News   Apr 23, 2024
 564     1 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 396     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

Blue Jays

I don't know about that. Athletes get generous pension plans too. It's not like the money stops when they retire.

Pensions are based on years of service (generally a minimum of 10 years of playing time for maximum pension earnings) and age restrictions. Some league pensions kick in as late as age 62.

The majority of athletes in all sports make closer to the lower half of the pay scale compared to what the top earners pull in. Not to mention the average service time for most athletes across all sports typically lasts far less than 10 years. You're in the minority if you manage to stay in a given league for 10 years.

Yes, many, many athletes live good lives but for a lot of guys earning the league minimum, playing on the fringes of a professional roster and/or toiling away in the minors, your earnings simply won't amount to much when you're pulling in 30-35% of your gross paycheque.

An entry-level NHL salary is $925K/year. That's the least you can make in the most cash-starved of the major sports leagues. Yes, many fizzle out in the minors and that's part of the risk of following that career path.

An entry-level NHL salary is $925K/year. That's the least you can make in the most cash-starved of the major sports leagues. Yes, many fizzle out in the minors and that's part of the risk of following that career path.

That's an entry level contract for elite level prospects, typically 1st round picks. The organization won't pay you that type of money unless they're confident you will develop into a full-time NHL player. The minimum NHL salary was $575,000 in 2015-16. A player typically takes home 30-35% of that. Still a good salary but how many years will you stay in the league making the bare minimum?

Minimum salaries across all 4 leagues is roughly ~$500 grand. So yeah, many players make massive salaries but the fringe players, of which the majority of pro organizations rely on to fill roster spots on minor league teams or practice squads, are the ones without career security. There are a lot more athletes than we tend to believe who are on the outside looking in is the point I'm trying to make.

FiveThirtyEight.com is posting statistics for each MLB team. Here is their analysis for the Jays: http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-mlb-predictions/blue-jays/
I don't think the Jays will make the playoffs this year without really improving their pitching. Their bullpen is terrible and their starting pitching could be better.

Speaking of pitching; Marcus Stroman needs to grow up and stop acting like a bratty child when things don't go his way. He gets far too riled up over every play that doesn't work in his favour. I'm glad Gregg Zaun called him out on his behaviour last night. I almost want Stroman to fail because he is such a cocky character. The kid has way too much swagger and needs to be brought back down to earth.

Man, Russell Martin sucks. Has he ever gone a game without striking out at least once? Anyone else wish we had Dioner Navarro still, but as our primary catcher?

Yes - because I'm not a knee-jerk reactionary fan
That's not a knee-jerk reaction. Russell Martin, aside from hitting a decent amount of home runs last year, was also striking out and batting terribly the entire season. To be fair, he started his career off well and batted well a few years ago (in terms of average).

His performance is about far more than his batting ability. We need defence as well as offence. You want to make changes? Send Dickey packing until the weather warms up. Shake up the bull pen. That's where we're hurting. (I'm also not a fan of Gibbons, but he's not likely to be changed out any time soon).

His performance is about far more than his batting ability. We need defence as well as offence. You want to make changes? Send Dickey packing until the weather warms up. Shake up the bull pen. That's where we're hurting. (I'm also not a fan of Gibbons, but he's not likely to be changed out any time soon).

Send Dickey packing for good. The Jays can't afford a seasonal pitcher. I can't see him improving when the weather warms up. I wonder what his excuses will be in July?

Are you talking about the same Dickey who went 8-1 after the All Star Break last year (July) after a 3-10 start?

Back