News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 407     0 

Bell Fibre in older buildings

They did this in our building a couple months back. Added conduit in the halls and then drilled into each unit and put a drop. We basically switched as soon as it was operational and have had less problems than with Rogers.

Then a few weeks ago the Bell sales team was setup in the front hall with 5 people and a flat screen tv trying to encourage everyone entering the building to switch. Pretty aggressive in a 5 story apartment building. I'm sure they got a few switchers...

Bell's operating margin is north of 40% on most products. Given the high cost of capital expenditures for fibre it is around the industry norm.

You sign up for a $100 package that's $40 of profit per month to Bell. Even if they paid 3 months of their profits to the sales people that $12o in commission. So getting 2 sales a day would earn them $240 (or $30/hr).

And Bell has it down to a science. They know when people are walking into the building. Have one person during slow times and from 5-8 pm have the 5 people. If there is a line they may lose the sale!

I'm surprised they added conduit. Most condos and apartments insist on hiding the wires....unless the apartment owner get paid a lot of money from Bell.

Just to round out this topic (which I started a while ago). Our condo building's fibre installation has just finished; Bell. (Beanfield were not interested.) It went far more smoothly than we had anticipated. No owners refused entry, only two Units could not be wired and in both cases they were at the end of the line and the problems were caused by the Unit owners having done (unapproved) renovations in past years. Now we wait to see if any Owners are actually interested in subscribing; we have a Rogers contract so suspect not too many but when that ends we will have somewhat more bargaining power.

Just to round out this topic (which I started a while ago). Our condo building's fibre installation has just finished; Bell. (Beanfield were not interested.) It went far more smoothly than we had anticipated. No owners refused entry, only two Units could not be wired and in both cases they were at the end of the line and the problems were caused by the Unit owners having done (unapproved) renovations in past years. Now we wait to see if any Owners are actually interested in subscribing; we have a Rogers contract so suspect not too many but when that ends we will have somewhat more bargaining power.

A few updates that may help you get even better service:

1. Access to service rooms. In September the CRTC ruled that a condo corp could not restrict a 3rd party from accessing the service room. Basically Bell/Rogers paid the condo management company a bunch of cash to restrict others from competing. CRTC ruled if this happens again the entire condo may be cut off from all services.

2. CRTC also ruled that Bell/Rogers must offer its fibre infrastructure for resale. That means you can use a 3rd party supplier like Teksavvy.

3. CRTC ruled that Bell/Rogers were overcharging these 3rd parties. So the prices have/are going down while Bell's is increasing (expected to go up by $3 in Feb)

4. CRTC has also ruled on contract terms. Even if you signed for a couple of years you MAY be able to terminate the contracts immediately (I don't know much about this so some research may be required)

Yes, residents are not restricted to Bell. Not sure we will ever see figures but it would be interesting to know how many each company manages to sign up.

Yes, residents are not restricted to Bell. Not sure we will ever see figures but it would be interesting to know how many each company manages to sign up.
Just out of curiosity, how long did it take before services were available to you?
My older condo was wired up months ago, and last week Bell was here completing work and hooking up the building to the street. Wonder when I'll actually be able to get the service... I've called Bell, they just say "it comes when it comes" basically. I don't know if that means days, weeks, months...

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take before services were available to you?
My older condo was wired up months ago, and last week Bell was here completing work and hooking up the building to the street. Wonder when I'll actually be able to get the service... I've called Bell, they just say "it comes when it comes" basically. I don't know if that means days, weeks, months...
In our Building the process is still not quite complete. The fibre was brought to each Unit from the main phone closet, the fibre was brought into building from street but they have not yet made the (short) connection between where the fibre comes in from street ad the main phone closet. In our case the conduit from street was not blocked or damaged (apparently something they often find) so all of this was done in about a week and I suspect that the final connection will happen in next couple of weeks. In our case they are now trying to sell us on a 'bulk purchase' and until this is sorted out I doubt they will make any individual connections.

In our Building the process is still not quite complete. The fibre was brought to each Unit from the main phone closet, the fibre was brought into building from street but they have not yet made the (short) connection between where the fibre comes in from street ad the main phone closet. In our case the conduit from street was not blocked or damaged (apparently something they often find) so all of this was done in about a week and I suspect that the final connection will happen in next couple of weeks. In our case they are now trying to sell us on a 'bulk purchase' and until this is sorted out I doubt they will make any individual connections.

What's a bulk purchase? Is that the condo corp "giving" internet as part of the condo fee? And Bell selling a bulk internet line to the condo corp?

Or is it if a certain number of people sign up there is a discount?

What's a bulk purchase? Is that the condo corp "giving" internet as part of the condo fee? And Bell selling a bulk internet line to the condo corp?

Or is it if a certain number of people sign up there is a discount?
It's the Condo Corporation negotiating a multi-year contract for internet service to all Units and charging the fee to the owners as part of monthly fees. Similar to the (very common) cable TV contracts.

Some might find this amusing:

I live in Bayview Mews at Bayview & Sheppard. In January, we received a letter stating "Bell Canada will be installing fibre optic wiring into your suite. This is being done to upgrade the infrastructure of the building to meet current and future technical demands." This was due to begin at the end of February and continue in March.

Received an update a couple days before installation was due to begin. "Due to unforeseen circumstances related to the age of the complex, the project is on hold until further notice."

I guess I won't be getting gigabit speeds anytime this decade then.

Our building is contemplating this right now. Bell is putting the pressure on.

How messy was the process?

What is the size of the equipment in your suite? They are talking about some sort of "jack box." Where does it go?

We are on Bell for Internet. (Our building has a bulk TV deal with Rogers.) All I see on the wall is a double phone jack. One for the phone and one for the modem. How much more complicated does it get? Does it need an electrical outlet?

Our building is contemplating this right now. Bell is putting the pressure on.

How messy was the process?

What is the size of the equipment in your suite? They are talking about some sort of "jack box." Where does it go?

We are on Bell for Internet. (Our building has a bulk TV deal with Rogers.) All I see on the wall is a double phone jack. One for the phone and one for the modem. How much more complicated does it get? Does it need an electrical outlet?
I sent you a pm. Too complex to discuss here.

I am looking for info as well. Condo corp sent us a letter to indicate if you do NOT want bell to wire your suite, please sign here. Bell is scheduled to come in June.

I am looking for info as well. Condo corp sent us a letter to indicate if you do NOT want bell to wire your suite, please sign here. Bell is scheduled to come in June.
We had all our Units wired about 3 months ago, it went surprisingly smoothly. The wire was pulled through existing Bell conduits. In our building we have 'stacked units' so the conduits go from one floor to next and it would have been impossible (or at least very difficult) for them to wire those above if someone had refused. Fortunately nobody did. They add a 'wall box' about size of pack of cigarettes next to an existing phone jack and it really isn't very obtrusive. Even if one does not want to sign up for Bell Fibre, it makes good sense to have your Unit wired as it will certainly become the norm and if a Unit is not wired I bet the selling price will be lower.

Is anyone good here are pulling data from a website? Bell's site now will tell you if your address has fibre to the home (vs fibe). And they don't ask if you are a bot. Would be awesome if someone could pull this down and create a map for all of Toronto.

Back