News   Apr 24, 2024
 709     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 938     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 561     0 

Brampton Transit/Zum

Acceleride will eventually be Viva II type bus medians that could easily support LRT. I think the idea with bus medians is that they can be built incrementally and allow bus routes to trunk and branch, then once enough is built and ridership patterns solidify, tracks could then be installed.

If the Mississauga LRT goes ahead, I'm sure it will go to downtown Brampton.

does the LRT plan run down to hit the port credit GO station? it would be great if someday the line ran the length between port credit and the downtown GO stations.

does anyone have a link to the mississauga LRT plan handy?

I don't believe there is a plan right now; just a statement in the rapid transit plan that says "higher order transit on Hurontario".

Secondly, It would only make sense for it to reach Port Credit GO, unless the QEW crossing is a problem.

i just happened to see them talk about this very LRT line, down hurontario from brampton to port credit on the CBC website. how timely...

Brampton's just announced their September service changes, and for the most part, it's fairly good. Not great, but getting better.

New:
21 HEART LAKE
• Route created to provide service along Conestoga Dr. and to the community along Southlake Blvd. (new subdivision)
• Weekday peak service only (bah!)

31 MCVEAN
• Route created to provide service along Goreway Rd. and McVean Dr. (new subdivisions)
• Weekday peak service only (bah!)

51 STEELES WEST
• Route created to replace former Route 11 service west of Shoppers World
• Extended into Meadowvale Business area in Mississauga.
• Weekday AM and PM peak frequency every 20 minutes (Decrease from old Route 11 schedule, but ridership is low on this part of the route)
• Fully Accessible Route

Changes:
1 QUEEN
• Schedule Adjusted
• Additional early morning and late evening trips added during weekdays
• Saturday frequency increased to every 15 minutes

2 MAIN
• Schedule Adjusted
• Additional late evening trips added during weekdays

4 CHINGUACOUSY
• Schedule Adjusted
• Later evening trips added on Saturday and Sunday

5 BOVAIRD
• Schedule Adjusted
• Weekday AM and PM peak frequency increased to every 15 minutes
• Sunday frequency increased to every 30 minutes

7/7A KENNEDY
• Schedule Adjusted

9A VODDEN - Renumbered to Route 9 Vodden

9B WILLIAMS
• Route and Schedule Adjusted
• Renumbered to Route 29 Williams
• Route realigned to James Potter Rd. in the west end (extension to new subdivision)

11/11A STEELES
• Route split into: Route 11 Steeles (east of Shoppers World), and Route 51 Steeles West (west of Shoppers World).
• Route 11A will no longer exist
• Additional late evening trips added during weekdays
• Weekday peak frequency increased to every 6 minutes and weekday mid-day frequency increased to every 15 minutes
• Also see new Route 51

14 TORBRAM
• Schedule Adjusted
• Southbound trips will arrive at Westwood Mall as Route 14 and depart as Route 30 Northbound (interlining)

15 BRAMALEA
• Route extended further north to Father Tobin Rd.

17 HOWDEN - Fully Accessible Route

18/18A DIXIE

19 FERNFOREST - Fully Accessible Route

22 SPRINGDALE
• Route realigned on the east and west ends
• Fully Accessible Route

23 SANDALWOOD
• Route extended east to McVean Dr.
• Evening trips added on Saturday

24 VAN KIRK
• Schedule Adjusted
• Additional evening trip on weekdays

26 FLETCHERS MEADOW
• Route realigned east of Hurontario St. to operate direct to and from Heart Lake Terminal

30 AIRPORT RD
• Route will not longer detour in North end
• Southbound trips will arrive at Westwood Mall as Route 30 and depart
as Route 14 Northbound (interlining)

50 GORE ROAD
• Route realigned from Tyler Rd. and Thorndale Rd.
• Weekday frequency increased to every 30 minutes

53 KINGKNOLL
• Route realigned through Sheridan College

No mention of route 77. This is largely due to YRT, a laggard for service improvments, and does have overcrowding.

Here's the current map for reference:
http://www.brampton.ca/transit/maps/TransitMap_M-F.pdf

And these are the new schedules: http://www.brampton.ca/transit/pending-schedules.taf

Mississauga is doing a feasibility study for light rail (or another form of higher order transit) along Hurontario which would eventually go right up to Brampton.

Mississauga study was to the 407 only and BT was not happy with this.

Also, 407 was to be a hub for GO 407 service and again BT was not happy with this.

MoveOntario2020 states LRT will be on Hurontario and it will go to Queen St in Brampton which I have call for years and support.

The way it is now, BRT is being push in Mississauga by Mississauga staff and if you look at a 15-30 time frame, LRT is need. Better do it from day one as it will attract more riders in the first place and faster. TTC is doing this for their waterfront new transit line considering there will be no real population for 10-20 years to support the LRT in the first place.

At the GTTA meeting in July, Peel transit plan call for the LRT to go up to the Mayfield area and I again support this as this is the end of phase 1 and it has a large development area to service up there. Phase 2 is to Caledon and Phase 3 to Orangeville.

Going through the downtown area of Brampton will mean the LRT will have to either run in mix traffic or go underground. There is no place to turn the LRT at Queen. Don't support a ROW in this area as it will do more harm than good.

YRT and BT are out pasting MT and that is sad considering where MT should be today. MT should have 30% more service on the road now, but I must check my purse to see if I can find that 1 cent to help transit folks out of city hall.

Should be interesting to see LRT trains on that narrow stretch of Hurontario (Main St) in downtown Brampton. I wonder where they will turn?? Doesnt seem like a whole lotta room in the centre of B-Town's so-called downtown along that stretch of road.

