News   Apr 19, 2024
 351     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 564     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 941     3 

CBC Headquarters Telco Hotel Conversion (Allied REIT)

Interesting, i wonder if Allied will make a bid?

CBC to sell all of its buildings and properties across Canada
The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), Canada’s financially troubled public broadcaster, has plans to sell all of its properties and buildings across the entire country.

According to the Canadian Media Guild (CMG), the plan was announced today during a staff town hall in response to continued federal government funding cuts that have stripped the CBC of its ability to carry out its mandate of creating quality and original domestic programming.

Every single property will be sold – no stone will be left unturned. This includes the Toronto headquarters, Montreal studio, and the recently renovated and expanded Vancouver studio.
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/09/cbc-to-sell-all-of-its-buildings-and-property-across-canada/

Sigh, another Stephen Harper legacy project.

The Front Street location is a gem that should not be touched for redevelopment. The interior on the other hand could use a nice renovation (not as if Harper himself would ever be interested in that).

I've always disliked the CBC building, but if replaced, I hope nothing too tall will be built here, given the proximity to the CN Tower.

Yea its a huge block killer, I do like the building taken as a standalone object ... but they're selling it, not abandoning it ... its kinda silly to think given most big banks took a similar approach that its not a good move, the comment about owing rent forever is true but there are many advantages on top of the one time equity boost.

Nothing tall should be built directly in front of the Tower. It should have preserved viewing corridors forever.
Seems strangely draconian and doctrinaire to me. Besides, nothing is likely to challenge its height supremacy for some time yet.

Last edited:
One of the largest commercial buildings in the city. No one is tearing it down.

CN Tower is by far the most identiable landmark. Seems shortsighted not to give it's greatest attribute special considerations.

No, I don't think anything as tall as the Oxford proposal should be built in that location. The CN Tower is the most distinguishable structure in the city and it ought to be shown a certain level of respect. Would it be acceptable to build a massive building so close to the Eiffel Tower (if zoning permitted it)? The CN Tower is the most iconic structure in the nation. Why would we want to hem it in? Rather, why not leave some breathing space and corridors for people to appreciate its audacious enormity and graceful presence in perpetuity? What good will it do to obscure it from most vantage points? New York City doesn't allow anything too tall to be built near the Empire State Building. The whole protected viewing corridor conversation is not a matter of trying to limit developers from exercising their desires to build tall, but rather a matter of recognizing how imperative the CN Tower is, cuturally, and architecturally. It is the anchor of our skyline and it is important that it stands alone and shows its might for all to see. There are still some angles that show relatively unobstructed views of the tower, and for great distances. Those should be protected as much as possible, otherwise the Tower will only be really visible from ground up right it its immediate vicinity.

Last edited:

Back