Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

Unfortunately the one thing they didn't get right is the curbs - spending all this effort and get tripped up by using concrete for it mars the quality of the final product.

AoD

Additionally, the cement squares surrounding the manholes and utility covers (see 3rd photo from someMidTowners last post on the previous page, for clarification) is unfortunate. It would have looked cleaner to have had the pavers cut and arranged around them as they were at QQ.

I wouldn't say its ruined. It's a whole lot better than before. Makes us look more like Montreal. Which is good. Could Be better but I just think we're all just being some negative Nancy's.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the one thing they didn't get right is the curbs - spending all this effort and get tripped up by using concrete for it mars the quality of the final product.

AoD

I see no problem with the curbs.

Could the curbs be upgraded at a later date? I'm still so happy to see this upgrading. It makes such a huge difference!

It's not a fatal flaw by any means - but it is distracting and speaks of a lesser quality product than say the Bloor section proper or work at the waterfront. Even Market Street handled it better.

AoD

I think the concrete curbs are useful in defining the street from the sidewalk. Works perfectly in my mind.

I think the concrete curbs are useful in defining the street from the sidewalk. Works perfectly in my mind.

Agreed. I actually like them better than the Bloor street curbs, as they do a better job at making the sidewalk and road feel like one surface, while still providing definition between the two. Give it some time to properly cure, and the concrete wont be so in your face anymore. It will darken a bit and a blend in more.

The concrete around all of the utility access panels though... I wish they had spent a little more time there.

Walked down Bloor this morning and it looks like most of the trees made it through the winter. Only saw one that seemed to be hurting. Good to see.

IMG_0075.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    454 KB · Views: 691
No idea, I thought that they had to fix the ceiling roof leak in the underground underneath the spot where the art was to be installed. I haven't seen anything happening there yet.

I do have a question, the new trees they planted are all doing quite well. I know one type is the Kentucky Coffee Tree, but I don't know what the other more plentiful tree is?

Back