News   Apr 26, 2024
 375     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 949     1 

Burlington Canal Lift Bridge Upgrades

tsm1072

Member Bio
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread mention this, but this has been a ongoing project since earlier this year and I think worthy of note. The Burlington Canal Lift Bridge is going through a refurbishment and complete deck replacement. It would be fairly standard maintenance, but I noted in the project website (https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/biens-property/construction/burlington-eng.html) they are planning to widen pedestrian and cycling pathways.

This is an important cycling and pedestrian link between 2 well-used multiuse pathways, and serves as the only feasible cycling route between Burlington and East Hamilton/Stoney Creek. A widening of the approaches and pathway on the bridge will be appreciated as it will hopefully reduce conflicts and remove the requirements for cyclists to dismount while crossing(a requirement that most ignore).

The construction currently has the bridge down to a single lane that alternates direction. The pedestrian/cycling pathway is maintained, and I'm fairly impressed with the temporary walkways and crossings they have put in place to support safe use of the bridge by pedestrians and cyclists. I'll grab pictures my next time biking through.

Does anyone have any info on the final design here? It seems like it went through without any consultation or public meetings, but I may have just missed that.

What geniuses at both the MTO and PSPC authorized weekend shutdowns of the Fort Erie bound QEW while the this bridge was reduced to one lane? Why didn't the Cities of Burlington and Hamilton raise objection to this double closure?

On the website linked above the it's lists the MTO as a party of interest.

Don't these parties talk?

What geniuses at both the MTO and PSPC authorized weekend shutdowns of the Fort Erie bound QEW while the this bridge was reduced to one lane? Why didn't the Cities of Burlington and Hamilton raise objection to this double closure?

On the website linked above the it's lists the MTO as a party of interest.

Don't these parties talk?
Would you be surprised if I said the answer is no?

I commuted through here today and got some pictures. Traffic was heavy for vehicles, and there was a good mix of commuting and recreational cyclists. You can see in the photos the detour paths they have set up, along with the new signalized crosswalks. There is no beg button and the signals are timed such that pedestrians get a signal immediately after traffic on their side of the bridge gets a red, and before the opposing traffic is given a green. They are essentially using the bridge "clear" time to provide pedestrians and cyclists with time to cross. This works out quite well timing wise if you cycle at a slow pace across the bridge, you will typically hit the walk signal on both ends. Note: the signage all indicates for cyclists to walk their bikes, most cyclists were ignoring that signage. I'd say that is fairly justifiable, given that cyclists will typically outnumber pedestrians 10:1 across this bridge.

PXL_20230816_214557836.jpg

PXL_20230816_214610307.jpg
PXL_20230816_214614246.jpg

PXL_20230816_214626416.jpg

PXL_20230816_214657954.jpg

PXL_20230816_214723333.jpg

PXL_20230816_214725094.jpg

PXL_20230816_214731538.jpg

PXL_20230816_214900521.MP.jpg

I drive by near the Lift Bridge to see the reopened to drivers today after major repairs to the bridge but the road is still closed and it will reopen tomorrow in time for Around the bay road race will happen on Sunday.

Reactions: PL1
The lift bridge did open up this week to a single lane of vehicle traffic (similar to last summer/fall) and a temporary pathway for bike and pedestrian traffic. I was running late, so I only got a few quick pictures. The main bridge deck has been fully replaced, and they have created a temporary pathway for pedestrian traffic on the East side of the Bridge (opposite from usual). The path is protected with some large metal jersey barriers with a fence on top, they have also laid done rubber matting over the bridge deck to provide a nicer surface for bikes and pedestrians. Being on the East side is convenient as there are now no road crossings required when taking the detours on and off the waterfront trial at each end. Traffic is now also sent over the East side of the bridge (opposite of last summer). They have not yet touched the old pedestrian pathway, so I expect that work will be done this summer or next winter. This summer, they are working on the bridge approaches and already have the west side of the southbound approach excavated as you can see in my pictures:

PXL_20240322_113005902.jpg

PXL_20240322_113011121.jpg

PXL_20240322_113007720.jpg

Here is the project webpage outlining the Phase 2 work (Phase 1 is now complete), as well as some pictures they have taken of the phase 1 work: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-ser...rlington-bridge/deck-replacement-project.html

1711197262101.png

1711197284666.png

1711197315129.png

1711197332091.png

I expect a good amoung of visual progress as the summer goes on.

I believe they already reconstructed the pedestrian crossing as a part of the first phase.

All that's remaining at this point is the approaches, then the project is done, from my understanding.

I believe they already reconstructed the pedestrian crossing as a part of the first phase.

All that's remaining at this point is the approaches, then the project is done, from my understanding.
Interesting, I had assumed the crossing was going to be made wider based on the project description. It didn't look refurbed in the fall, and the Google Streetview from August of last year doesn't show any differences from October 2020:
1711209053138.png

Aug 2023
1711209093150.png

Oct 2020

When I'm next heading through, I'll see if I can can good pictures and notice if they've done anything on the pedestrian path over the 3 month closure.

Back