News   Apr 19, 2024
 203     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 866     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.2K     2 

Cathedraltown...suburbia with a twist

I think the fellow who developed this building forgot the difference between a Cathedral and simply a really big church. A Cathedral, per usual Christian thinking serves as a bishop's seat, and thus as the central church of a diocese. But, as wiki says..."As cathedrals are often particularly impressive edifices, the term is often used incorrectly as a designation for any large important church."

So, to use my new Maritime slang, if it ain't got no bishop, it ain't no cathedral. Honestly, I'm going to have to go for language retraining when I move back to Toronto next month.

Apparently, the Most Reverend John Pažak, C.Ss.R., Second Bishop of the Eparchy of Ss. Cyril and Methodius, Canada, is the bishop.

Oh, and the cathedral's sanctuary mosaic also contains 5 million pieces and the largest bell, named "Etienne," is tuned to D and weighs 32,000 lbs.

There are lots of New Urbanism projects in Canada. As well as those mentioned, Mississauga has some, Orangeville does, Kitchener does, even Calgary has a few. They are not all successful, necessarily, in reducing car usage internally to any great degree, nor are they all necessarily close to employment areas.

I asked this in another thread. I think it is more appropriate to ask in this thread.

Anyone Cathedraltown home owner or tenant in this forum?

I like the area. Just feel a bit empty for now. I hope the real dwellers will come soon after the flippers are gone.

Link to article

No Mass in Cathedral town
A property dispute in Markham has shut a landmark church blessed by john Paul II

Craig Offman
National Post

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

In the 1980s, Josephine and her mother used to drive past the Church of the Transfiguration, a Byzantine colossus with four gold-leafed cupolas that vaulted out of the drab farmland northeast of Toronto. They should move there one day, her mom said, and on Sundays they could worship in the cathedral.

Josephine's mother eventually died, but in 2004 came a minor miracle -- or secularly speaking, a suburban inevitability.

The owner of the property in Markham, Helen Roman-Barber, announced a plan to convert her family's vast cattle ranch into an ambitious and unlikely development called Cathedraltown. Billed as a "new world vision with old world values," this development of 1,200 homes would be a standout in the sprawl, a swath of Jane Jacobs village-in-the-city idealism.

It would boast a lake. A high street with shops. And at the heart of it, the majestic, 65-metre-tall place of worship: the only one in North America to be blessed by a pope. It would look more like a university town than a typical Toronto suburb.

A devout Catholic who likes to reminisce about her undergraduate days in Paris, the Taiwan-raised Josephine, who declined to give her last name, bought a corner lot and moved in last year. As with all the houses in the neighbourhood, there is a little plaque with the silhouette of a cathedral next to her doorbell.

But Josephine must pray at a Catholic-Chinese congregation a few kilometres down the road. As it turns out, the landmark church doesn't hold a regular Mass. And since the bishop left a year ago after a squabble over property rights with the landowners, it's not really an official cathedral, either. The Vatican cannot officially recognize the place of worship because the diocese is no longer there.

Security guards now troll the property, which is fenced-in, weeded-up and looks more like a First World War minefield than sacred ground. The nearby man-made lake is unadorned.

That old world charm hasn't landed on these shores just yet.

"One of the reasons we moved here was because we were looking for a sense of community, a sense of belonging. But it's not there," said Rod Cuevas, a resident who is also a real estate agent in the area. "These are people who just aren't happy." He said he'd leave, but the relocation cost is too great; a client of his said he just sold his house for the very reasons his agent mentioned -- and equally important, he couldn't gain access to the cathedral.

The Church of the Transfiguration is the brainchild of mining magnate Stephen Roman, who built it in honour of the Soviet-era Slovaks who faced religious oppression. Consecrated by Pope John Paul II in the early stages of building, the church was designed by Donald Buttress, a renowned architect whose claim to fame is overhauling Westminster Abbey. Construction of the cathedral began in 1984, but, four years later, Mr. Roman died suddenly.

