2.4K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 759     0 

Smart Centre developments

kettal

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
What is the best Smart!Centre in Toronto?

They must be judged on the following criteria:

- Architecture
- Landscaping
- Quality of parking lot
- Good deals on imported consumer products
- Complimenting the neighbourhood
- Additional features

The scores will be added up, and then we can present this prestigious award. I know the competition is tough, but there can be only one winner.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're talking about the company with the penguin mascot yes? I only know of one: at South Common (Burnhamthorpe & Erin Mills). It's not that special to look at though.

There's a Wal-Mart on the edge of the Waterloo Region town of St Jacob's (technically north Waterloo--they're pretty much across the road from each other). It shares the neighbourhood with a farmer's market and some outlet shops, and provides quite a culture clash between the Mennonite farming community and big box sprawl.

No China-mart though ...

The Wal-Mart is right on the edge of the City of Waterloo land, next to a industrial park, just up King Street from the other big box stores.

But I don't see how it's a culture clash ... it's been routine to see Mennonites taking the horse and buggy to the shopping malls and big grocery stores for decades.

The Smart Centre at Bathurst and Centre Streets in Thornhill is pretty good. It's their attempt at a "lifestyle centre", streetfront, parking at the back, small shops and you still have the Wal-Mart for the cheap stuff that you need.

The Smart Centre at Bathurst and Centre Streets in Thornhill is pretty good. It's their attempt at a "lifestyle centre", streetfront, parking at the back, small shops and you still have the Wal-Mart for the cheap stuff that you need.

Yeah. Vaughan council worked hard to reign them in on that in terms of making it pedestrian friendly and making the Wal-Mart look a bit more boutiquey. (It's the same crap inside, of course.)

Aside from the 7-foot penguins at the entrance it's pretty good, as far as smart centres go.

I don't like Laird one because it's so "faux" and because, despite the eclectic look, it's still a wide open big box with an intimidating parking lot to cross. You wouldn't walk from Best Buy to Home Depot, would you? Still, points for effort.

Last edited:
I too like the slowly developing Smart Centre @ Laird.

In addition to what is shown on pdf1 above (GolfTown, RBC, Winners under construction), the former Linens and Things is being renovated to a Sportcheck

I believe the Canadian Tire logo indicates a new store on property they own across the street and not the existing store.

gregv ... I think the Canadian Tire logo simply refers to the existing CTC store to the north (fronting Eglinton) ... stating other major tenants nearby is their way of luring new stores to their centre

gregv ... I think the Canadian Tire logo simply refers to the existing CTC store to the north (fronting Eglinton) ... stating other major tenants nearby is their way of luring new stores to their centre

Yes, that certainly could be true, the map of the vicinity is certainly not to scale, I just wonder what could be going in the property across Wicksteed then - the Smart Centre signage is on the cleared property.

Back