station | ?m | 1s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Do you prefer the name Leaside or Bayview for this station?

• Leaside Station

Votes: 51 56.7%
  • Bayview Station

Votes: 39 43.3%

• Total voters

WislaHD

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This thread is for posting pictures and updates for the Leaside station on the Eglinton Crosstown, situated at the intersection of Eglinton and Bayview.

Updated renderings:

ext_leaside_main_day_final_60.jpg

ext_leaside_secondary_final_60.jpg

bayview_concourse.png

bayview_intview.png

ext_leaside_aerial_final_60.jpg

I also added a poll to this thread asking the question if whether the name Leaside or Bayview is more appropriate for this station, as that question has been especially contentious for this station in the past.

These entrance buildings are awfully large, take up lots of space, and there are two of them. It would be better if they were incorporated in new development instead of being stand-alone buildings.

These entrance buildings are awfully large, take up lots of space, and there are two of them. It would be better if they were incorporated in new development instead of being stand-alone buildings.

The larger building will have retail at street level.

There was also a deal with a residential developer to build a condo above the station box, but the community is against the idea and I believe the plan fell through due to timing issues.

It can't be called Bayview due to the #4 line station of the same name. Are you proposing it be changed as well?
There are options.

The current station on Sheppard could easily be renamed Bayview Village Station seeing as that is where Bayview Village is. The station here could then be accurately called Bayview Station.

Alternatively, let the Sheppard station keep the name Bayview, and have this station be called South Bayview Station, seeing as just south of Eglinton is the South Bayview BIA and the local paper is called the South Bayview Bulldog.

Or you know, have two Bayview Stations since I have yet to have heard a compelling argument why other cities can have stations with duplicate names and Toronto cannot. If it is for accessibility and navigational reasons, then if you ask me, I find it a bigger issue that 98% of Leaside is greater than 5 minute walk away from Leaside station, and that the heart of Leaside (Laird and Eglinton) is not named Leaside Station. People looking to get off in true Leaside (say visiting a friend at Laird and Parkhurst) might mistakingly end up at Bayview and Eglinton.

It would be nice to see the station entrance pavilions get some distinctive architectural features to give them some visual identity and help people distinguish them from afar. Every entrance pavilion along the line is a minimalist glass and concrete box with cliched ornamental grass as landscaping.

Make the public realm attractive so that public transit has some chance of competing with a car beyond on a cost or even time level. Automakers spend millions each year to make the bodies and interiors of their models comfortable and attractive. People pay good money for that and vote with their feet for comfort and style.

I'm a Leasider and I'm OK with it not being called Leaside station. It does border on Davisville and Lawrence Park. Bayview makes the most sense, with the current Sheppard subway station renamed to Bayview Village Station.

There are options.
The current station on Sheppard could easily be renamed Bayview Village Station seeing as that is where Bayview Village is. The station here could then be accurately called Bayview Station.

Metrolinx's Eglinton Crosstown station names have been finalized since beginning of 2016 after public consultations.

The TTC will not rename Bayview Station on Sheppard STUBway line as Bayview Village Station. It'll just open up another "Leaside Station" debate since Bayview and Sheppard is really just at the border of "Bayview Village"!

250px-Bayview_Village.png

Bayview Village: "The area is bordered on the north by Finch Avenue East, on the west by Bayview Avenue, on the east by Leslie Street, and on the south by Highway 401, and also including the grounds of North York General Hospital, east of Leslie in the neighbourhood's southeast corner, according to the City of Toronto's definition.[1] The Bayview Village Association regards the east boundary as the Don River (east branch) and the south boundary as Sheppard Avenue East, thereby excluding land between the Don River and Leslie, Sheppard and Highway 401."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayview_Village

And thus, there'll be idiots saying "Hey, why don't we just rename Bessarion Station as Bayview Village Station since it's closer to the middle of Bayview Village!" Or we can even rename Leslie Station as Bayview Village Station or North York General Station or IKEA Station or whatever,.... and then Sunnybrook Park Station on Eglinton Crosstown could be named Leslie Station. Thus, in the end the TTC and Metrolinx would be renaming 6 stations including 3 established TTC stations on the Sheppard STUBway line.

Another reason for the TTC not to rename Bayview Station on Sheppard STUBway line as Bayview Village Station is the anti-TTC situation with Bayview Village Shopping Centre. During the design of Bayview Station about 20 years ago, there was an option for Bayview Station (at northeast corner of Bayview and Sheppard) to have an exit/entrance into the hill belonging to Bayview Village Shopping Center which would have provide a much better connection between the TTC subway station and Bayview Village Shopping Centre. But Bayview Village Shopping Centre refused it because they didn't want "those type of people" at their shopping centre! Huh? What type of people? TTC users!!! Bayview Village Shopping Centre is an affluent high-end mall,.... and they're snobby!!! They didn't want to encourage TTC users (ie: regular folks) into their mall! Seriously! Oh, and don't even get me started on their view against more cycling infrastructure like simple bike racks to their mall,....

