News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 627     0 

Condo board - what's involved

Coltaine79

Member Bio
Reaction score
So, my condo in their most recent mailing, indicated that there were some vacancies on the board and that they wanted owners to consider joining. The two vacant positions are, apparently, President and Director. What exactly is involved with taking on such work? Are there any benefits to myself for doing it, or is it considered a thankless job?

So, my condo in their most recent mailing, indicated that there were some vacancies on the board and that they wanted owners to consider joining. The two vacant positions are, apparently, President and Director. What exactly is involved with taking on such work? Are there any benefits to myself for doing it, or is it considered a thankless job?

I sat on a condo board for two terms, it's very interesting and challenging, you'll learn a lot (more than you ever imagined) but it's a lot of work in a new or newer building. I felt very proud of what we accomplished in a brand new building but indeed it can be a thankless job at times when nasty letters slip under your door or when some nut-job (every building has a couple of them) starts screaming at you in the elevator because he doesn't like the new landscaping, why isn't the hot tub open 24 hours anymore, they got a letter in their mailbox from the Property Manager about storing items on the balcony etc etc. The flip side is those who attend the AGM's, read newsletters and follow what is going on in their building are generally very thankful for what is accomplished providing your successful at what you do and they can be very friendly. I wouldn't do it again but I'm thankful for all that I learned and for the experience.

I can recommend it. As long as you work to remove friction by increasing understanding and transparency there's shouldn't be any negative moments. Some boards try to hide and never stand up for or explain their decisions - that's when you get frustrated neighbors.

Interesting topic. What would you say the time commitment is?

It depends: on the skills and abilities of the property manager, the age of the building and the condition it's in, the state of the building and repairs needed, the commitment, knowledge and interests (and lack of conflict of interest) of other board members, and how demanding/exacting owners are. Some owners, especially if they're absent landlords, don't much care. Some are very very very picky about every little thing.

I've been on our board for three years now and it's been good, bad and ugly. It can be very demanding and stressful but also very rewarding.

Back