News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 542     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Brick and cobblestone streets in Toronto

Please forgive me as I hijack the thread and go off on a nitpicky little tangent. It's not that big of a deal, but this has bugged me for a while.

This is a cobblestone street:
800px-Acorn_Street_Beacon_Hill_Boston_Massachusetts.JPG

This is a cobblestone street:
399px-Guzow-oryszew_road_cm04.jpg

A cobble is a smooth naturally occurring stone, taken from a riverbed, that is of the approximate size as in the cobblestone pictures above. It's also used as a geological term for stones of that size.

This is not a cobblestone street:
Cobblestones_01.jpg

When a stone is cut (generally into a square or rectangle) for paving, it's referred to as a sett, a Belgian block, or, more generally, a paving stone.

Cobblestone streets were much cheaper to build, as you didn't need to cut the stone, you just had to gather some small stones from the local river. The photos should make the disadvantages of this method quite obvious.

That said, the term "cobblestones" is used incorrectly so often that it has pretty much become acceptable. Even the Wikipedia explanation of why cut stones aren't cobblestones is immediately followed by false examples of "cobblestones".

Last edited:
Point taken.
Puerta Vallarta immediately comes to mind for it's beautiful cobblestone streets in the old town. It's so nice to see when walking around, though I can tell you first hand that I lost my footing more than once when crossing the street after a few drinks! Another disadvantage to cobblestone streets here is riding the 1960's "transit buses" (old, decommissioned American school buses) that lack any type of suspension, but for 15 cents I guess one shouldn't complain.

I appreciate the explanation, CDL.TO. I assumed cobblestone to mean cut granite blocks. That's also a common perception, it seems. I'll be editing the list to reflect these new facts.

RC8 said:
Visited the Toronto Islands on friday and couldn't help noticing Nottawa Street and other surrounding paths had bricks. Looked great, and not due to the fact they are pedestrian streets should they not be considered streets at all. Obviously street view would be a problem.

I took a couple of pictures. Will post them here later this week.

I look forward to seeing those photos. I've been thinking about those residential streets on the islands paved with modern pavers, but without street view I can't remember which ones have pavers, and I'm not so inclined to find out right now because it's so cold. I agree, they belong on the list. Being the only transportation corridors for the people living in that neighbourhood on the Islands, they're true streets.

Last edited:
At the moment the City is laying a new watrmain and sewer on Eastern Avenue and Front Street East. They are now working just east of Parliament and you can see a layer of brick about a foot below the asphalt.

Here we go:

168686_100881823324167_100002070481397_4563_1154218_n.jpg

180478_100882169990799_100002070481397_4572_3189410_n.jpg

180473_100881736657509_100002070481397_4562_3556179_n.jpg

One of the streets pictured is Nottawa and the other one is the one that leads to the bridge to get into algonquin island. Hope that helps!

Driving on Hanna (?) street in Liberty Village yesterday, I saw a few spots where chunks of asphalt were missing, with glorious red bricks underneath.

You can thank my wife for remembering Elmsthorpe Ave. to add to your map.. :)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...=iRiNYtv9nxdTjVF_5j3ZBw&cbp=12,161.26,,0,3.88

That's a great discovery! I am thankful to your wife. It looks like another interesting street. I'll be adding it soon. It's impressive how many brick streets are in the Forest Hill area.

Towered said:
Driving on Hanna (?) street in Liberty Village yesterday, I saw a few spots where chunks of asphalt were missing, with glorious red bricks underneath.

The city should definitely look at restoring some of its brick streets. I think they have more of a visual effect in denser areas.

Last edited:
Until rather recently, Toronto had cobblestones laid between the streetcar tracks.

streetcar-4604-11.jpg

canstock2521049.png

Nowadays along the streetcar right-of-ways there would be concrete with rubble groves laid in. However, along the shared roadways, it would remain as smooth concrete.

20091211-StClairLRT-lookingeast.jpg

The smooth concrete between the streetcar tracks has the disadvantage of encouraging car traffic to use the tracks for travel (causing delays for the streetcars) instead of encouraging them to shift to the right.

Those stones can still be found on the Harbourfront/Spadina streetcar lines. For example at the stop on the East side of Queens Quay at Spadina.

The potholes on Macpherson, Glen north of Elm and Nesbitt are so bad, Toronto would appear to be moving to a dirt-gravel street paving model. My Australian father in law can't get over how badly paved Toronto streets are. I know we have freeze-thaw cycles and all, but other northern cities seem to be able to pave streets properly. Glen is so bad that even cars hug the centre line to avoid the crap spot repairs of utility cuts that date back at least a decade, and it's horrible for cyclists.

Back