Toronto Brant Park | 35.36m | 11s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

hym2oiz.jpg

EIFS is not going to be the exterior cladding method here. In fact, my understanding is that the OAA does not provide any coverage for cases where EIFS is used, due to the volume of legal issues that stem from its short functional lifespan.

EIFS has the stucco applied to a polystyrene level. DEFS has the stucco directly applied to the gypsum.

The glass condos that have infilled the neighbourhoods along King Street West are generally attractive neomodern buildings. In many cases, they've improved streets and neighbourhoods. Stewart Street has turned out wonderfully, for instance. What's striking is how trashy the public realm looks in comparison to the buildings in many cases. The old overhead wires and utilitarian concrete poles are still in place. The concrete sidewalks have not been upgraded. In some cities, planners would quickly widen sidewalks, introduce new paving materials and install boulevard trees with a wave of development like this one. Here, the buildings seem far better than the public realm.

I actually don't mind the stucco and think that it is appropriate as the building is in the International Style which stucco was a common finish of that era.
If it was done in metal panel the seams would be more apparent, there is greater risk of installation faults (Picasso is a good example), and opportunities of denting and tin canning. I think it looks pretty sharp.
IMG_4494.JPG
IMG_4496.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4494.JPG
    IMG_4494.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,539
  • IMG_4496.JPG
    IMG_4496.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,503
Really like that stucco finish. It looks like real stucco with the scratch and brown coat not that fake looking eifs that when tapped on feels like hollow plastic.

It looks good. I'm weirdly kinda sad to see the yellow go. (Though I always say we need more colour, typically yellow is not what I have in mind)

But in UD's pic above the yellow on the upper levels kinda worked.

I would like to see a little Canary Yellow used in some new building. The Canary District would have been a logical place to start, but they used green!

There was a canary yellow stucco loft building on King by Shaw. Didn't look too bad when it was built. Of course, it was repainted since by the corp, I think, a beige colour.

This is not going to age well. Synthetic Stucco is a magnet for dirt. Doesn't take much to damage the finish or gypsum board underneath.

Back