BTW - I would love to see an LRT along Brampton's Queen Street linking downtown with the Bramalea City Centre in the east. Hopefully this would spur re-development of the car dealerships and other street un-friendly retail along that stretch. It is, after all, Brampton's most important corridor (one could easily argue).

Should be interesting to see LRT trains on that narrow stretch of Hurontario (Main St) in downtown Brampton. I wonder where they will turn?? Doesnt seem like a whole lotta room in the centre of B-Town's so-called downtown along that stretch of road.

BTW - I would love to see an LRT along Brampton's Queen Street linking downtown with the Bramalea City Centre in the east. Hopefully this would spur re-development of the car dealerships and other street un-friendly retail along that stretch. It is, after all, Brampton's most important corridor (one could easily argue).

Likely all future LRT lines will use double ended trams with crossovers at the end of the line, but you're right, there's no room for a ROW due to the narrow streets, so light rail trains crossing over in the middle of mixed traffic will be interesting.

As for Queen, it's certainly Brampton's main drag, and I hope that it gets redeveloped and gets the transit that it needs. Does anyone know if Acceleride is going to use a centre ROW or curb-side ROW? That information isn't clear to me, and I seriously doubt that curb-side transit lanes (which might have to be shared with turning traffit) will bring the speed improvements that we're hoping for.

As for Queen, it's certainly Brampton's main drag, and I hope that it gets redeveloped and gets the transit that it needs. Does anyone know if Acceleride is going to use a centre ROW or curb-side ROW? That information isn't clear to me, and I seriously doubt that curb-side transit lanes (which might have to be shared with turning traffic) will bring the speed improvements that we're hoping for.

Queen Street between BCC and McLaughlin is all slated for intensification. There has been a few noises (such as a proposal to build a commercial/residental midrise on an old Toyota dealership), but nothing more than that yet.

Acceleride Phase I will be similar to VIVA I - though unlike VIVA, Acceleride will have bus queue-jump lanes (many already built), as well as 'signal priority' and limited stops. I think later it will be where VIVA is going, with centre reservations, and provision for LRT.

The Hurontario corridor should definitely be LRT in my opinion. BRT just won't cut it. And it should go all the way from Port Credit to downtown Brampton.

Here is correct link to the new map (SeanTrans just links to the old one)
http://www.brampton.ca/transit/newmaps/weekday.pdf

It looks like Steeles is becoming another ridiculously busy industrial route like Dixie and Eglinton. It is overcrowded even on the weekends, in my experience.

I don't like new loop for the 51. It is too big and does not go far enough to serve the office buildings. Also it doesn't connect with all of the MT routes there, so what's the point?

Most of BT's loops are just poorly designed, imo.

The links for the new maps weren't up yesterday, so I just posted the old one to follow along.

The 51 makes a useful connection to several MT buses (82, 61, 42), but it should loop around at Royal Bank like the others.

BT's old loops were worse, much worse. The old Route 5 loop in the far west end was by far the stupidest before it went to Mount Pleasant GO. I remember the crazy old 1B loop that managed to serve Sheridan College, King Knoll, Moffat in one loop (now parcelled as parts of 4, 52, 53) and enter the old Shoppers World terminal twice.

Most of the loops now (except the 11, which was to be 'fixed' but too many complaints) are at least minor secondary routes - it's now quite easy to tell the difference between a trunk route (1, 2, 5, 7, 11, 14, 15, 18, 30, 77) versus a local collector route (6, 8, 10, 13, 16, 20, 21, 22, 25, 26) though there are still a few that have characteristics of both (3, 4, 9, 23, 29, 50). Before it was a big mess.

Brampton gets $95M for rapid bus service
Jan 08, 2008 12:43 PM
Tess Kalinowski
Transportation Reporter

In a move being touted as a transit revolution for Brampton, federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty delivered today on Ottawa's promise to invest $95 million in the city's planned AcceleRide rapid transit bus service.

The first phase of the AcceleRide plan is expected to put express bus routes on Queen and Main streets and Steeles Ave. by 2013.

The federal funding represents the kind of partnership municipalities need with senior governments if they want to lessen their dependency on cars, said Brampton Mayor Susan Fennell. Property taxes alone won't raise the revenue required to build mass transit on the huge scale needed, she said.

"We will not grow without sufficient transit planning — that is the role transit now plays in growing a modern and sustainable city," Fennell told reporters at a Brampton bus garage.

She and Flaherty stepped off one of Brampton's newer city buses in the kind of photo opportunity that has become familiar since Prime Minister Stephen Harper joined Premier Dalton McGuinty last March in a Downsview airplane hangar to announce about $1.3 billion worth of transit improvements for the Greater Toronto Area, including the AcceleRide funding.

The first phase of the bus rapid transit project will add about 60 new buses to Brampton's existing fleet of about 200, said transit director Suzanne Bass.

Similar to York Region's VIVA service, AcceleRide vehicles will be sleeker than the standard city bus fleet, they'll offer more frequent service — every seven minutes rather than every 10 — and have more comfortable seats, fewer stops and signal priority that allows them to navigate swiftly through mixed traffic.

Plans call for AcceleRide buses to operate about 18 hours a day, seven days a week.

Brampton Transit carried 11 million riders last year, about 9 per cent more than the previous year, and three times the national average for transit growth. The city's population of about 450,000 is expected to grow to about 700,000 by 2031.

The first phase of the AcceleRide plan is expected to put express bus routes on Queen and Main streets and Steeles Ave. by 2013.

First phase is still scheduled to be implemented by 2010 (Queen and Main South/Hurontario), with the upgraded "Viva-II" type service on all corridors to finish by 2021 - it's a 13-year plan.

The Star should check its facts.

Back