Pt. 1 - Brussels [1]

Pt. 1 - Brussels [2]

Pt. 2 - Louvain la Neuve, Newtown

Pt. 3 - Ghent

Pt. 4 - Flemish Cities/ Flemish Coast

Where all the cities are located:

belgiekn0.png

So, this is the last part already!
I started with (what I think are) the most impressive cities of Belgium: Brussels, Ghent and Louvain la Neuve. The other side of the coin can be found in the former industrial towns in the country's french-speaking south.
I'll mostly let the pics speak for themselves. You won't be surprised, that this is infact one of the EU's very poorest regions, with a per-capita income equal to that of Poland.

Mons/B]

At the edge of the city's central square: trash on the streets, combined with a heavy stench: not a pleasant public space. We found that a lot of Mons was like this.
IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

Local busses ride through this street.
IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

Getting closer to the central railway station.
IMG_1674.jpg

When construction on this church tower began, it was going to be over 150 meters tall. They dramatically lowered their ambitions at one point (very typical of the Belgian Frenchies!).
IMG_1675.jpg

View of the city from a nearly 'terril'. A terril is a hill that was built from all the un-needed trash from the local mines.
IMG_1682.jpg

Quaregnon, a small mining town near Mons.
The town was built along several main thoroughfares, the area in between consists of messy sprawl.
IMG_1685.jpg

'Messy sprawl': unplanned expansion and rundown housing.
IMG_1686.jpg

Efforts are being made to improve the city though!
This really does not look too bad :)
IMG_1689.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

An old railway station. The tracks have been abandoned, and were turned into a bike trail.
IMG_1693.jpg

A 'factory town', built by an entrepreneur. The town functions as a museum nowadays.
IMG_1694.jpg

The home of the entrepreneur.
IMG_1697.jpg

The homes of the workers.
IMG_1698.jpg

One of the mills.
IMG_1700.jpg

Another factory town. This one had really decent housing for the workers.
IMG_1707.jpg

Not the nicest, most urban pictures to seclude this series...
Still, a strong contrast with what I've posted earlier. I think that what holds true for Belgium, holds true for a lot of countries: there are better-planned towns and unplanned towns, run-down cities and shining capitals.
Hope I could share a bit of our field trip with you this way! :) It was one of the best trips I've made.
I hardly got any sleep that week, we also explored Belgian nightlife... which was great, especally in Brussels and Bruges!

Fantastic photos once again. Though... those "depressed" cities really don't look too bad to me... You should check out some post-industrial American cities!

IMG_1674.jpg

vs.

03055.JPG

P1010009.JPG

Thanks for your replies :)
unimaginative2, compared to your pictures of depressed American post-industrial cities... (can you still call places so dead (1st pic) cities?) those Belgian towns don't look too bad indeed. It's just that they fall way out of the line in the region, as they are situated in the middle of Europe's wealthiest area, with Amsterdam, London, Frankfurt and Paris all being not too far away.

Quaregnon, a small mining town near Mons.
The town was built along several main thoroughfares, the area in between consists of messy sprawl.

IMG_1685.jpg

That's funny, that looks like it could be one of the major avenues (Dundas, College, etc) in our fair metropolis.

sigh.

That's funny, that looks like it could be one of the major avenues (Dundas, College, etc) in our fair metropolis.

sigh.
I'm practically willing to ditch the "sigh" part.

Maybe some 20 yr ago, I might have come home from Europe severely disappointed in Toronto's urban form; now it's more like a uTOpian reverse reflex, i.e. having been so instilled within Jane Jacobs' Adopted Hometown, I'm more prepared to "appreciate" these cruddy backwaters as a means of subverting the Tourist's Postcard View of Europe...

Even though it is ugly by European standards, I find Toronto to be a lot more interesting than many large European cities. As beautiful as Rome is, I think I would get bored after a while. Having said that, it would be nice if Toronto paid more attention to its visual appeal.

I'm practically willing to ditch the "sigh" part.

Maybe some 20 yr ago, I might have come home from Europe severely disappointed in Toronto's urban form; now it's more like a uTOpian reverse reflex, i.e. having been so instilled within Jane Jacobs' Adopted Hometown, I'm more prepared to "appreciate" these cruddy backwaters as a means of subverting the Tourist's Postcard View of Europe...

I went through more or less the same development:
2 years ago I came home from a month in the US and Canada, severely dissapointed in Europe, because at the time North America was heaven to me. Nowadays it's more like a reverse reflex for me too, after two years of studying Urban Planning at Utrecht University (and almost 2 years on this board ;) ), I have started looking at cities from a completely different point of view. So now I am much more prepared to appreciate my own hometown, rather than making too much fruitless efforts to make sure I can get to North America... It's never a bad thing, when you learn to appreciate your own environment, instead of wanting to be somewhere else.

Hear Hear. The cities I'm most fascinated with are known for their haggard, haphazard look. It just seems as if there is more badass curb appeal in a messy, unplanned monster city like Tokyo, Los Angeles, Sao Paulo or Bangkok than in the tidy, well-behaved capitals of European social democracies.

Interestingly, I sometimes find a lot of inner city Toronto to be too much of a small town. If I go out to the Chinese malls of Markham or walk around the tangle of condo construction around North York Centre I somehow feel part of a bigger world.

Back