Toronto Bloor & Dufferin | 122.35m | 37s | Hazelview | Turner Fleischer

I many have just missed this detail but is the field to the South of Croatia also part of this development? I'm talking about Brockton Stadium or whatever it's called. I once heard it was going to be built over. I think that would be as much or even more of a shame then a loss of heritage buildings. Structures can always be re-built but open space is generally gone forever in an urban context once it is developed.
I think you did miss it, because I remember reading somewhere that Brockton Stadium is not going anywhere.

Yeah, it's privately owned by Sporting Club of Toronto, a soccer academy to over 1000 soccer kids and a Toronto Soccer Association stadium, i sure hope not

The field south of Croatia is owned by the TDSB as well, but isn't being sold. It is currently leased to SC Toronto, but will become the field for the newly built high school on the north side of Croatia once it is built.

The field south of Croatia is owned by the TDSB as well, but isn't being sold. It is currently leased to SC Toronto, but will become the field for the newly built high school on the north side of Croatia once it is built.
When one of my kids went there years ago Sporting was in charge of maintenance and security of the facility, so i always thought they owned it, but leasing makes sense.

Probably not, though if their lease ends and it's used for the school, I'd hope it would become available to the community to use. It's always vaguely irksome (like, not really, but vaguely) that there's a perfectly good track oval so close to my apartment that's fenced off and locked. (It's understandable, since I'm sure people would let their dogs poop on the soccer pitch if it was open, but you'd hope something could be worked out.)

I've heard some rumours that Dufferin Mall, adjacent to the TDSB site, will also be torn down soon and redeveloped. Does anyone have any intel on this?

Seems far fetched. It's a very busy mall and has seen steady improvements over the last decade. If anything, I'd wager on the mall expanding and redeveloping its parking lots.

Seems far fetched. It's a very busy mall and has seen steady improvements over the last decade. If anything, I'd wager on the mall expanding and redeveloping its parking lots.
Why not both?

I wonder how City Planning would react to a high-rise development + ground level mall expansion on the parking lots.

I would absolutely love to see the Dufferin Mall redeveloped - in any form, really, whether incorporated as a podium element as WislaHD suggests or merely the parking lots as Towered suggests. It is a terrible use of space and could be reimagined into a great neighbourhood. Right now, the back alleys are chain-link fenced off from the community, and there would be many opportunities to integrate the mall with the small side streets that intersect the site.

Once the TDSB lands are successfully under development, it seems likely the mall would do something more with their property. Lots of potential there. The Dufferin Street frontage looks onto Dufferin Grove, which would be a great view.

You would think that the valuation of the TDSB lands would give impetus to redevelopment, but as has been mentioned the mall has seen continuous upgrades over the last few years and there are no signs of movement on the development front that I have heard of. I'm sure the revenue stream from the mall is attractive, it has certainly been busy and attracting new retailers.

I don't know much about the owner of the mall, H&R, and whether they would develop themselves or sell to develop. Perhaps industry insiders might have a perspective on that. I did some digging and when H&R acquired Primaris REIT, there was a fight over the assets with Kingsett Capital, and H&R got Dufferin Mall, "an aging structure near a Toronto subway line that is said to have huge development potential."

http://business.financialpost.com/n...reit-ends-with-4-6-billion-friendly-club-deal

In any event, I hope that the TDSB redevelopment sets the bar high, since it should spur movement on the Dufferin Mall front and provide a precedent. I also eagerly await the outcome of the Galleria Mall process, since it should be a similar development.

Why not both?

I wonder how City Planning would react to a high-rise development + ground level mall expansion on the parking lots.

It could happen but, adding residential high rises to the mix isn't necessarily a sound investment for a retail development that has become busier and busier.

I don't rule out the possibility of a Dufferin Mall redevelopment someday. However, substantial movement probably won't occur for at least another 10+ years. As mentioned in posts above, the D-Mall has been investing towards gradual upgrades in recent years. Additionally, the current model has also been well consistent in both functionality for local customer needs and shopping activity traffic.

Back