Toronto Cherry Place | 55.7m | 13s | Rekai | Montgomery Sisam

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
An announcement from earlier this week is nicely going to fill in a gap in the urban fabric on a property currently addressed as 55 Eastern Avenue. The name of the project is Cherry Place, for the street with the longest frontage on the property, so I assume that the address will be changed when the building is finished. The Rekai Centre on Sherbourne (a 126 bed long term care home) will be moving to a new building here with 200 beds (state of the art vs. decades old), which they will share with a new Options for Living condo, which will take the upper storeys.

Here's what the property looks like from Eastern facing south via Google Street View. (It's a long, thin property, but this somewhat distorted image makes it look even thinner.)

55Eastern.jpg

Anyway, it'll back on the recently constructed (and architecturally awful) Honda and Acura Downtown dealerships that face Eastern and Front respectively. I'll be really glad to have a building across Cherry from the new Cooper Koo YMCA: it'll repair the tear in urban fabric as you approach the Canary District from Eastern Avenue and help make that area feel more a part of the whole city (even while there are more parking lots in the vicinity to be redeveloped as well).

Anyway, with the specialized care suites and the affordable condos, I'd say it's good news all around.

Speaking of good news, there's more info on our front page.

Attachments

• 55Eastern.jpg
    55Eastern.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 4,266
An announcement from earlier this week is nicely going to fill in a gap in the urban fabric on a property currently addressed as 55 Eastern Avenue. The name of the project is Cherry Place, for the street with the longest frontage on the property, so I assume that the address will be changed when the building is finished. The Rekai Centre on Sherbourne (a 126 bed long term care home) will be moving to a new building here with 200 beds (state of the art vs. decades old), which they will share with a new Options for Living condo, which will take the upper storeys.

Here's what the property looks like from Eastern facing south via Google Street View. (It's a long, thin property, but this somewhat distorted image makes it look even thinner.)

View attachment 111999

Anyway, it'll back on the recently constructed (and architecturally awful) Honda and Acura Downtown dealerships that face Eastern and Front respectively. I'll be really glad to have a building across Cherry from the new Cooper Koo YMCA: it'll repair the tear in urban fabric as you approach the Canary District from Eastern Avenue and help make that area feel more a part of the whole city (even while there are more parking lots in the vicinity to be redeveloped as well).

Anyway, with the specialized care suites and the affordable condos, I'd say it's good news all around.

Speaking of good news, there's more info coming on our front page.

I am surprised Rekai has to move so soon - one of their buildings by Dunlop Farrow on the old Wellesley site is probably only slightly over a decade old. I guess it must be the other one at Allan Gardens.

AoD

Sorry, I should have been more specific: it's not that one (Wellesley Central Place) which is moving, it's the older one farther south—Sherbourne Place—across from Allan Gardens which is picking up sticks.

The massing models always showed two buildings here and I have my fingers crossed it stays that way. Options for Homes and a long slab highrise building that covers the entire expanse is really worrisome. You think the car dealership looks bad?

The massing models always showed two buildings here and I have my fingers crossed it stays that way. Options for Homes and a long slab highrise building that covers the entire expanse is really worrisome. You think the car dealership looks bad?

Something along the lines of George Street revitalization with a long but broken down slab for the assisted living portion might not be bad - though the street level will have to be treated with more care. Red brick please.

AoD

BTW, here's the gov't's press release on this:

New West Don Lands Facility to Provide High-Quality Living Spaces for Residents
Ontario is helping to build a new long-term care home in downtown Toronto that will provide a comfortable and supportive space for residents, including a dedicated unit for people living with dementia.

The new home, which will be located in the West Don Lands, will replace Rekai's existing facility at 345 Sherbourne Street, Toronto and will provide residents with a modern, comfortable environment that supports a higher quality of life for residents. This includes rooms with more privacy and greater capacity to accommodate residents with increasingly complex needs. It will also include more space for programs like rehabilitation and physiotherapy, and more accessible living and dining areas.

Long-term care homes are places where adults can live and receive help with most or all daily activities along with 24-hour nursing and personal care.

Ontario is increasing access to care, reducing wait times and improving the patient experience through its Patients First Action Plan for Health Care and OHIP+: Children and Youth Pharmacare - protecting health care today and into the future.

QUICK FACTS
  • There are about 78,000 residents in 630 long-term care homes in Ontario.
  • Ontario has doubled its funding for long-term care from $2.10 billion in 2003 to more than $4.14 billion in 2017.
  • Since 2003, more than 10,000 new LTC beds have been developed and more than 13,500 older LTC beds have been redeveloped, through various redevelopment programs.
  • Ontario is working to make it easier to create community hubs, and make the best possible use of public properties that are no longer needed for their original purpose.
  • Community hubs are a service delivery model that brings together partners to offer a range of services that respond to demonstrated community needs and priorities.

Yep, they have built cooperatives in the past where you own shares in the building but, it looks like they have shifted to helping out people financially for an equity position in their homes. Now, what happens when the market implode or year over year values decrease over a longer term? Seems a rather precarious funding formula. I guess options for homes just stops building.

They are scheduled to. Someone from the architectural firm is always at the DRP meetings…

PS: This is a pretty early in the DRP process for this building, and is only an "Issues Identification" exercise for the site at this point, not likely to have something representative of the final concept yet.

Thanks, I was wondering what the status of this one was. Will the architects be presenting to the DRP?

Yes, according to the agenda one of the principals of the firm will be presenting. And as an example - founder of MVVA will be there for the Lower Don Lands presentation at the same meeting.

AoD

Last edited:
One member of the DRP (David Sisam) will have to excuse himself from the process as it's his firm designing the building

Back