Toronto Canary Block Condos | 42.06m | 12s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

You still need to insulate under where there is livable space that is exposed to the elements. Thermally broken balconies wouldn't remove that need. You'd still have a cold space above or below a warm space. Anyway, I'm 99.9% certain that they used thermally broken balconies on those 2 towers.

From Dezeen:
An Economy of Structure

The torsional form of the towers is underpinned with a surprisingly simply and inexpensive structural solution. The two residential towers are supported by a grid of concrete load bearing walls. The bearing walls extend and contract in response to the sectional fluctuation created by the rotation of the floors while the balconies consist of cantilevered concrete slabs. In order to ensure the elegant edge profiles are as thin as possible, there is a thermal break in the slabs at the exterior glazing such that the insulation need not wrap the entirety of the balconies. Meanwhile, the dynamically fluid shaping of the towers, naturally aerodynamic, adeptly handles wind loading and ensures comfort throughout all the balconies. Besides providing every resident with a nice exterior place to enjoy views of Mississauga, the balconies naturally shade the interior from the summer sun while soaking in the winter sun, reducing air conditioning costs.

https://www.dezeen.com/2012/12/12/absolute-towers-by-mad/

AoD

Some additional images from the PDF

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 1.30.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 1.30.27 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 1.30.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 1.30.17 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 789
  • Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 1.30.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 1.30.27 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 829
Yup, we caught that in the first front page story. I think we'll see a lot more of it in Toronto: even though the new code for glass balcony guards means that they are very unlikely to fail now, developers are going feel more confident about these perforated metal guards.

I like a number of the moves in this update. There are several tweaks that make going through the presentation slides worthwhile, but I'd highlight a more varied articulation to the balcony fronts and an increased attention to colour on the building as major wins.

Interesting note from the latest WT report:

Dundee Kilmer continues to complete designs for their next building (Block 16, on the north side of Front St. between Tannery Rd. and Rolling Mills Rd.) in order to initiate market sales in the spring of 2017. The Design Review Panel has asked that Dundee Kilmer include an accessible green roof on the top of the building. Dundee Kilmer is looking into the feasibility of this idea.

Still think the balconies should be folded in 3-dimensions to produce the pattern in the renders rather than the wave + perforated panel scheme they have going on.

I hope these vast swaths of parking lots get filled in soon. Not sure why, with such a fierce demand for inner city condos and prices going through the roof, there seems to be this lull in getting certain long proposed projects started. I don't have figures to back anything I'm saying up, so I'm just going with truthiness. If feels like there should be more happening, especially in places like this.

I read somewhere that banks are getting nervous about lending money, thinking a crash is coming. Honestly, I don't get the Toronto market at all. I don't live there anymore, but things seem out of kilter.

Anywho, back to this development, I hope prospective buyers aren't getting spooked about this area because it is such a ghost town. Maybe they shouldn't have tried to build an entire neighbourhood at once, or spread the projects out so much, leaving huge expanses of parking lots in between the now finished buildings. Just my 2 cents.

Anywho, back to this development, I hope prospective buyers aren't getting spooked about this area because it is such a ghost town. .

I'm in this area on a regular basis and 'ghost town' is the last word I'd used to describe it, considering how new it is. It's become considerably busier over the past three months and there's one building under construction and two more about to start. I love the area. It's going to be a great part of town, esp when a few more buildings stitch it together with the Distillery.

This is actually a development and area that I have on my personal radar. Understandibly, it's going to be a gradual process as it integrates fully with nearby communities. But there is definitely good potential for growth. The retail presence will help a lot once more buildings get built and people move in. The Canary Block website indictates that some notable places to open soon includes Tori's Bakeshop and SukhoThai. Being served by the 514 streetcar is also an added bonus.

I'm intrigued by this neighbourhood too. A well developed high street will surely come but its achilles heel is the lack of a subway line. I moved downtown from King West for exactly this reason. The street car was far too slow and you have to wait outside in January.

If I can't get there by subway or walk there in 10-15 minutes it's a 'No Go Area'.

Back