Toronto Burano | ?m | 48s | Lanterra | a—A

"The third phase won't be actually phase 3 of murano. It'll be called Burano."

My, my... I think I actually predicted that one. How wonderfully cheesy. Should we count on a hypothetical Phase 4 being called "Lido"?

Re: Burano

From the Star... so it's ORC land?

---

Cadillac of dealers closing
Mar 02, 2007 04:30 AM
Tony Wong
business reporter

Bay Street brokers looking to spend bonus money on an upscale Cadillac would most likely have ended up at Addison On Bay, one of Toronto's most historic car dealerships.

But in a few weeks, they'll have to look elsewhere.

The dealership is closing its doors this month.

The site north of the intersection of Bay and College and across from Toronto Police Services headquarters has been a dealership since 1925.

But Toronto's real estate boom has made it increasingly difficult for businesses that need large showrooms to operate on prime land in the city.

"This decision was a difficult one and one that was ultimately based on economic factors, including the increasing cost of maintaining a central downtown location," Clarke Addison, president of the dealership, wrote in a letter to customers.

Addison said the business would be closed on or before March 16.

"Watching the business grow and prosper has been the trip of a lifetime."

In 1999, the Addison showroom at 832 Bay St. was designated a historic property by the City of Toronto.

The building originally housed the Toronto dealership of Col. Sam McLaughlin, once president of General Motors of Canada.

The handsome structure is constructed of steel with brick cladding and limestone trim.

An elegant interior showcases plaster columns and ceiling beams, and mouldings in the first-floor new car showroom.

Since 1955, Addison has been the tenant, renting the property from the Ontario government.

But in a controversial deal in 2000, Addison Properties Ltd. bought the site in addition to another piece of land on the east side of the street from the Ontario Realty Corp.

The site was sold without tender for what some media reports pegged at one-third its market value.

An Ontario government spokesperson said at the time that Addison was given the exclusive right to buy the properties without a competitive bidding process because the dealership was a long-term tenant.

Since then, the value of the site has further skyrocketed with the increasing popularity of condominium development.

The site is particularly attractive for development because of its proximity to the luxury shops of Bloor Street to the north, the Bay Street financial district to the south, Queen's Park to the west and Yonge Street to the east.

The former used car lot across the street has already been developed as an upscale condominium and retail project.

It is unclear what plans Addison has for the existing heritage site.

Addison management did not return calls yesterday.

Clarke Addison said in his letter to customers that the majority of staff would be relocated to other Addison businesses in the GTA.

The company has new- and used-car dealerships in Mississauga and Toronto selling various General Motors brands such as Buick, Pontiac, GMC and Cadillac.

so it's ORC land?

Was ORC land... this was a huge controversy/scandal a couple of years ago. The government sold the land to the Addison people for what was perceived to be below market value, a couple of years latter the land was flipped for a significant profit to Lanterra.

"It is unclear what plans Addison has for the existing heritage site."

The reporter should have checked here to answer that question...it's pretty clear that it's going to be another Lanterra condominium.

How dopey can you get - there's a notice of application posted on the site that lists the proposal at 48 stories. Did Tony Wong actually even visit the site to write the article? How embarrassing.

Are we supposed to feel sorry for the dealership, or for all those poor brokers having to go further afield to buy a Caddie?

Do brokers even buy Caddies?

Who other than retirees in Florida buys a Cadillac?

^Might come as a big shocko, but car purchasing habits are a little different in Canada.

Were Canadian buying habits at all mentioned?

Anyhow, it doesn't change the fact that Cadillac has (rather successfully) been appealing to younger consumers in the past 5 years or so. I don't have any figures, but I would surprised if overall sales of Cadillacs in Canada aren't up and the average age of purchasers down in that same period.

At last years Hot Docs film festival, Cadillac was inexplicably a sponsor of the festival, and every time their ad played before the movies the crowd would boo loudly and lustily.

Oh, that was so fabulous. It was perhaps sweetest at the doc about the purported upcoming oil crisis. Not only was it an ad featuring an SUV on a fashion show runway, the SUV in question gave every appearance of actually rising onto the runway *out of a pool of oil*.

That audience-participation segment was the best part of the film, actually. It peaked early.

Agreed; you gotta realize that the Hot Docs demo might be polar opposite to the Caddy demo (and also a touch Naomi Kleinish re *all* automobile advertising). So the boos are understandable in that context.

Otherwise, I doubt Canada's that terribly different from the States buying-habit-wise, all things considered; Caddys *do* equal "bling" to those who desire bling. (Well, Escalades do, at least.)

I hope the developer does not try to (or is not forced) to retain the facade of the dealership. It's not that impressive, and in any case will look awful is some 50 story tower is erected above it.

Back