News   Apr 24, 2024
 483     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 659     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 512     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

I agree that Canada presents massive logistical challenges for transit, especially due to our size, weather, and population density.

But a high-speed line that ran from, say, Windsor/Sarnia to Montreal/Quebec City would capture a huge slice of Canada's population and be barely 1000km long. That's not unreasonable, and I think it's fair to say that maybe people in Thunder Bay or North Battleford won't be able to get that service.

The train is faster if you are going downtown as the end destination is a short walk way or subway ride.

The problem is that suburb to suburb commuting is very scattered compared to downtown centric commuting...

Even if you go from to train station in a burb to another train station, the distance to go to and from the station to where you need to go in the end would be quite high as we are quite spread apart compared to other metros around the world. From there we have to use buses and anyone can tell busing in the Suburbs is torture...(I do it)

Its the reason why no one uses the Milton line to go from Milton to Mississauga for commuting.

Therefore I do not see any real solution to this and why I think highways should be expanded because these solutions will take decades and pretty much are saying in the mean time, waste away in traffic hell.

Therefore I do not see any real solution to this and why I think highways should be expanded because these solutions will take decades and pretty much are saying in the mean time, waste away in traffic hell.
Our population is not static, it is going to be growing rapidly in the next 20-30 years.

This presents us with an opportunity to choose corridors for intensification in the suburbs. This way, we can create corridors where rapid or near-rapid transit can operate between dense population, employment and shopping districts. Mississauga is doing this with Hurontario and Dundas.

The answer is not to dwell in the past, but to make the correct choices for the future.

An in-depth backgrounder on hydro prices in Ontario:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//new...io/article33453270/?cmpid=rss1&click=sf_globe

Pertinent to this is a small survey showing the key issues Ontarians are thinking about:

upload_2017-1-9_5-50-8-png.95495

Last edited:
A small preview of what the Cons might be hoping the election issues will be about. Of course, there'll always be the election curveball (likely some MPP talking about social issues) that may throw everything off.

Tory MPPs who spoke with TVO .org on condition of anonymity say there isn’t really a problem in the party’s ranks. The stories that consume the news cycle in Toronto aren’t resonating, they say, at the riding level. The party, they say, remains focused on the high cost of electricity and other pocketbook issues — which they’re confident the next election will be fought over.

(There’s a small mystery for some Tories, about why the hydro price issue exploded in 2016, even though both opposition parties had been railing against Liberal energy policies for years to little effect. One credited a series by Global Television over the summer, and the ensuing byelection win in Scarborough–Rouge River, with finally cementing the issue in the public consciousness.)

http://tvo.org/article/current-affa...iggest-electoral-problem-may-be-his-own-party

I think the outrage is less so the electricity rate, but all the extra 'adjustment' costs that get tacked onto the bills. The actual electric rate is fairly similar to other jurisdictions, but the additional costs bump the total cost much higher.

People look at those perceiving that the government's attempting to grab more money without raising the actual cost/kwH and assume all of that is going to government waste and corporations.

Reality is that any wage growth which is very limited is eaten up by increasing taxes and fees by this government.

So no, they are not making life easier and better for average Ontarians.

HKLU9gZ5_normal.jpg
Chris Turner@theturner
1 hour ago
Ontario "mid-peak" electricity rate in Nov 2016: 13.2 cents/kWh New York state rate in Nov 2016: 17.8 cents/kWh US natl avg: 13.1 cents/kWh

iceytown@rodneytown
If you've ever paid a NS Power bill, you'd LOL at the idea that ON hydro prices are "out of control" https://t.co/LG9HvfqB3S

Does that mean the issue is delivery charges? Or are the people who are complaining the owners of energy inefficient homes?

Most of the "evidence" presented in media is anecdotal, which makes me wonder if the most vocal are just people who have (unfortunately) found themselves in a high-cost building or location?

If an election were held today, the PCs would have a 70 seat majority, the NDP would be official opposition, and the Liberals would have 11 seats.

Edit: Old poll. Thanks for catching, junior43.

Last edited:

Back