News   Apr 18, 2024
 305     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Boutique programming and inequality in the TDSB

I wouldn't called it racial segregation. The root and reality is economic segregation. Its just so happens there are certain minority groups who tend to be more prevalent in these area due to immigration and an unfortunate cyclic culture. People I hear say they try to avoid schools zones with kids from the "poor" areas. Many rich people dont want their kids around, lower income kids of the same race. Different family upbringings, distractions from home and bad learned behaviors from these environments are the real problems why people avoid these schools.
The author of the article mentioned racial segregation, though economic segregation makes more sense.

The author of the article mentioned racial segregation, though economic segregation makes more sense.

This is true. People like to play on the race issue over economic because discussion on the latter is still a "no-no." That said, I've noticed non-white families - particularly Chinese (and to an extent, Indian) Canadians, are more likely to choose private school over boutique programs at public schools. But that could just be my circle.

This is true. People like to play on the race issue over economic because discussion on the latter is still a "no-no." That said, I've noticed non-white families - particularly Chinese (and to an extent, Indian) Canadians, are more likely to choose private school over boutique programs at public schools. But that could just be my circle.

Its all about wealth. Many "groups" are choosing private education because they have the means. Its what excessively rich Caucasians Canadians did in the past generation, and now similar class groups of Asian, Middle Eastern,..... Canadian groups are now seen more prevalent doing in this generation.

Race plays the smallest factor and its just happens there are some races with greater numbers of people in the wealthy groups and that has much to do with the last few decades of emerging foreign markets and local real estate growth spilling into the City. I know many Chinese Torontonians that could never even dream of private schooling let alone afford a home in Toronto.

The discussion needs to change from race to economics so we can deal with the real problems. Targeting race is just creating a problem, and distracts from find real solutions to issues caused by growing inequality

Last edited:
Its all about wealth. Many "groups" are choosing private education because they have the means. Its what excessively rich Caucasians Canadians did in the past generation, and now similar class groups of Asian, Middle Eastern,..... Canadian groups are now seen more prevalent doing in this generation.

Race plays the smallest factor and its just happens there are some races with greater numbers of people in the wealthy groups and that has much to do with the last few decades of emerging foreign markets and local real estate growth spilling into the City. I know many Chinese Torontonians that could never even dream of private schooling let alone afford a home in Toronto.

The discussion needs to change from race to economics so we can deal with the real problems. Targeting race is just creating a problem, and distracts from find real solutions to issues caused by growing inequality

EXACTLY. However, the media and so-called "activist groups" don't think that way. They ALWAYS put race as the #1 factor. It irks me, personally - I have brought up economics as the primary factor to several people and they always argue otherwise, and no matter how rational I try to be, they will always tell me I'm wrong.

From Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/77lzcp/tdsb_considering_removing_specialized_programs_to/

nfatmyniizsz.jpg

That's dumb. One should be trying to encourage access to these programs based on merit - not eliminating them as a way to ensure equity of the lowest common denominator.

AoD

In principle I agree with the idea of merit, but the challenge is that "merit" is often measured in a way that's going to select against the students who need the most help. When these programs have some kind of entrance requirement (auditions, entrance exams, portfolios, etc) it's the better-resourced students who have a better shot at being accepted. If it's an athletics program it'll be the students who can afford to play in a league. If it's an arts program it'll be the students who can afford to take lessons. So the students who are already ahead of the curve end up getting access to the expensive programming, while the students who haven't had the same chances to develop their "merit" get shut out

In principle I agree with the idea of merit, but the challenge is that "merit" is often measured in a way that's going to select against the students who need the most help. When these programs have some kind of entrance requirement (auditions, entrance exams, portfolios, etc) it's the better-resourced students who have a better shot at being accepted. If it's an athletics program it'll be the students who can afford to play in a league. If it's an arts program it'll be the students who can afford to take lessons. So the students who are already ahead of the curve end up getting access to the expensive programming, while the students who haven't had the same chances to develop their "merit" get shut out

There are ways around that sort of thing of course - quota by economic circumstance, neighbourhood and/or ethnoracial status. The key here is excellence - and encouraging the tall poppy syndrome is a race to the bottom. In any case, the TDSB seems to be walking back on it:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...in-push-for-equity-in-access-to-programs.html

AoD

Yup, the solution is to better understand what those underachieving schools need (and work towards new ways of teaching/offering compatible afterschool activities), not cut down promising sprouts in an aim to make everything """""equal""""".

Regardless, I wouldn't trust the word of the TRSB these days, especially with all the wacky social equality stuff they've been doing these days. I mean phasing out the term "chief"- really?

Back