News   Apr 17, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Black Lives Matter Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Urban Dictionary: thug
As Tupac defined it, a thug is someone who is going through struggles, has gone through struggles, and continues to live day by day with nothing for them. That person is a thug. and the life they are living is the thug life. A thug is NOT a gangster. Look up gangsterand gangsta. Not even CLOSE, my friend.
Urban Dictionary: Thug Life
A word Evolved by the late Tupac Shakur. Commonly mistaken for a Criminal. Thug Life is the opposite of someone having all he needs to succeed. Thug life is when you have nothing, and succeed, when you have overcome all obstacles to reach your aim.

2Pac - Thug 4 Life Lyrics | MetroLyrics

altri:

Wikipedia: Thug, a common criminal, who treats others violently and roughly, often for hire
Merriam-Webster: Thug, a violent criminal
The Free Dictionary: Thug, a cutthroat or ruffian; a hoodlum

So even the definition of a thug is yet another black issue that this thread is unable to come to an agreement on.

NQ1anpVf_normal.jpg
Daniel Dale@ddale8
17 mins ago
Black Indianapolis man calls 911 to report his wife has been robbed. Police arrive at their home, shoot HIM: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2016/08/23/impd-officers-shoot-robbery-suspect/89193724/

I just thought I would highlight the best comments in this thread from an actual BLM member and new UT user BlackLivesMatterJeff. I thought he was a troll at first too, but now I think he is just ignorant.

"We’ll talk rationally when the police stops committing genocide on innocent young black men."

"The prison system is full of innocent young black men who were pretty much labelled “criminal” from their youth but I think we should replace them and put racists there instead. Racism should be made illegal and the offenders punished with jail time."

"Ever since Islam was founded over 1000 years ago it has been continuously oppressed by imperialistic white Christians even though their followers were peaceful and non-aggressive."

"Before the latter half of the 20th century Muslims NEVER tried to bother Christians nor invade Christian dominated countries and for that they were oppressed."

"Before like the 1950s and 1960s Muslims were peaceful and never did anything to Europeans but after centuries of oppression they decided to raise up against their oppressors. Boo hoo!"

"Here's a fact: more black men are killed by cops weekly than the so-called France terror attacks. Why does society not talk about that?"

"White people have an advantage that black people don't. Whites live in houses in the suburbs and blacks are in housing projects. Sorry but being in a crime ridden building infested with bed bugs doesn't cut it even if it is "government funding". The rich should be taxed at over 90 % and the income should be redistributed to disadvantaged minorities."

"Society is set up in such a way that is breeding poverty towards black people which breeds violence and hence the killing of black men by other black men. Nonetheless it's not the fault of the black men.It's society that makes them that way and therefore whenever a black person kills another black person, a rich white man should go to jail as well for making this happen. The black man may have literally pulled the trigger but the fault lays more with the white man since he made society like that."

"Well it's only fair to jail rich white men that have arranged society in such a matter that makes black men kill each other!"

"The same white Christians that invented slavery!"

"Nazis like Trump and Harper should therefore be excluded from the voting ballot including their fascist parties."

"And no I didn't say jail ALL white men! Like I said the Open Society Foundations helps us and funds us! But I say jail the rich privilege whites that are organizing this system and opposing Black Lives Matter!"

"I was born white but I rid myself of white privilege symbolically."

"LOL @ the majority of Americans killed by the police being white. Another racist BS "fact'."

"You are either with us or against us. You either support Black Lives Matter or you are a racist."

If Black Lives Matter really wants to be treated seriously they are going to have to stop saying stupid things. If white Christians invented slavery why were the Jews slaves to the Egyptians thousands of years before the birth of Christ? If Muslims were peaceful and non-agressive why did they kidnap and enslave Europeans and Africans? Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_pirates. (The concept of a source may have to explained to BlackLivesMatterJeff.) Not to mention what the Ottoman Empire did during and after World War 1.

Of course throughout history both Muslims and Christians have treated each other horribly.

I can admit that white privilege exists, but so what, black privilege exists, Canadian privilege exists, driving privileges exist, etc. It is not the be all and end all, in fact it is just used as an insult. The colour of ones skin doesn't not determine how life will be. I can also admit that some cops might kill a black person because they are scared of them. Cops kill plenty of white people too in fact more white people than black people were killed by police in the USA over the past two years. Here is the source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/21/police-kill-more-whites-than-blacks-but-minority-d/

Police are not committing genocide against black people. If BLM wants to be taken seriously they have to stop saying stupid stuff and stop lying. The majority of Canadians do not take you seriously and they won't until you change.

I can admit that white privilege exists, but so what, black privilege exists, Canadian privilege exists, driving privileges exist, etc. It is not the be all and end all, in fact it is just used as an insult. The colour of ones skin doesn't not determine how life will be. I can also admit that some cops might kill a black person because they are scared of them. Cops kill plenty of white people too in fact more white people than black people were killed by police in the USA over the past two years. Here is the source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/21/police-kill-more-whites-than-blacks-but-minority-d/

Police are not committing genocide against black people. If BLM wants to be taken seriously they have to stop saying stupid stuff and stop lying. The majority of Canadians do not take you seriously and they won't until you change.

There is the use of the phrase as a conversation ender, but I think taking that position by default is also problematical - race might not entirely determine life outcome, but you can bet that it can, through class and race (because those two are intertwined), load the dice against you.

As to the study - what I wanted to know isn't the number of individuals killed - but the number of individuals killed in circumstances that did not warrant the level of deadly force applied and how that compares by race. That's where the crux of the matter is.

AoD

As to the study - what I wanted to know isn't the number of individuals killed - but the number of individuals killed in circumstances that did not warrant the level of deadly force applied and how that compares by race. That's where the crux of the matter is.

AoD

That is fair, here are some statistics from 2015:

"As of 1 June, black Americans were more than twice as likely to be unarmed as white Americans when killed by police. At that point 32% of the 135 black people killed by police had been unarmed, compared with 15% of the 234 white people. This disparity has since shrunk, with 26% of the 248 black people and 18% of 490 white people being recorded as unarmed"

"Sunday’s incident was the 883rd fatal shooting by a law enforcement officer so far in 2015, according to the Guardian’s records. Another 47 people died after being shocked with an officer’s Taser, 33 died after being struck by a law enforcement officer’s vehicle, and 36 were killed in custody. Another received a deadly blow to the head during a fight with an officer."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/nov/16/the-counted-killed-by-police-1000

Unfortunately we will probably never know which cases warranted deadly force and which cases are being covered up.

As much as I don't want the police barred from Pride (and will likely abstain from attending any Pride events as long as they are), that article has a very distinctive "Toronto Sun" slant on it. Other news organizations are being much more neutral when describing the tone of the event. Are we really treating the Sun as a valid news source here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back