News   Apr 24, 2024
 987     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 630     0 

City Workers Strike 2009

Ah, I haven't lived through a Toronto garbage strike before.

You mean, we don't just take our garbage bags, and drop them off on our councillors front lawn?

To be honest though, it will take a while to accumulate more garbage than would be a problem. The green bin can normally last about 2 weeks, and I've an extra one hidden somewhere. The garbage can is good for 3-4 weeks, and the old one is under the deck. And the blue-bin ... well that might be a problem. But if I start a huge stack of newspapers in the basement ... , the would work for a while ... or I just start leaving them all on the subway ...

There was a strike about 10 years ago I think? It's not the households so much that have the big issue. It's the restaurants, malls and other public places with piled up garbage. When garbage piles up, rats, flies and other things show up creating a stinky city. Imagine, no one picking up garbage in china town for a month. Or any of the malls, public garbage bins, restaurants all over the city, etc.

Well, small businesses will have big problems with garbage. Big businesses such as major supermarkets and movie theatres will have no problems with garbage since they use private contractors.

Last edited:
I'm curious (um, scared?) as to what Yonge Street and the Church-Wellesley neighbourhood will look like a week from today if there is no deal reached by then.

Yay for Etobicoke and contracting out (and something for the other municipalities to think about next time).

At least Miller looked serious about not giving in on CBC Newsworld this morning. We'll see if it lasts.

Surprise unions is holding the city hostage again for the their demands?.they feel "insulted" if they dont get a raise in a recession.Tell that to those who have to work HARD at two jobs trying to survive or those small business who are barely making a profit while paying more for everyday services.Unions are a death to all large cities,too much money is going into bloated salaries while little money is actually going back into the community.

Just to warn you folks about the stubbornness of CUPE labourers: the similar strike in Windsor just entered Week 10.

Hope you've got access to compost piles; those may be the only dumping grounds open until September.

Well, if there's only one thing we can learn from unions it's that there's strength in solidarity. I would love to see us roll up our sleeves and tackle this garbage problem as private citizens - show those unions that they really are worse than useless and we don't have to pander to their whims.

If you have a pickup truck, volunteer to drive your neighbourhood's garbage to city waste transfer stations. If you've got a composting system, tell your neighbours to bring their messy wet garbage over so that only dry, non-biodegradable garbage will accumulate. If you live in a condo, volunteer to take recyclabes from your home-dwelling friends.

When there's a flood, people don't sit around and complain about the rain on blogs, they march down to the soccer field and start sandbagging. This is no different.

I'm sure the striking workers won't like it, but I'm glad to see the city going around and sealing up the public trash cans. Bring your garbage home with you for the next little while.

DSCN4622.jpg

Back