2.2K     3 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 733     0 

Costco - 2000 Eglinton Avenue East

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This slipped quietly under my radar and I didn't notice any other posts on it.

But an application has been filed to modify an existing building at 2000 Eglinton Ave. East into a Costco Business Centre.

I'm assuming that's a regular Costco; and I'm also assuming the existing building is the former Zellers at this site.

Proposed modifications to the existing building and site to accommodate a new Costco Business Centre.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys 0 # of Units 0
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 16 114425 ESC 37 SA Feb 9, 2016

In the United States, Costco does operate around 10 Costco Business Centres which are a modified and downsized version of a traditional Costco but I don't think that they have opened one in Canada yet. Here is a link to a fact sheet from Costco that describes their business centres and how it differs from a traditional Costco.

http://02ea98a.netsolhost.com/pdf/Business Center Fact Sheet.pdf

In the United States, Costco does operate around 10 Costco Business Centres which are a modified and downsized version of a traditional Costco but I don't think that they have opened one in Canada yet. Here is a link to a fact sheet from Costco that describes their business centres and how it differs from a traditional Costco.

http://02ea98a.netsolhost.com/pdf/Business Center Fact Sheet.pdf

Thanks for the info.

New info to me.

I wonder if their focus is net new traffic, or more taking some of the strain off Warden/Ellesmere? The new Overlea location will already serve the latter purpose. But
with year over year same store sales growth that is the envy of many retailers, Costco can support fairly significant expansion.

Costco is extremely disciplined in everything they do. They would only open a new store if they believed that it would generate enough incremental sales volume to justify the investment. Two of the interesting facts that Costco discloses about the Costco Business Centre is that it averages 3 times the sales per customer than a regular Costco and that 1/2 of the sales volume is done by delivery.

My own guess on this is that Costco is looking for a new format to grow their overall business. As they have modest opportunities for additional traditional warehouses in Canada, this could allow them to another wave of growth as well as taking advantage of the weakness of other players in the business supply market (e.g. Staples).

The Costco that is going in at 427 & 7 in Vaughan is also supposed to be a 'Business Centre'.

Costco is already operates business centre online -- Costco.ca.

I am an accountant. I order supplies online. Prices quoted online includes delivery to my place. Prices of laser printer tones, including delivery by UPS, is a lot cheaper than retail prices at Staples. A few years ago, I had needed heavy duty staples. I had to order 5000 staples ( 2 boxes x 2500). Delivered price at my place was cheaper than the price of 1 box at Staples. Of course, they do not carry everything online. They have toners for my printer but not the drums. Perhaps volume is not there. Once the business centre opens, it might have that as well.

Back