News   Mar 18, 2024
 797     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.6K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 780     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

I really hope that article is wrong and that Eataly is coming to the Manulife centre. The drawings that we have seen clearly show a very large multilevel store going in that would be perfect for Eataly. I'm sure a lot of the reason that the Manulife centre was renovating was to accommodate Eataly.

There is no doubt that Eataly is heading for Manulife, but as the article mentions, another tenant is trying to stop it.

What is it with that mall and litigious merchants? Wasn't Ashley's threatening to sue to stop this redevelopment which would change their frontage?

There is no doubt that Eataly is heading for Manulife, but as the article mentions, another tenant is trying to stop it.

What is it with that mall and litigious merchants? Wasn't Ashley's threatening to sue to stop this redevelopment which would change their frontage?

I think they are the ones that took it to the OMB. And I think that hearing should have already happened. It would be good to know what happened with that since it is the only thing preventing construction.

Without going through 163 pages on this thread, a couple people have mentioned plans/renderings for such a build-out—do those indeed exist? We've now had both Ashley's and BSD mentioned as possibly being physically affected, which makes me think only one of those two things is correct.

As an office tenant who was once asked to vacate our premises at the Eaton Centre (and agreed after being paid about a year's rent), I fully understand why Eatertainment would want to exercise its rights under its lease. If they indeed have some kind of exclusive arrangement, that's too bad for the landlord, who shouldn't have offered it in the first place. I suspect the situation can still be resolved but with a very large cheque.

The first hearing on the Manulife Centre OMB case was on January 12 of this year. There was a continuation on February 08. No decision has been released. The thread for the Manulife Centre addition (which you'll see, @ADRM, affects the entire base), is here.

As an office tenant who was once asked to vacate our premises at the Eaton Centre (and agreed after being paid about a year's rent), I fully understand why Eatertainment would want to exercise its rights under its lease. If they indeed have some kind of exclusive arrangement, that's too bad for the landlord, who shouldn't have offered it in the first place. I suspect the situation can still be resolved but with a very large cheque.

Yep. This is how this sort of negotiation often works out. The Bloor Street Diner must have obtained certain rights in its lease, and not being fools, will not just surrender them to a competitor without compensation.

Word around the block is everything North of Bloor, between Yonge & Bloor to Yorkville Avenue is now being planned as one entity. The city is apparently behind the push, with an international design competition coming along with it. There's a strong desire to make it feel more like a neighbourhood - along the lines of the distillery or yorkville proper. Foster, BIG, and Grimshaw are said to be involved.

Word around the block is everything North of Bloor, between Yonge & Bloor to Yorkville Avenue is now being planned as one entity. The city is apparently behind the push, with an international design competition coming along with it. There's a strong desire to make it feel more like a neighbourhood - along the lines of the distillery or yorkville proper. Foster, BIG, and Grimshaw are said to be involved.

This doesn't make sense.

Planning a neighbourhood doesn't make any sense? It's in the best interest of both the developers and the city. I think it was KWT that asked the developers to get together after the majority of the two blocks were slated for redevelopment. The competition is being run by the developers. It's really no different than having a masterplan for the waterfront, except in this case buildings already exist.

BIG and Grimshaw on top of Foster? This is beyond exciting.

AoD

Last edited:

I'm guessing Bay is the western border for this? If so, it makes sense. KWT has been pushing for pedestrian walkways to the Yorkville library/fire station/town hall park. Nice to see some big names here.

Back