News   Mar 28, 2024
 690     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 469     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 794     0 

Blue Jays

Sad to see Revere go, but we need a guy like Storen in the bullpen. I think this was a good trade.
Who replaces Revere; Pompey; Saunders? Tough to give up a well over .300 hitter, speedy runner and great outfielder (his catch in Game 6 against the Royals was one of the best I've ever seen). Unfortunately, he couldn't hit a medicine ball in the playoffs, though.

How good is Storen? Revere also had 2 years left in his contract, whereas Storen will be a free agent after this coming season.

Who replaces Revere; Pompey; Saunders? Tough to give up a well over .300 hitter, speedy runner and great outfielder (his catch in Game 6 against the Royals was one of the best I've ever seen). Unfortunately, he couldn't hit a medicine ball in the playoffs, though.

"well over"? He hit 306 in 2015 split between the National League and the American League and is a career 295 hitter.

How good is Storen? Revere also had 2 years left in his contract, whereas Storen will be a free agent after this coming season.

Storen is very good. He is 21-13 with 95 saves and a 3.02 ERA in six major league seasons, all with the Nationals. He had a 1.12 ERA in 65 games in 2014.

He is a proven closer that allows the Jays to stretch out Aaron Sanchez from his 8th inning set up role into what he was projected to be last year..ie. a starter. In one move they did 3 things (1. cleared a backlog of outfielders and his spot will be filled by some combo of Saunders (who is reportedly very healthy now) and Pompey. {note. if Saunders never gets injured Revere is probably never a Jay} 2. strengthened the bullpen and 3. strengthened the starting rotation options)....a move that any gm would/should make.

Don't forget it also opens the possibility of Osuna moving into a starting role.

You're the only person I know who's saying Sanchez; everyone else is saying Osuna. Could just be the people I hang out with. Also, Osuna is the current closer so now there's a new guy taking his role ... wouldn't it be more likely that he would be switched?

You're the only person I know who's saying Sanchez; everyone else is saying Osuna. Could just be the people I hang out with. Also, Osuna is the current closer so now there's a new guy taking his role ... wouldn't it be more likely that he would be switched?
Like I said...could be either....but a hint may be that last season they started the year with Sanchez starting and Osuna in the pen (not as a closer)....I get the sense that the people within the scouting/coaching staff believe Sanchez is closer to being starter ready than Osuna.

Also, with Osuna in the pen as the 8th inning guy....if Storen stumbles or gets injured, you have a guy who has closed in an "arm ready" status to step in.

Replace Revere with either Pompey or Saunders. I'd think i would stick Saunders in and Pompey would be a good backup. Revere has the speed, but he couldn't get on base when we needed him on base the most. (in the playoffs)

RevereTrash102315.gif

"well over"? He hit 306 in 2015 split between the National League and the American League and is a career 295 hitter.

Storen is very good. He is 21-13 with 95 saves and a 3.02 ERA in six major league seasons, all with the Nationals. He had a 1.12 ERA in 65 games in 2014.

He is a proven closer that allows the Jays to stretch out Aaron Sanchez from his 8th inning set up role into what he was projected to be last year..ie. a starter. In one move they did 3 things (1. cleared a backlog of outfielders and his spot will be filled by some combo of Saunders (who is reportedly very healthy now) and Pompey. {note. if Saunders never gets injured Revere is probably never a Jay} 2. strengthened the bullpen and 3. strengthened the starting rotation options)....a move that any gm would/should make.
Sorry, I could have sworn he hit around 320. Still, a 300 hitter is great. I'll really lose it if we trade Colabello. That guy is our most clutch hitter.

Sorry, I could have sworn he hit around 320. Still, a 300 hitter is great. I'll really lose it if we trade Colabello. That guy is our most clutch hitter.
during his stint with Jays he hit 316....overall for the season he was just over 300.

Colabello is a good bench piece....but the Jays season will hardly be determined by whether or not they keep or lose him. In fact, there may be a negative co-relation between the number of at bats he gets and how well the season is going for the Jays....it likely means that key/core guys are either hurt a lot or are having horrible seasons.

Batting average is a pretty limited statistic in determining player value. Revere had a wRC+ (weighted runs created) of 102 with the Jays in 2015 which is an average total. Donaldson, Bautista and Encarnacion all averaged around 150 which puts them in elite territory. Essentially, the Jays aren't screwed by giving up Revere, far from it.

As for Colabello being our most clutch hitter, besides being unable to actually quantify "clutch" hitting, based on what happened last year wouldn't Jose be considered our most "clutch" hitter? :p

Osuna probably can't handle starter's innings this year. If he can throw 100 innings of high leverage relief and then start in 2017, that would be amazing (assuming Sanchez can handle starting this year) b/c your dream scenario is Stroman/Sanchez/Osuna as your 1/2/3 starters for years afterward.

Back