News   Apr 24, 2024
 65     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.9K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 579     0 

Cabbagetown

it's just an unwritten expectation that someone living in this neighborhood would want to maintain a certain level of curb appeal to their property. Unfortunately it's a grey area that really can't be enforced.
I disagree. I've been in the neighbourhood over 16 years and one can clearly see homes in all levels of repair and condition. There are run down rooming houses, neglected homes with senior shut-ins, TCHC rentals with rubbish outfront, etc. Yes, there are some very prettily maintained and restored homes in CT, but I'd say at least half are simply common homes (like my three floor semi), 1/4 are run down and 1/4 are beautiful showpieces.

I disagree. I've been in the neighbourhood over 16 years and one can clearly see homes in all levels of repair and condition. There are run down rooming houses, neglected homes with senior shut-ins, TCHC rentals with rubbish outfront, etc. Yes, there are some very prettily maintained and restored homes in CT, but I'd say at least half are simply common homes (like my three floor semi), 1/4 are run down and 1/4 are beautiful showpieces.

Based on those estimates, 75% of the homes would fall under common home or showpiece. Most people in the neighborhood would have no issues with the curb appeal of any of those homes. When I speak of a certain level of curb appeal, I simply mean clean, kept and tidy. No one in any neighborhood expect a mini Casa Loma on their neighbor's front yard but I believe most people would expect a generally accepted level of upkeep.

I disagree. I've been in the neighbourhood over 16 years and one can clearly see homes in all levels of repair and condition.

Agree that there are homes in all states of condition in Cabbagetown. 95% are clearly lovingly cared for; 4% could use improvement; 1% are awful TCHC rooming houses. The bad houses really stick out because they're so rare.

^ The truth of the matter with those 5% of houses is that unless they're violating a bylaw or creating a dangerous/illegal situation, neighbors really don't have any legal grounds to force that neighbor to do anything to change it.

Never change Cabbagetown residents

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...esidents-wading-in-on-splash-pad-controversy/

The upcoming addition of a new splash pad in Wellesley Park has left some Old Cabbagetown residents incensed over what they say is a loss of the area’s heritage character.

Local resident Stephen Poulin likened the plan to replace the wading pool in the small park to having a miniature “Cirque du Soleil†at the end of Wellesley Street East. He feels the City did not consult enough with local residents on the project, which is being built now and is expected to be fully installed in Wellesley Park later this summer.

“They’re turning a quiet little green space that’s been used for years as a park and trees into a hyperactive Disneyland of waterworks,†he said.

We have a motion-sensor light in our backyard. During a big wind storm, or when the raccoons are particularly active, it can come off and on repeatedly at night. Our bedroom faces the backyard and my husband will complain, tongue firmly in cheek, that our backyard "is worse than Vegas".

That's what I was thinking when I read the miniature Cirque de Soleil/"hyperactive Disneyland of waterworks" comments. Except, unlike my husband, he wasn't kidding. Apparently among some in Cabbagetown it's not hyperbole to describe a blue canopy in that way.

I need more information with regards to what colours can be considered "heritage". Is there an 19th century Sherwin-Williams catalogue that everyone needs to work from?

This is most Cabbagetown thing ever.

Pretty sure those complaining are the ASBO dog owners on Wellseley who use Wellseley Park as an unofficial off leach dog park. With refurbished facilities, more families with children will be using the space and the dog owners of Wellseley St E will have to trek a few hundred meters further to Riverdale Park West.

Our young family can't wait for this new pad to be open!

This is most Cabbagetown thing ever.

Pretty sure those complaining are the ASBO dog owners on Wellseley who use Wellseley Park as an unofficial off leach dog park. With refurbished facilities, more families with children will be using the space and the dog owners of Wellseley St E will have to trek a few hundred meters further to Riverdale Park West.

Our young family can't wait for this new pad to be open!

Wow. Is it jump-to-conclusions-and-slam-other-park-users day? The use of the acronym ASBO in that post certainly qualifies as the kettle calling the pot black.

Wow. Is it jump-to-conclusions-and-slam-other-park-users day? The use of the acronym ASBO in that post certainly qualifies as the kettle calling the pot black.

Well, this is Cabbagetown.

I have no issues with most dog owners who follow the rules. We've had 2 incidents (one minor, one very serious) with off leash dogs at this park in the past year. If these ASBO dog owners followed the rules, we would have had zero incidents and a lot less tears.

The more you go around calling groups of people ASBO, the more I assume that you are the ASBO. Unclear how it is that it's these dog owners who are complaining about the blue canopy.

The more you go around calling groups of people ASBO, the more I assume that you are the ASBO. Unclear how it is that it's these dog owners who are complaining about the blue canopy.

I don't know how it's unclear?

1) The city requires dogs to be on leashes in city parks such as Wellseley Park (infractions carry a $240 fine according to Municipal Code Sec. 349).
2) Sometimes some dog owners take their dogs off leash in the park anyway. This unpermitted antisocial behavior affects users of the park who might not want dogs running around freely. It's extra-ASBO if your off leash dogs bites a kid. This happened to us twice in this park.

I know a few people who are wary of Wellseley Park because of law flaunting, selfish, perhaps even antisocial dog owners. Once the new splashpad is in, and the park is used by more families, then there will be more pressure for dog owners to follow the rules. I suspect dog owners who run their dogs off leash make up at least some of the voices who want the park left as-is.

Some background: "Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill said the "dog Asbos" would "help encourage dog owners to take responsibility for the actions of their dogs"." , http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-12587725

Back