News   Apr 22, 2024
 820     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 283     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 694     0 

CNE Air Show

I agree. Having a plane show is alright. Just don't play around to prove their piloting skills like (I can fly close to the building and do a 90 degree turn to fly up. I'm so good). Going straight at a building and making a quick turn upwards is dangerous. If there's a malfunction, the building would get hit and cause a lot of damages and possible deaths if people are at home.

They aren't in tight formation or doing loops and flying towards each other over the city, only over the water. They do regroup over the city and use the city airspace to quickly re-orient themselves for another center stage approach though.

I used to love watching the show from my loft at Queen and Dufferin. Those things are LOUD and, as someone mentioned earlier, it can be cringe-inducing when they get close.

There are some pictures here...

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2009/09/05/10763371-cp.html (click on "CNE air show flies again")

...with the added bonus of some aerials of some of the buildings we all love to talk about here.

The problem is there aiming right at the towers at time and have to pull up in order to clear them. Hate to see if one of those ever have a malfunction...

beforecrash.jpg

What a bunch of wussy whiners some people are.

It's too loud. It's too scary. They''re too low. My dog is frightened.

Unbelieveable.

There is an engaging, dynamic event happening over our city. Try to enjoy it.

I think they're doing it for almost a week? I think they started on Wednesday or Thursday. And they're flying until labour day. So Monday should be the last day.

As for dynamic and engaging. Sure. Just stay away from apartment buildings.

Stunt flying over the city or near the city one day a year ...
One day a year? I'm pretty sure I heard them Thursday ... there were fighter jets buzzing downtown on Friday. I could see them from my house near Danforth on Saturday ... and it sounds like they are at it again. I'm not sure the description of "one day" is accurate.

What a bunch of wussy whiners some people are.
Well that's how Toronto works isn't it ... I'm not sure you've heard, but there's a bunch of freaks out there complaining about ... and you'll find this hard to believe ... the island airport! And there's another group of wierdos out there complaining that the Gardiner is blocking access to the lake (ignoring that endless uncrossable embankment next to it full of railway tracks). On St. Clair there was one bunch complaining that they were going to block traffic lanes with streetcar tracks, and another group complaining that they weren't doing it fast enough. We've got a bunch complaining that GO isn't providing enough service, and another trying hard to stop GO expanding service. And a group petitioning the city not to build the LRT on Sheppard.

I've got no problem with the airshow. I am concerned that not enough precautions are being made to keep potentially dangerous vehicles away from densely populated areas, and am concerned that one day there will be a crash that will kill people on the ground.

"Please won't somebody think of the children!!!! Wait what do you mean they enjoy it? Well I know better."

Seriously is this what Toronto is becoming? I was at the airport yesterday and there were about a dozen cars and over 20 people at the FedEx location plane spotting. This is clearly a draw to the city

I mean seriously let's cancel Nuit Blance because of all those people blocking roads and sidewalks (To the point of people requesting roads be closed to traffic during the event this year.). All the people milling about the city is disruptive to the residents downtown who are simply trying to sleep. What is someone mistook one of the displays as the real thing? Alien invasion and Zombie attack I'm looking at you...

Can we create an official thread of people whining about the noise from the airshow jets. Then can we deport all the people who complain in that thread to Nunavut or something.

Seriously they are a bit loud, but the show is totally worth it. Not to mention it's cool seeing jets randomly flying around the city. Everyone seemed to be enjoying it.

Can we create an official thread of people whining about the noise from the airshow jets.
Is anyone hear really whining about the noise? I'm merely expressing concern that the physical location of some of the jets doing tight turns suggests that they haven't made all the precautions to protect human lives, that they might have done ... that and making fun of the anti-Island airport Nimbys.

When you look at a plane you always think its going to hit something.

I remember my friend during an airshow 6 years ago seeing the same plane "just missing the top of the Mint Towers"

I was at another place and saw from another angle and the plane was cleary as high as the top of the CN tower.

I don't think some people understand the concept of visual perception, when it comes to the planes flying "dangerously close to the city". The jet that looped around commerce court within "several hundred feet" was probably well over a half kilometer behind it. The jets travel out over my house on their turnarounds (east of Parliament), but yes, it does look like they are just behind the CBD buildings. Yes, there have been air show accidents in the history of mankind, but these are some of the best pilots in the world (Blue Angels specifically) and the risk of an accident over the city grounds is absolutely minimal.

Why the hell do some people live in cities? I can't comprehend it. I've said it in several threads, move to Niagara-on-the-Lake. Oh but wait, you'll get all upset about the hoards of people that arrive for the Shaw Festival and make a big commotion. Nunavut was a good suggestion.

Back