In this photo, the TTC Bayview Station (natural tan colour brick with cement and glass structure) is to the extreme left at top of the hill,... a very slippery hill during the winter! Finally, for Arc Condo (2885 Bayview) which was completed about 5 years ago, as you can see in this photo,... CityPlanning ensured the POPS (Privately Owned Public Space) included stairs as an alternative route to that slippery hill!
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/arc-condo-sheppard-bayview-daniels-16s-kirkor.6287/page-15

BayviewVillageSC_Hill.jpg

Above image from: https://niksellscondos.com/2015/01/...320-for-sale-in-the-heart-of-bayview-village/

BTW, Bayview Village Shopping Centre is now exploring the possibility of adding 2-3 residential only and mixed-use condo towers to their parking lots. Design work being done by Hariri Pontarini Architects and Dialog Architects. Currently no "official" development application with CityPlanning but once it's in, the City will be pushing for better connectivity between Bayview Station and Bayview Village Shopping Centre!
Bayview-village-plans-f5f40789.jpg

http://www.postcity.com/Eat-Shop-Do/Do/July-2016/Towers-for-Bayview-Village-shopping-centre/

Attachments

• 250px-Bayview_Village.png
    250px-Bayview_Village.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,249
  • BayviewVillageSC_Hill.jpg
    BayviewVillageSC_Hill.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,265
  • Bayview-village-plans-f5f40789.jpg
    Bayview-village-plans-f5f40789.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 1,260
Last edited:
Leaside Station on Line 5 should have a built-in McDonald's to replace the McDonald's that was demolished to make way for Leaside Station's main entrance.

This would allow transit users to grab a Big Mac or such within the fare-paid zone. Yes, St. Clair station (which also has a built-in McDonald's) isn't far, but it's great to have convenience, as well as to serve as an apology (Dundas West station also has a built-in McDonald's as well).

Can we get over this provincial fear that we might be provincial? People will get used to whatever name a station gets.

I would rather have unique names, and am happy to have area and landmark names used for stations. I think it reinforces local character, and I like that. Lots of you seem not to agree as Bayview is leading in the poll currently—60% to 40%—but I think you're underestimating people.

No matter what a station is called, if one is not familiar with where it is, you still have to explain it. Kipling station? That's west of Kipling on Aukland Road, near where Bloor and Dundas both intersect with Kipling at the Six Points. Maybe they should have called it Six Points station. That's on Aukland Road, just southwest of where Kipling and Dundas and Bloor all meet. Is there any significant difference between the two?

Once a location has been explained to someone they'll get it: Bayview station is Bayview at Sheppard, Leaside station is Bayview at Eglinton. Until they know where a station is, you still have to explain it to them no matter what the name. Leave out the location information of the unique name and call them both Bayview, and you'd have to say on which line you mean. It's one or the other, and the difference for me is that I would rather have the location info built into the name to, like I said, reinforce local character.

Can we get over this provincial fear that we might be provincial? People will get used to whatever name a station gets.

I would rather have unique names, and am happy to have area and landmark names used for stations. I think it reinforces local character, and I like that. Lots of you seem not to agree as Bayview is leading in the poll currently—60% to 40%—but I think you're underestimating people.

No matter what a station is called, if one is not familiar with where it is, you still have to explain it. Kipling station? That's west of Kipling on Aukland Road, near where Bloor and Dundas both intersect with Kipling at the Six Points. Maybe they should have called it Six Points station. That's on Aukland Road, just southwest of where Kipling and Dundas and Bloor all meet. Is there any significant difference between the two?

Once a location has been explained to someone they'll get it: Bayview station is Bayview at Sheppard, Leaside station is Bayview at Eglinton. Until they know where a station is, you still have to explain it to them no matter what the name. Leave out the location information of the unique name and call them both Bayview, and you'd have to say on which line you mean. It's one or the other, and the difference for me is that I would rather have the location info built into the name to, like I said, reinforce local character.

And once you explain to people that if there's duplicate station names you just have to look at the line the station is on. Or do what LA subway does and hyphenate the station names for each intersection so there's no confusion about where the station is. I don't get this love for unique station names. I prefer practical ones.

I always wondered why the College Station wasn't named "Carlton" Station. Maybe they knew that "Queens Park" Station would not have been named "College".
Carlton street ends at younge and becomes college to the west of it. The name doesn't really have anything to do with U of T or any other university.

Back