Toronto CityPlace: Canoe Landing Community Centre & Schools | 15.85m | 3s | City of Toronto | ZAS Architects

I own a East facing 1 bed. unit in N1 (15 Fort York). Should I be selling it quickly, as the value of the neighborhood will decrease significantly once this development is complete? My long term plan was to rent this unit out, but not sure if it is worth holding onto? Any thoughts?

Yes. I think you should move to Atlanta. No gummint housin' er socialized med'cin' down thar to steal all yer taxes. Yippee!

I own a East facing 1 bed. unit in N1 (15 Fort York). Should I be selling it quickly, as the value of the neighborhood will decrease significantly once this development is complete? My long term plan was to rent this unit out, but not sure if it is worth holding onto? Any thoughts?

since you like in a EAST facing unit in N1 ... any new building in Block 31 would not even be visible from your suite ... I wouldn't worry too much about TCHC's building negatively affecting your property value, afterall you are in Downtown Toronto were a mixed bag of tenure types are expected within an area

I don't think there's too much to worry about for property depreciation? I was at One Cole and they were priced to the market. Starting prices were around $393 psf and goes up as you go higher. So I think by the time these get built, the should be at least around $450+ psf.

oooh i like it, that could end up really nice...slim tower, nice staggered balconies, is that trees midway up in one diagram? If nice materials are used, that should be a nice addition to cityplace. Those in the urban park will have a nice background behind them...:)

From the west elevation, for some reason it seems the balconies will project out really far and have a bit of a Bauhaus feel. But that's a very initial "inkling" I have.

It looks quite fascinating! And like the rest of CityPlace, incredibly modernist, so I am happy so far.

The trees 3/4 the way up the tower are an awesome awesome touch!

Last edited:
How much leverage will NIMBYs have in shortening this tower at this stage in the development process? Does it being a city-owned development make it more likely that the project will get approved as is?

How much leverage will NIMBYs have in shortening this tower at this stage in the development process? Does it being a city-owned development make it more likely that the project will get approved as is?

Can a person that just bought into a condo building that just blocked another condo building and has another condo building proposed to block his condo building, be classified as a NIMBY.:D:D:D I dont think anything is going to get shortened in this specific location.

Can a person that just bought into a condo building that just blocked another condo building and has another condo building proposed to block his condo building, be classified as a NIMBY.:D:D:D I dont think anything is going to get shortened in this specific location.

how about a shadowing issue? :p

Unpopular view

The quality of recent TCHC buildings (Teeple's 60 Richmond, aA's, D+S and Kearns Mancini's contributions to Regents Park, etc.) however, far surpasses what has been constructed in CP, so perhaps your worries should be reversed? TCHC has engaged Toronto's design community and for the most part, they've responded. The fact that aA and MJMA have been brought in to design this latest structure is not only good news, it's good urbanism and it will be good for CP as a whole. The firm I work for is doing the structural work on the Block and from what I've seen, it should blow pretty much all existing Cp buildings out of the water.

As an aside, perhaps you could elaborate on how the creation of two schools, plus an extension of the decidedly underwhelming park would hurt real-estate values in this budding community?

Maybe because it's public housing? Sorry, just had to state the obvious concern which I realize isn't very PC, but a reality nonetheless. Not sure why everyone is tip-towing around the issue. Sure, there are issues of views, traffic, etc., but this is the main one, in my opinion. As a previous CP resident, I'm still a member of the Facebook groups, and this is what people are saying/discussing.

People paid top dollar for their units in these buildings (shitty quality aside) and simply don't want to live beside "those type of people" who occupy community housing buildings. Call it what you want - snobbery, NIMBYism, etc - but it exists, and I can't see it not being an issue for some potential buyers in the future.

Robbie, I understand that some people may have qualms about this development. However, given that this has been in the works for many years, on publicly-available sites, anybody in CityPlace west of Spadina has only themselves to blame if they unaware of it before they purchased. If you can't do a bit of research, then suck it up and move on.

Besides, just down a few blocks is Quay West, which borders no small amount of social housing, and that fact doesn't seem to have impaired the sales there.

I'm not being PC, but I am hostile to these kinds of "concerns" as normally expressed, since I see them as arising largely from prejudice and ignorance. It reminds me of people in a huge tower complaining about their views being blocked by a huge tower, which I've always found hilarious.

Maybe because it's public housing? Sorry, just had to state the obvious concern which I realize isn't very PC, but a reality nonetheless. Not sure why everyone is tip-towing around the issue. Sure, there are issues of views, traffic, etc., but this is the main one, in my opinion. As a previous CP resident, I'm still a member of the Facebook groups, and this is what people are saying/discussing.

People paid top dollar for their units in these buildings (shitty quality aside) and simply don't want to live beside "those type of people" who occupy community housing buildings. Call it what you want - snobbery, NIMBYism, etc - but it exists, and I can't see it not being an issue for some potential buyers in the future.

Hey, Toronto deals with this all the time. People in Rosedale live just over the bridge from people in St. Jamestown, people in Cabbagetown live right beside people in Regent Park, as well as London on the Esplanade across from TCHC buildings, then Market Wharf, right across from a co-op, as well as that new Distillery condo across from TCHC co-ops and many, many others. There is also a new TCHC building going up right beside Radio City. (across the street from the $600,000+ townhouses) It happens all over Toronto and it doesn't seem to make all that much difference, so why should CP be any different? Hell, even Yorkville has large TCHC buildings. (Asquith Park) It's all over Toronto.

Last edited:

Back