News   Apr 25, 2024
 137     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 399     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Brampton Transit/Zum

The 501 does not use the 407....the 501A does.....but even if the 501 did use 407 it is not clear to me how that would be the useful route from VMC to York U....would you not just go down Jane?

I am most interested in the discussion about the 505 being re-routed down Airport...was their any indication which way they are leaning on the southern terminus of that route?

501 has been using Jane-407-Keele to get from VMC to York U for years now... BT must think the time savings/reliability is worth the 407 toll they're paying, even for such a short leg. Maybe it has to do with subway construction at Pioneer Village, or the left turn from Jane to Steeles (even Viva Orange avoids it when heading to York U, using Shoreham and Ian MacDonald to access campus instead).

BT staff there told me they didn't have a preferred option for 505, but Metrolinx wants to see it go to Pearson... The issue is that there's not enough budget to do it, so the funds have to be scavenged from somewhere else.

BT staff there told me they didn't have a preferred option for 505, but Metrolinx wants to see it go to Pearson... The issue is that there's not enough budget to do it, so the funds have to be scavenged from somewhere else.

A different planner at another meeting told me that there was a preference for getting it to the airport, but the Viscount terminus would be more likely because going to Terminal 1 would require another bus because of the convoluted route to get there.

I think the 505 should go south on Airport to Hull....take Hull into the International Centre grounds.....have a Zum stop at the south end of the tunnel that leads to the GO station...then proceed to the controlled T intersection that the International Centre has with Airport....turn left back onto Airport Road and proceed to Viscount.....oferring equal service to both terminals.

They can find some money by replacing the 115 with this service......a 505 Zum to the airport would connect along the way with 511/511A and 501/501A and a few other routes....it would give far more people reasonable access to transit to the airport than the current service does.

The idea of taking it back east along Steeles to Bramalea Station is bizarre.....the stretch of Steeles between Airport and Bramalea Station has a population approximating zero....but would have the 11, the 511/511A and the 505 serving it.

The 505 should terminate wherever the Crosstown LRT does (either at Pearson or Renforth Gateway). Brampton needs more one-seat rides to the nearest rapid transit service.

501 has been using Jane-407-Keele to get from VMC to York U for years now... BT must think the time savings/reliability is worth the 407 toll they're paying, even for such a short leg. Maybe it has to do with subway construction at Pioneer Village, or the left turn from Jane to Steeles (even Viva Orange avoids it when heading to York U, using Shoreham and Ian MacDonald to access campus instead).

I went to the open house today. The deal with the 501/501A is that Brampton Transit doesn't want to annoy the 3,000 riders that go to and from York University - a large segment of its ridership. Option 1 (501 and 501A serving the ring road) has the most costs to operate (combination of distance and 407 tolls), but it's the golden goose. The 501 via Highway 7 gets to pick up some of the riders that would otherwise take YRT/Viva. It's ridiculous that the fare structure for trips to York U on the subway extension haven't been figured out yet.

York U isn't as concerned about getting all the buses off campus as it was, but it still wants to reclaim York Commons. That's why BT plans to use the ring road, along with with some YRT and TTC routes. That guarantees the one-seat ride, as well as no additional fares.

Not on the boards are the schedule changes. Expect more scheduled buses on 501, 502, and elsewhere in the fall.
I am probably wrong about this, but didn't the Government of Ontario reserved the right to operate transit on the 407 free of tolls when they sold it to the private company?

I am probably wrong about this, but didn't the Government of Ontario reserved the right to operate transit on the 407 free of tolls when they sold it to the private company?

Considering how GO, YRT and Brampton Transit have all made comments over the years about how they've had to incur increased operating costs for running on the 407, it certainly doesn't sound like it did.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Considering how GO, YRT and Brampton Transit have all made comments over the years about how they've had to incur increased operating costs for running on the 407, it certainly doesn't sound like it did.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
You're probably right, but it certainly would of made sense for the government to do that.

As I posted on the TYSSE thread, Brampton Transit just announced that they're going to run 501/501A as is, with minor adjustments around VMC Station. I figure that they wanted to serve their customers the best they could, without dual terminal points, and without subjecting their customers to a potential double fare to board the subway to the campus:

Hey, riders. Remember our Public Information Centres we held in March? Thanks for all your feedback – we have an update to share with you on the 501/501A Züm Queen!

When the Spadina Subway opens later this year, we’ll continue to operate 501/501A Züm Queen as it is today. There *will* be some minor routing changes on the 501 around the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre. However – the 501 and 501A will continue service York University. There will also be a number of extra trips added during the peak periods starting in September.

We hope you’re as excited about this news as we are!

501 Zum will probably interface with all four area stations: VMC, Highway 407, Pioneer Village and York University.

That routing would take a rather long time, and I'm not sure how much point it would have. Compared to just stopping at VMC then continuing on Hwy 7 to Keele and heading south to York U, how many passengers coming from Brampton need to access 407 or Pioneer Village? The handful that might can always take the subway. I think it'll only connect to VMC and York U.

Since the announcement only says there'll be changes to the 501 near VMC, I presume the 501A will stay the same and exit the 407 at Keele, proceeding to York U only, being an express service.

501 will use the Vivastation at VMC and then head straight to York U without stopping. 501A will only stop at York U. There is not enough people connecting between 407 GO buses and Zum to justify looping at 407 Station. This was confirmed during the public consultation in March.

In case anyone wants to comment on this. I assume a story will be posted but it doesn't look like it's live yet.

(EDIT: by way of background, here's the original story being referenced by "media". While transit could mean more than just Brampton Transit (IE GO RER construction/GO Service/407 Bypass, HSR), I thought this was generally the most relevant thread)
2r6ZFgB

Last edited:

Back