News   Apr 19, 2024
 342     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 672     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 737     1 

Cabbagetown

Wait...going east on Lakeshore you can no longer turn north on Parliament?? That's really inconvenient. I wonder why...I never noticed any traffic issues resulting from that green arrow. You can't turn north on Jarvis from Lakeshore, can you turn on Sherbourne?
I expect it's a Pam-Am temporary change, likely so they can run an HOV lane up the left hand side, or at least keep traffic moving.

Wait...going east on Lakeshore you can no longer turn north on Parliament?? That's really inconvenient. I wonder why...I never noticed any traffic issues resulting from that green arrow. You can't turn north on Jarvis from Lakeshore, can you turn on Sherbourne?
I expect it's a Pam-Am temporary change, likely so they can run an HOV lane up the left hand side, or at least keep traffic moving.

Ahh...good to know. Thanks. Still a pain (how does one get to Cabbagetown when travelling east on Lakeshore?), but if it's only temporary thats not a real problem.

Yeah I'd hardly consider Berkley south of Gerrard to be Cabbagetown. But Google Maps does.

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 2.43.48 PM.png

Although there are a few rooming houses in Cabbagetown proper, that story is a bit extreme. Knives being thrown into next door yards? Prostitutes turning tricks on the balcony? People getting cracked over the head with beer bottles and lying in a pool of blood? Yeah, that's at the extreme end of things.

Here's a rooming house next to a multi-million dollar renovated home on Sackville just north of Spruce. The rooming house is really, really run down and there are always people loitering on the front steps but there's no violence and they keep it quiet.

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 2.40.51 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 2.40.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 2.40.51 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,339
  • Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 2.43.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 2.43.48 PM.png
    470.7 KB · Views: 1,315
Yeah I'd hardly consider Berkley south of Gerrard to be Cabbagetown. But Google Maps does.

Agree - Cabbagetown north of Gerrard and east of Parliament is a different, more cohesive place than the more ragged edges of South Cabbagetown / Moss Park. The landlord quoted in the Toronto Star article is notorious for owning multiple rooming houses around Dundas & Sherbourne.

Here's a rooming house next to a multi-million dollar renovated home on Sackville just north of Spruce. The rooming house is really, really run down and there are always people loitering on the front steps but there's no violence and they keep it quiet.

Those rooming houses are pretty awful - and exceptional, there are 100 nice houses for every one rooming house in Cabbagetown proper. Every year another one or two is sold and turned into a family home. Hopefully these will go that way as well.

Also agree the house on the left has been renovated to a high level - it is gorgeous! My favorite feature is the gas lantern in the front garden.

Last edited:
Agree - Cabbagetown north of Gerrard and east of Parliament is a different, more cohesive place than the more ragged edges of South Cabbagetown / Moss Park. The landlord quoted in the Toronto Star article is notorious for owning multiple rooming houses around Dundas & Sherbourne.
Same guy is quoted here in 2000 as owning the 373 and 371 Sackville St., and five other flophouses in the area, likely the worst rooming houses around. http://hpn.asu.edu/archives/2000-July/000985.html I imagine many are waiting for Peter Diakogeorgiou to expire and then for his estate to fight it out over inheritance, resulting in this buildings going to the free market.

I've read about Peter Diakogeorgiou before; I had no idea that he owned those semis on Sackville!
Many I've spoken to over the years are waiting for this slumlord to expire, in the hope that his heirs fight over the spoils, sell out to developers and get those rooming houses either cleaned up or switched back to their single family origins.

I missed the tour, but my family told me that 377 was impressive, if perhaps a bit of a showpiece in the the peafowl fashion rather than a home. But it's a house show, so you have to expect a bit of glam over warmth.

@Admiral Beez I'm not familiar with that expression. It was a pleasure to tour the house; it's a stunner. Clearly well thought out and well executed. The owner definitely spared no expense! (read: very LUX finishes and insane details).

Anyway, apparently one of the Diakogeorgiou properties at Berkeley and Gerrard caught on fire on Sunday.

And some very disturbing news... a leading post on Reddit is from a 15 year old recounting being mugged and stabbed while leaving Riverdale Park West. It sounds like he was walking/riding his minisegway through Cabbagetown and followed at some point. Note: he refers to the neighbourhood as Riverdale, however he later posts a map pointing to the exact location of the incident, River St just off of Spruce St. Very disturbing: https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/3nhehx/i_got_stabbed_a_week_ago_when_getting_robbed_i_am/

@Admiral Beez I'm not familiar with that expression. It was a pleasure to tour the house; it's a stunner. Clearly well thought out and well executed. The owner definitely spared no expense! (read: very LUX finishes and insane details).

Anyway, apparently one of the Diakogeorgiou properties at Berkeley and Gerrard caught on fire on Sunday.

And some very disturbing news... a leading post on Reddit is from a 15 year old recounting being mugged and stabbed while leaving Riverdale Park West. It sounds like he was walking/riding his minisegway through Cabbagetown and followed at some point. Note: he refers to the neighbourhood as Riverdale, however he later posts a map pointing to the exact location of the incident, River St just off of Spruce St. Very disturbing: https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/3nhehx/i_got_stabbed_a_week_ago_when_getting_robbed_i_am/

I would say that intersection is the margin of Cabbagetown at best. The apartment buildings SE of Gerrard/River are some of the worst in TCHC's portfolio (220 Oak St in particular is a shambles). Sounds like neither the perp nor victim lived in Cabbagetown, but were just passing eachother at a border..

Back