News   Apr 18, 2024
 691     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.2K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Chief Planner Jennifer Keesmaat to leave City of Toronto

I wonder if a counter-endorsement from Tory will take place in either 2018 (council) or 2022 (mayor).

Keesmaat would be wise to be a councillor for a term before trying for mayor. AFAIK Tory is the first mayor Toronto has ever elected who wasn't a councillor before hand and it still took a couple of tries and some high profile experience at Queen's park.

Really crossing my fingers that she'll enter as a Councillor.

I guess Keesmaat is out as of yesterday- who's the acting Chief Planner atm?

Given Keesmaat’s advocacy for SSE, I hope she’s forced to teach at UTSC.

Keesmaat has a new job.

upload_2018-1-12_12-58-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-12_12-58-43.png
    upload_2018-1-12_12-58-43.png
    256.9 KB · Views: 831
She's very well suited to the job. The City's loss, the Nation's gain.
Will be very interested to see how critical of the mayor she is
I suspect she'll save it for crucial instances. Being in her position, it wouldn't bode well to be a squeaking wheel.

Will be very interested to see how critical of the mayor she is; Lord knows there's a lot to criticize him for from an "urban affairs" perspective.

I also look forward to hearing what the really thinks of the Scarborough subway, which she single-handedly saved using bullshit cost estimates that turned out to be wildly wrong only months later.

I also look forward to hearing what the really thinks of the Scarborough subway, which she single-handedly saved using bullshit cost estimates that turned out to be wildly wrong only months later.
Yeah, she gave every indication of that as I and some others had stated previously. Her pod-casts especially lean towards being an academic. I like Keesmaat, a lot, but she's definitely compromised herself.

Some cringing retrospect:
I find her a fascinating and attractive person, but no matter how hard she tries, she won't be able to live that down, only make an attempt at redemption by offering a 'new perspective outside of my prior employment'.

She now has a forum in which to do that. I just hope she does. If nothing else, it might put @ADRM 's question in context to 'keep Tory honest' for his next election platform.

We'll see...I for one will start listening to the program or her podcasts of same if available.

PS:I'm just re-watching that, and I'm not really in the mood to find reason in her rationale, I'll watch it all later, if for nothing else to see how her tune has changed on Metro Morning, if at all.

Steve Paikin is a national treasure...even if he is just on TVO.

Last edited:
JK also fabricated a bullshit demand forecast. I’m amazed that people here think she’s such a star given her key role in dumping this white elephant on us.

JK also fabricated a bullshit demand forecast. I’m amazed that people here think she’s such a star given her key role in dumping this white elephant on us.
She didn't "dump it on us", she was Chief Planner. It was Council's vote, end of story as to who carries the can. But Keesmaat, if you listen closely, was "following directions" of Council. For that she is responsible. She was complicit in that respect.

But don't overlook this:
How chief planner Jennifer Keesmaat tried to stop the Scarborough subway

As the top bureaucrat announces her departure from city hall, the untold story of how she tried but failed to prevent what’s been called the city’s biggest transit “boondoggle” can be found in her email inbox

In the lead-up to a crucial vote during which city council flip-flopped on transit plans to approve a multibillion-dollar subway in Scarborough, Jennifer Keesmaat went on the warpath.

In July 2013, the progressive chief planner — whose departure after five years at the helm was announced on Monday — was trying to make it known to anyone who would listen that a seven-stop light-rail line the province had already agreed to pay for, and the city had already approved, was still the better option.

Hundreds of pages of emails obtained by the Star through freedom of information requests over the past two years show how Keesmaat became the subway’s strongest critic on staff and tried — but ultimately failed — to prevent what some have called the biggest boondoggle of Toronto transit politics.
[...]
She noted media reports that said TTC CEO Andy Byford was meeting Metrolinx officials to review the costs for proceeding with the subway following De Baeremaeker’s motion.

But Keesmaat was not convinced the subway should be built at all.

“As we have discussed, there are different opinions as to the validity/relevance of these motions,” Keesmaat wrote, referring to the re-opening of the debate.

“I am well aware of the issues,” Pennachetti responded, promising to convene a meeting of staff that day.

The next day, Keesmaat forwarded a proposed outline for the council report to Livey.

“This is the outline we are working with,” she wrote.

Importantly, the outline included an example of what the planning department believed should be recommended: “For the reasons presented, subway is not the preferred technology to meet the future planning and transportation vision for this part of the city.”

Several days later, Pennachetti asked a senior group of staff for further refinements to the draft report.

Keesmaat responded to that request to make a point: “The subway option DOES NOT make the list of (ten) priority projects when compared with other projects across the city.”

It was followed by a warning.

“The quickness of the turn around has meant that we are struggling with a rationale, fair means of assessment,” Keesmaat wrote.

Two days later, Keesmaat sent Byford an email with the subject line “LRT/Subway – URGENT.”

“It is my understanding that your support of a subway for Scarborough is based on the projected increase in ridership,” she began. “I would like a more fulsome understanding of (how) you attained this number.”

“I have not forecast more riders,” Byford responded. “We didn’t reopen this debate so (it’s) up to councillors to say if funds are available.”

The emails reference a ridership number that would soon appear in the final version of the July report.

Though earlier analysis estimated the number of subway rush-hour riders by 2031 would be 9,500. That number had suddenly grown to 14,000.

That number was rarely discussed in any emailed conversations obtained by the Star before that report was tabled.

But the increase came as a surprise to Keesmaat. She was unaware it had apparently come from her own planning department, not the TTC, as the final report would later state.

Keesmaat declined to comment for this story. When asked previously about this exchange, the chief planner admitted the analysis leading up to the July vote was both “rushed” and “problematic”.
[...]
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...aat-tried-to-stop-the-scarborough-subway.html

Last edited:

I don't know where you guys get the idea that Keesmaat was the driving force behind the Scarborough subway when, as the Star story that Steve posted shows, the reality is the complete opposite. She was chief planner when it was approved but she was clearly against it. It was a purely political decision.

She didn't "dump it on us", she was Chief Planner. It was Council's vote, end of story as to who carries the can. But Keesmaat, if you listen closely, was "following directions" of Council. For that she is responsible. She was complicit in that respect.

But don't overlook this:

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...aat-tried-to-stop-the-scarborough-subway.html
Using words like "complicit" and even "responsible" is unfair. The role of staff is to advise Council but Council makes the decisions. When Council asks staff to carry something out, it's staff's responsibility to do that, even if they advised against it. For Jennifer Keesmaat to refuse to follow orders or direct her staff to not follow orders, she could very justifiably have been fired and disciplined by the OPPI. To call her complicit is to imply that she was involved in some sort of wrongdoing, which isn't the case at all.

Back