California Condos (Camrost-Felcorp) - Real Estate -

^^^
Everything would be a tight fit.

I toured a 410 sq ft (listed at 40 sq.metres) 1 bdrm in Vancouver about 3 years ago. Kitchen/Livingroon was quite compact.
Kitchen appliances were tucked underneath an island kitchen bar. Dining room table folded up against the wall.
The bedroom could fit a double-sized bed. If you tried to squeeze a queen in the bedroom, then there'd be no room for a dresser.

I said to the listing agent that at least one wouldn't need much furniture!

Other than to single, first-time buyers, I'm not sure how an agent could market suites like this?

I'm looking forward to seeing the suite design. The builder has a reputation for good suite designs and maximizing living space. Good thing that there are a lot of first time buyers out there these days. A good first step into the market.

455 is still a studio no matter how you spin it. I don't care if you put in a closet as a bedroom ..... when it comes to resale, people will still look at it as a studio. On a side note for those who are interested in buying these suites, make sure you get a pre-approval with your lender first because many lenders don't give loans on properties less than 500 square feet. I assume parking is extra at this price?. I see some bachelors/studios (bigger than 455) a t Malibu and WaterPark City that were selling for similar prices so i don't know how hot this deal is.

I'm looking forward to seeing the suite design. The builder has a reputation for good suite designs and maximizing living space. Good thing that there are a lot of first time buyers out there these days. A good first step into the market.

you almost sound like a plant for the developer.

i've never heard anyone so joyed at the prospect of paying $150K for 455 SF.

haha, so when someone says something positive, people automatically think they're a plant for the developer? But no. I live and work in the area of this project, and yes, $150K for a 1 bedroom is a great deal. To compare with a recent project, fly was selling 401 sf. starting at $160k. This is a much better offering at a lower cost!

Why do I think I can't go wrong with this? The Neighbourhood is well established, close to major routes, the area is building up all around, etc. This location will hold its value and appreciate over time - I might as well buy now while the price is attractive and rates are at an all-time low.

Well, I'd have to check out the location again, but from what I remember, the spot is a good one. (I used to ride my bike past there along the waterfront.)

And if it is like I remember, I do think it's a reasonable deal. However, I also know that units that small get old fast. There's no space for anything. Definitely something to consider if this is going to be your home that you're buying with your own money.

What is the rental market like out there for units this small? I do know tiny studio units are relatively easy to rent out at Harbourfront, but that's closer to the downtown core and is a more popular area.

haha, so when someone says something positive, people automatically think they're a plant for the developer? But no. I live and work in the area of this project, and yes, $150K for a 1 bedroom is a great deal. To compare with a recent project, fly was selling 401 sf. starting at $160k. This is a much better offering at a lower cost!

Why do I think I can't go wrong with this? The Neighbourhood is well established, close to major routes, the area is building up all around, etc. This location will hold its value and appreciate over time - I might as well buy now while the price is attractive and rates are at an all-time low.

Fly vs. California is comparing apples to oranges.

I'm not promoting Fly but 401 SF for $160K vs 455 SF for $150K at California can be attributed to location alone ... dt Toronto vs west Etobicoke.

If you buy the 455SF unit, make sure it's liveable b/c the area you'll actually receive will be 8-10% less.

Man, I remember only 10 years ago when 650 SF was minimum for 1 bedroom!

Now they're passing off 455 SF as 1 bedroom units ....:(

what is the exact site location of this building , 515 The Queensway ?????? ,
they don't say on the website :confused:

They haven't posted the 1-bedroom unit floor plans, but the existing ones are already quite small. For example, the 1 bedroom plus den Del Mar has a bedroom size of 9'x10', or 90 square feet.

My previous condo's master bedroom was 13'10" by 9'1" or 125.7 square feet, which meant I could get a queen bed in there and a good-sized dresser and night tables with a bit of room to spare. With a 90 square foot room like the Del Mar you'd maybe be able to put in a double, and a small dresser, but it'd be a tight fit. A double bed is 6.25' long by 4.5' wide. A dresser is much bigger than its physical dimensions, because you need to be able to open the drawers up fully and still stand in front of it. For example, my cheap IKEA dresser is 19" deep, but 31" when opened. Then you need about another 18" so you can stand in front of it. So, that's, 39", or 3.25 feet or so. Also, you need a couple of feet on either side of the bed to walk.

6.25' + 3.25' = 9.5'
4.5' + 2' + 2' = 8.5'

That Del Mar 10'x9' bedroom gives you another 6 inches in length and width for good measure.

A double is fine for one person, but for two people I really find it cramped. Don't you want visitors? ;) However, if you're fine with a double, then that's OK. Just be aware of what you're getting yourself into with such small units. And that's assuming the 1 bedroom units have bedrooms as "big" as the Del Mar, but I wouldn't actually count on that.

Last edited:
They haven't posted the 1-bedroom unit floor plans, but the existing ones are already quite small. For example, the 1 bedroom plus den Del Mar has a bedroom size of 9'x10', or 90 square feet.

The master bedroom in my current rental unit is around 11.5 x 9.5 feet totaling 109 sq.feet and is a bit cramped compared to most places I've lived. However, I think this is fairly standard and not too bad for a condo.

Just make sure your small space is rectangular in shape! I think we've all seen rooms where the grossly irregular shape leads to inefficient use of the space.

Yeah, 110 sq. ft would be OK. Not great, but OK.

I personally wouldn't be able to tolerate a 90 sq. ft. master bedroom. Instead of spending $150000 plus parking and taxes on such a small unit, I'd just rent.

Thanks for the sales pitch Funkster!

My syndicate is looking to buy 100,000 units asap.:rolleyes:

You can't beat the location!

You can't beat the price!

You can't beat the hideous architecture!

You can't beat the traffic noise!

You can't beat the smell!

Buy now, before the crash!:p

Intersting report on CBC News the other day about how California Condos will be releasing new suite designs at incredible price points. Drove by the Presentation Gallery last night and new signage is up.

I live in the area and think it's great that they are offering new product that will be attractive to first time buyers who want to get in the market. IMO, at that price, you can't go wrong from both an investment / living POV.

Link to news segment: http://www.cbc.ca/video/popup.html?http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/toronto/ondemand/video/condo-war-061109.wmv

Be careful. When a developer is desperate to unload inventory at such deep discounts it's a sign of impending
disaster. He is probably trying to finish the project, even at a loss, to recoup his equity. Don't be surprised if this one gets scrapped along with the growing list of other projects.

If you want to live in California I suggest you move there. Much better deals!

If you want to live in California I suggest you move there. Much better deals!

Funny you should say that ... prices in Stocken, which used to be one of the cities with expensive Cali R.E. are cheaper than TO.

I have yet to confirm but SFO and LAX are also supposedly substantially lower (35-40%) from their peaks.

Back