News   Apr 26, 2024
 199     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 443     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.3K     4 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

I've been to several McDonald's locations around this province that have installed touchscreens for placing orders. Automation continues to take over some jobs.
At least at the McDonalds by my home, that hasn't appeared to reduce the number of staff. I still see the same familiar faces. They now have more staff filling orders and taking orders to tables.

While I'm not so naive as to think there is no benefit to the corporation, I'd be interested to see how many jobs have actually been lost by this.

At least at the McDonalds by my home, that hasn't appeared to reduce the number of staff. I still see the same familiar faces. They now have more staff filling orders and taking orders to tables.

While I'm not so naive as to think there is no benefit to the corporation, I'd be interested to see how many jobs have actually been lost by this.

Jobs may not be "lost", but it might be preventing jobs from being created.

A new PC attack ad. I don't think this is the right strategy; virtually everyone is aware of these scandals. They'd be better off focused on a positive message. I'm not sure they know what their message is though.

A new PC attack ad. I don't think this is the right strategy; virtually everyone is aware of these scandals. They'd be better off focused on a positive message. I'm not sure they know what their message is though.

It's always easier for Liberals since they use public money (via the Teachers union) to run their negative advertising.
Then they are left appearing positive by those who aren't really paying attention (which is most people).

Not only do the Conservatives have to pay for both, they have to manage the appearance.

It's always easier for Liberals since they use public money (via the Teachers union) to run their negative advertising.
Then they are left appearing positive by those who aren't really paying attention (which is most people).

Not only do the Conservatives have to pay for both, they have to manage the appearance.

Cute that you think that the Conservatives don't have interest groups who advertise on their behalf.

It would be easier to swallow if the PCs actually said what they would do different? Nothing. Power corrupts. To hell with the people. It's all about the coveted government pensions and benefits.

It would be easier to swallow if the PCs actually said what they would do different? Nothing. Power corrupts. To hell with the people. It's all about the coveted government pensions and benefits.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/06/30/tear-up-green-energy-act-pc-leader-patrick-brown
“I would immediately rip up the Green Energy Act."

I don't think anyone realistically expects the PCs or NDP to release their platforms a year before the election. The NDP did for a few things and the tired old Liberals just stole their ideas.

During the roll out they hired additional staff to assist people in using them. They would also have hired a number of people to maintain them and update them.

As @ADRM pointed out, the Conservatives have special interest groups too.

That wasn't really my point though. I was referring to the strategy. Negative ads can work if done at the right time and in the right context - this is not the right context.

People are looking for a viable alternative to the Liberals. If the PC Party focuses more on attack ads they're simply letting the Liberals dictate the agenda. What they need to do is share what they believe and how they can improve Ontario.

Last edited:
The University of Washington Study, which I've read, doesn't actually say that.

It suggested that there was a reduction in hours worked, after the increase. (not in employment)

Its the same thing. If people are being paid $11.40 and will then be paid $15.00, if you have 15 employees, you reduce hours and are saving $. Alternately, let go 3 people x $11.40 = $34.20 you now give to the other 12 people to help pay for an increase in their hourly wage. So 12 people x 3.40/per hr increase = $40.80. The company labour costs have now gone up on'y $6.60 per hour. They can raise some prices or even combine to reduce some hours.

Government is banking on people that work 35 hours that will now be making $15. Sure the $126.00 per week increase sounds good (but we all know most don;t work that make hours). By the time you factor in taxes and EI & CPP deducted, probably comes to $40-45 deductions. So at the low end an additional $80 per week. For sure it helps, but now everything is more expensive. Now if they are consistently $80 short every week in paying bills then yes it helps

Jobs may not be "lost", but it might be preventing jobs from being created.
The walmart near my house just installed one self check out counter (like Home Depot has). I bet by Jan there will be more installed in there. As it is you can never find any staff to help the odd I go in as I detest Walmart

Yorkdale Cineplex replaced the ticket booth with machines for anyone paying for tickets with any type of card. The only way you can buy a ticket from a human being is if you use cash. Who uses cash anymore besides for drug deals?

Yorkdale Cineplex replaced the ticket booth with machines for anyone paying for tickets with any type of card. The only way you can buy a ticket from a human being is if you use cash. Who uses cash anymore besides for drug deals?

I do. For purchases under $4 or $5, it's silly to *not* do so.

I use cash for lunch most of the time and for small purchases.

Anyway, I saw the PC's attack ad and it made me want to vote for someone else...

Back