News   Apr 19, 2024
 316     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.8K     2 

Brampton Transit/Zum

Brampton Transit has released their planned service improvements for September 2009 (Warning: PDF 19MB)

Basically, no new routes planned, but some route re-alignments and general service increases. Most routes with weekend service will now have a 30 minute service minimum, even evenings and Sundays.

Route 2 is extended south to Derry Road, with a connection to the 407/Hurontario GO stop. Route 11 gets a rush-hour branch, 11A between Bramalea GO and Shoppers World, for a combined 4 minute service. The industrial routes (10, 20, 40) get late evening rush-hour service to provide afternoon/midnight shift change service.

And bike racks are now in operation as of today. http://brampton.ca/transit/bikeRide/home.tml

My problem with the Brampton bike racks:

Each bike rack has the capacity to carry two bicycles. The rack is equipped to carry a standard bicycle with a wheel diameter of at least 41cm (16â€). Bicycles with fenders are not allowed.

Since the most likely people to use the racks are people who are cycling to work and school, they tend to want to arrive clean and dry. So they install fenders!!!

Fired off a stern email last night and I'm waiting for a reply. Any cyclists want to weigh in?

Accelride/GO/Hurontario LRT linked at PMH site?

I guess this could be posted either in GO improvements, this thread or the thread about Hurontario ......

....anyway, a story in the local Brampton paper where the city wants the province to consider an intermodal link at the site of the currently closed PMH.

http://northpeel.com/news/article/69745

Warning: My comments make more sense if you read the article (I originally posted these thoughts on another forum - CPTDB - so I'm copying and pasting).

Here are all the things I see to be wrong with the idea proposed in the paper:

1) Running LRT in a creek prone to flooding is an environmental nightmare waiting to happen. Under the new environmental assessment it's very hard to get a project rejected, but this could be the magic formula.
2) Downtown Brampton at Main & Queen is where two legs of the Places to Grow Act urban growth centre meet. It is the logical meeting point of two lines that will support the growth objectives of the act. There is no good rationale to move the meeting point away from this node.
3) In order to add service beyond downtown Brampton you will need to add capacity through the choke-point regardless. Moving the GO station will not solve the problem.
4) This will reduce the efficiency of the Hurontario route as a whole, as the long term plan is to continue northward to the small growth centres planned for the Snelgrove and Main/Bovaird areas.
5) There still must be a terminal in downtown Brampton, as moving the Queen Street line out of downtown Brampton would remove it form the Growth Centre it is designed to serve. This would be counterproductive to the Act.

I think it's a good thing for the city to try and seize an opportunity when it presents itself, but this is not a good idea from a planning perspective. The hospital site (and everything along that corridor) could be adequately served by the Queen Street Acceleride line and I think that bringing the Hurontario line there too will harm the integrity of the future transit network and land-use planning in the city.

In other news, Brampton Transit has revised their policy on the issue I raised a few weeks ago. They are back in my good books again.

Routes 10 and 40 are just awful routes, probably the worst routing in the GTA, what are they thinking. I am surprised they have plans to fix them after this time.

Just have one route provide two-way service on Rutherford and another providing two-way service on West Dr and Tomken. There is no need for just ridiculous loops.

Warning: My comments make more sense if you read the article (I originally posted these thoughts on another forum - CPTDB - so I'm copying and pasting).

Here are all the things I see to be wrong with the idea proposed in the paper:

1) Running LRT in a creek prone to flooding is an environmental nightmare waiting to happen. Under the new environmental assessment it's very hard to get a project rejected, but this could be the magic formula.
2) Downtown Brampton at Main & Queen is where two legs of the Places to Grow Act urban growth centre meet. It is the logical meeting point of two lines that will support the growth objectives of the act. There is no good rationale to move the meeting point away from this node.
3) In order to add service beyond downtown Brampton you will need to add capacity through the choke-point regardless. Moving the GO station will not solve the problem.
4) This will reduce the efficiency of the Hurontario route as a whole, as the long term plan is to continue northward to the small growth centres planned for the Snelgrove and Main/Bovaird areas.
5) There still must be a terminal in downtown Brampton, as moving the Queen Street line out of downtown Brampton would remove it form the Growth Centre it is designed to serve. This would be counterproductive to the Act.

I think it's a good thing for the city to try and seize an opportunity when it presents itself, but this is not a good idea from a planning perspective. The hospital site (and everything along that corridor) could be adequately served by the Queen Street Acceleride line and I think that bringing the Hurontario line there too will harm the integrity of the future transit network and land-use planning in the city.

In other news, Brampton Transit has revised their policy on the issue I raised a few weeks ago. They are back in my good books again.

I think you are bang on correct on all counts. I totally agree that the councillors should be congratulated on raising the possibility (shows that transit initiatives are "front of mind") but you hope that the planners quickly point out why this particular idea is not so good.

I also agree with everything that RedRocket said.

I'm really encouraged that they considered this plan, as it is a good example of thinking outside the box (which we don't see enough of around here) without being art-student wacky.

I have no doubt that a relocated station onto the PMH lands would be hugely successful. There's enough land for some decent development and it's still local enough for local transit connections.

But it IS too far away from Downtown Brampton and too far from the Hurontario-Main corridor and would undoubtedly lead in the long term to an development migrating eastward. It is important for Brampton to continue working towards the rejuvenation of their downtown, and the GO station is an important part of that.

Routes 10 and 40 are just awful routes, probably the worst routing in the GTA, what are they thinking. I am surprised they have plans to fix them after this time.

Just have one route provide two-way service on Rutherford and another providing two-way service on West Dr and Tomken. There is no need for just ridiculous loops.
Those are nothing compared to MOST DRT routes in Ajax and Pickering, let alone the ridiculous evening/Sunday routes in the 18x/28x series. I refer to them as the "scenic tour" routes because they literally go all over the map in a pointless attempt to replace three or four regular routes with a single route.

I'm sure that BT has its issues, but I'd love it if DRT's route structure was anywhere near what Brampton has.

I thought I'd mention this here:
According to a member on the CPTDB, the Brampton Guardian had an article on Acceleride, and among the things mentioned was the new name Züm.

My guess is that ü will turn into a smiley face in a logo. I really, really, hope this will not pass. But then again we have "Metrolinx" which stinx like a cheap 80s family sitcom.

Ick, gag, barf.

I thought I'd mention this here:
According to a member on the CPTDB, the Brampton Guardian had an article on Acceleride, and among the things mentioned was the new name Züm.

Yes, let's keep AcceleRide! And as for "Queen Line", I think that sounds like something from the 50s. If you take the B from Brampton and the Y from York (the end points of the service), you get BY-line, which I think has more of a ring

My guess is that ü will turn into a smiley face in a logo. I really, really, hope this will not pass. But then again we have "Metrolinx" which stinx like a cheap 80s family sitcom.

Ick, gag, barf.
No, I think Metrolinx sounds okay. The ü smiley face thing is actually kind of inevitable now that you mention it.

Btw, like the B-Y line idea. Why don't they use colours though? "The Blue Line's" not bad. Hopefully it'll be linking up to a Hurontario Subway though.

It's Züm.

No smiley face, though.

Attachments

• Zum.JPG
    Zum.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 322

Back