For the past few years, the cathedral has been the subject of dispute between Mr. Roman's daughter, Helen, and Bishop John Pazak, the leader of the Eparchy of Sts. Cyril and Methodius Canada. The sides still cannot agree over title of the church land and the 20 hectares surrounding it. The property belongs to the Roman Family Foundation, but the bishop, whose diocese reports to the Vatican, wanted the land to be titled to the Church.

Bishop Pazak did not wish to comment on the deadlock.

A year ago, the Bishop announced his final Mass; the locks were changed.

While residents like Josephine and Mr. Cuevas are getting restless, the subdivision isn't having problems selling properties. Hoping eventually to attract 15,000 residents, Cathedraltown has sold all of its Phase I properties and sources say that the second phase, which has just begun construction, is about 70% sold.

The real estate company, Fram Building Group, did not return a call for comment.

The majority of homeowners are Chinese, many of them people who make over a million dollars a year, said Trieu Huynh, an agent in the area. "There are lots of rich people here."

Several agents mentioned, however, that the house prices have dropped somewhere between 10% and 15% as a result of what some perceive as the project's slow completion. "They promised they'd enlarge the lake, but nothing has been done."

At the gated Woodbine Avenue entrance, a sign that reads "AST Security" now eclipses a hand-drawn portrait of the Pope consecrating the chapel. Its team now guards the area full-time.

"There are about five or so attempts to get in every week," said company vice-president Simon Path. "They ask why they can't get in, or why is it not functioning, or is there something supernatural going on."

One time a fleet of minivans parked near the church, and 20 or so occupants made a go at it, only to be removed by the five-person squad.

Martin Mahoney, the project's architectural design and marketing co-ordinator, is baffled by the perception that residents feel that entry to the cathedral is verboten.

"That's odd. There has never been no access to the cathedral," he said. "It's like any other church or cathedral. When there isn't an event going on, no one is allowed in."

Mr. Mahoney added that if someone wants to visit the church, they can call in advance. (Mr. Path confirmed that his teams have on occasion ushered guests in on this basis.) He also said that when he is there, he'll show people around. Baptisms have been performed there. Priests have been brought in for private Masses, he said.

He also stressed that the church is in constant state of evolution: intricate mosaics to apply, exterior maintenance to perform. Scaffolding is everywhere, so liability becomes an issue.

While creating a big, bold world-class cathedral, it can't always be open for prayer. "Not to say that these people are uneducated, but few understand how cathedrals work," he said. "We cannot commence this kind of work and have people in for worship. It's ludicrous."

In the meantime, Josephine still holds out hope that one day she might attend Mass in Cathedraltown.

"Yesterday the bell was ringing for hours," she said last week, referring to the peals, which the subdivision bills as the world's largest. "All the neighbours ran out into the streets wondering what happened. We'd be so happy if the fences would open."

The 'town manors' or whatever they were advertising did seem a tad expensive. You could get away with it in some areas, but I guess they couldn't get away with those price points up there, even as the nearby Cachet estates attempt to inflate the area's cachet.

Can anyone snap some shots of Cathedraltown? I'm extremely curious about what it looks like!

Agreed. I'd like to see some pics of this Cathedral and the new urbanism taking place there. I remember reading about it in the paper many years ago. Will be interesting to see what ends up happening with the Cathedral. I wonder how big it is?

Here's the cathedral:
slovac_1.jpg

And here's a bit of the houses, stolen from their website's intro page:
splash_modified_04.jpg

And here's the neighbourhood plan, with houses to the north and the 'European square' stuff to the south around the cathedral:
Cathedraltown_Plan.jpg

Maybe it's just childhood nostalgia, but I don't want to see the cathedral surrounded, either, especially since there's a 100% chance the buildings will be complete rubbish and the retail will be nothing more than a Subway, a dry cleaners, a nail salon, and a dozen empty storefronts. I'm also saddened that the comical overabundance of forlorn lampposts will be diminished by said buildings.

Back