Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

We should call upon the Norwegian architect Aarstiderne to take over.

posted by :mlm on skyscrapercity.com
lighthouse2.jpg

It's because they could never build it like that. For one, there would have to be some sort of 'safety system' (i.e. a railing) to keep people from falling off the side. That said, if it ever gets built I will make a pilgrimage to see it.

posted by :mlm on skyscrapercity.com
lighthouse2.jpg

That's great! There you have it: a short structure that stands out, is beautiful and integrates with the waterfront environment around it.

Jack Diamond is clearly not up to the task. I guess it's too late to ask somebody else to do it.

Looking at Arstiderne's work above, reminds me of how relevant it is to our waterfront. Norway, if I'm not mistaken is quite cold in the winter, yet this vision uses the water well. It looks as if those bridges are high up enough that people can skate on those canals in the winter.

Now imagine a Corus building split in half by a new canal with bridges criss crossing over it as per the original concept. The original lobby would be removed and a new narrow but long lobby could be built in front of each of those wings, connected by a bridge.
In the summer you'd have a relaxing watery canal to sit by and in the winter, it would become an ice rink. Diamond could spruce up the cladding by using his signature wood, this time on the exterior and voila... you have an interactive, waterfront friendly and beautiful building.

Fabulous pic, and it shows perfectly the kind of architecture that the Waterfront demands....something iconic (I know, hate the word), city defining, and one-of-a-kind in the world....if our local architects don't 'get it', which they obviously don't, fire them, and bring in an international team who does.....

my 2cents

I'm not familiar with the whole process with the Corus project, but having read about the San Francisco Transbay and NYC Hudson Yards competitions, I think the model of having developers team up with major architecture firms to propose development solutions for the site is probably the best way to go to finding the best-looking development for the site (including space for Corus).

Hudson Yards Development

San Francisco Transbay

I always get a kick out of the lovely designs and renderings, like the Norweigen one above, that of course don't exist in reality.

Other than the Corus building, no other investment exists on Toronto's waterfront (except maybe the Portlands film studio). So let's be happy that a company is willing to be the first to move down there.

That's quite the big pool, but no one is swimming in it.

Maybe it's because there's no lifeguard.

Naughty, naughty.

I always get a kick out of the lovely designs and renderings, like the Norweigen one above, that of course don't exist in reality.

So the solution is to have really crappy designs from the get-go. Hmm, maybe if our architects started out with renderings that didn't look like they were traced from the bottom of a crayon box our actual buildings might look like something. Just an idea.

To be honest, if that rendering was ever turned into an actual project, the result would be a rather sterile location.

Who knows, if history repeats itself, the rejected Diamond Corus design might be resurrected up Yonge/St. Clair way...

Back