Toronto CityPlace: Canoe Landing Community Centre & Schools | 15.85m | 3s | City of Toronto | ZAS Architects

Block 31 is only affordable housing, no market rate units

I thought they stopped doing that now, with their new developments. From what I understand, all new TCHC will stick to 1/3 rent geared to income, since it works so well in their other buildings. So now they're going back to all subsidised units? That's certainly proved to be a bad idea in the past. Wasn't that one of the main benefits of the new Regent Park, removing the stigma, by mixing poor and middle class tenants in the same buildings? That makes no sense at all.

I don't believe they are mixing the different tenures in the same buildings, just in the same blocks. In Regent Park they are building condos (One Cole), rentals (Dundas/Sackville) and affordable housing buildings beside each other, but each building is a separate type of tenure.

For Block 31, the application stated they will all be affordable housing units, but did not specify whether they are all RGI or if there may be some market rate rentals mixed in.

I don't believe they are mixing the different tenures in the same buildings, just in the same blocks. In Regent Park they are building condos (One Cole), rentals (Dundas/Sackville) and affordable housing buildings beside each other, but each building is a separate type of tenure.

For Block 31, the application stated they will all be affordable housing units, but did not specify whether they are all RGI or if there may be some market rate rentals mixed in.

I'm sure it's a mix of 1/3 rgti and the rest market rents, like all their newer buildings. That's what they are doing in Regent Park. (from what I was told at doors open) I hope so, anyway. You would think they had learned a few lessons from the past.

This is an open ended question but how long does it usually take for changes such as one being requested for height of the block 31 building to reach a decision? Half year, year, years, etc?

Not sure because this is a TCHC project. Normally a developer applies to the Council of Adjustments (COA) for height increases on his/her project, but because this is a Toronto-driven project, it could already be confirmed.

Why do you ask? Your question seems to indicate that you wish to do something about the height of this proposed tower. Concerned West One/N1 resident possibly?

If it was a minor variance for a height increase, with planning staff support, the Committee of Adjustment can approve it the same day that it is scheduled for the Committee. After that there is an appeal period of 15 days where anyone can appeal the decision to the OMB. It might take some time for the application to get scheduled for a Committee date depending on the number of applications submitted.

For Block 31, since it's a rezoning application, the minimum amount of time before approavl would be 6 months, but the chances of that happening are pretty much zero. These types of applications would be at least a year before it goes to Council, and that is if staff and the councillor are in support, not to mention resident associations and other stakeholders. My guess for Block 31 would be 14-16 months since the application was filed, and all the required reports are submitted, before it goes to Council. And that does not include time if it is appealed.

* All these timelines do not take into account the strike.

This sucks. I bought a suite in the smaller Luna tower and of course was told by the Cityplace sales that NO tower was going to built in Block 31. Only a community centre. I guess there goes my lake view. Instead I get to look at a building of homeless people get to enjoy my view I paid for.

Sour grapes, no doubt. I will be selling my suite sooner than I thought. :mad:

I don't think you would have gotten much of a lake view from the smaller tower anyways. The condos directly south between the Gardiner and Queens Quay are all about the same height as the smaller Luna tower. Even between the buildings you would mainly see the airport, the islands and maybe a little bit of the harbour.

However, I'm sure you'll probably move in soon enough and well before Block 31 is built, so feel free to take a picture and post your lake view and prove me wrong.

I don't think you would have gotten much of a lake view from the smaller tower anyways. The condos directly south between the Gardiner and Queens Quay are all about the same height as the smaller Luna tower. Even between the buildings you would mainly see the airport, the islands and maybe a little bit of the harbour.

However, I'm sure you'll probably move in soon enough and well before Block 31 is built, so feel free to take a picture and post your lake view and prove me wrong.

I'll take a pic of my view "whenever" Luna is ready. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the answers.

I'm actually more curious about when the schools and community center will be built - assuming everything will have to be finalized before they are built?

He'll probably be able to see the lake I think if he's on the upper floors. Luna is 38s + 18s. I think the buildings in front are around 9-10s. Also the area is higher up. even with the 9s school and community centre, at 18th floor he should be able to see past. However the 43s building in front of the school will block Luna's south view.

If it was a minor variance for a height increase, with planning staff support, the Committee of Adjustment can approve it the same day that it is scheduled for the Committee. After that there is an appeal period of 15 days where anyone can appeal the decision to the OMB. It might take some time for the application to get scheduled for a Committee date depending on the number of applications submitted.

For Block 31, since it's a rezoning application, the minimum amount of time before approavl would be 6 months, but the chances of that happening are pretty much zero. These types of applications would be at least a year before it goes to Council, and that is if staff and the councillor are in support, not to mention resident associations and other stakeholders. My guess for Block 31 would be 14-16 months since the application was filed, and all the required reports are submitted, before it goes to Council. And that does not include time if it is appealed.

* All these timelines do not take into account the strike.

* Timelines could also be extended if appeals are taken to the OMB... the system has become a means to itself rather than a means to an end...

wondering what people think about N1 west facing units? I don't see it blocking that much of it. The building seems to look fairly nice anyway, so you change one view for another.

btw, i have a west facing unit in N1 on a lower floor. I knew something was going to be built there but the layout was good and i figured i have about 2-3 years before something goes up. and whatever goes up, it looks like it will be a decent distance away so i'll still have a decent view.

Applications submitted to the City ~
http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentApplications/associatedApplicationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=2457556

419 BREMNER BLVD
OPA / Rezoning

Rezoning appplication to permit the vacant parcel of lands located on Block 31 of the Railway lands- being part 1 on Plan 66R 16838 to be rezoned for the purposes of a mixed use building containing 322 affordable housing units, 2 schools (TDSB and TDCSB), a community centre and daycare centre.

Application Number 09 142634 STE 20 OZ
Date Received May 28, 2009

Planner Name Phipps, Sarah
Phone# (416) 392-7622

Proposed Non-Residential GFA (sq m) 16675
Proposed Residential GFA (sq m) 35115
Lot Size (sq m) 12229
Proposed Residential Units 322
Proposed Storeys 43

Back